Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Marijuana is both a depressant and a psychoactive hallucinogen. This means that it has the effects of slowing down your brain and reflexes and destroying your ability to concentrate and focus, plus mind-altering effects which vary from person to person. Some people get relaxed and mellow while others get more and more anxious, paranoid or depressed.

Frequent pot users may find themselves in a total slump, called amotivational syndrome, in which the drive to do well in school and elsewhere vanishes.

You may have heard about THC, tetrahydrocannabinol, the "main" mind-altering substance in pot. Marijuana has been grown much more carefully in recent years, which means that there's much more THC in today's marijuana than in that of the 1960s-- in some cases 10 times more. That means that today's pot is about ten times stronger than that of yesteryear.

Talk about THC usually ignores one important fact: marijuana is a cauldron of more that 400 active chemicals, some of which work together to create marijuana's effects on the body. Many of these chemicals can cause cancer. Smoking pot gets these chemicals to the brain and lungs even faster, where they are readily absorbed.

So what does pot do to the body? Not all of the effects are fully explored. We do know that pot can cause:

Lung damage: 1 smoked joint has about the effect of smoking five cigarettes.
Eye, throat and mouth irritation.
Cancer.
Memory lapses and inability to concentrate.
Temporary increase in heart rate and blood pressure, which can lead to more serious circulatory problems over time.
Decreased resistance to diseases.
Decreased sexual drive and decreased sperm count in men.
Taking marijuana in combination with other drugs can be very dangerous. Marijuana can increase the intoxicating effects of other drugs, and the increase in heart rate and blood pressure which marijuana causes can create a serious emergency. Using marijuana with any other drug, prescription or nonprescription, is a VERY bad idea.

Alcohol and marijuana taken together can be particularly lethal. When you've consumed too much alcohol, your body's natural reaction is to vomit, removing some of the excess alcohol. Marijuana acts to prevent vomiting, so alcohol poisoning may occur much more quickly since more alcohol remains in the body.
So to avoid wasting valuable alcohol by vomiting, always smoke a joint with it

Well, most people could come up with 10 reasons not to drink milk, and then they can word those reasons so they sound like something serious and life threataning to the normal person. The only thing that's different in this case is that it's marijuana and not milk.

-Joints being worse than ci's: that's only because people that smoke weed hold the smoke in longer and don't exhale automaticly like someone smoking a ci would.
-Lung damage: yes, it exists, but so what? billions of people smoke ci's so why not actually make it worthwhile and get a high from it?
-eye, throat, mouth irritation: only because of the smoke, and it's not a long term problem
-cancer: wasn't lung damage already mentioned? Besides, just about anything causes cancer these days.
-memory lapses and inability to concentrate: honestly only memory lapses I have are from the times I've actually been high, and I can concentrate more easily if anything.
-Temporary increase in heart rate and blood pressure: ok, if that's the case then wouldn't it be unsafe to exercize because that does the same thing?
-Decreased resistance to diseases: I bet you got this from a site with a DARE logo.
-Decreased sexual drive and decreased sperm count in men: never heard this one before, probably just another thing to scare kids. It's probably not long term, and besides mountain dew is said to do the same thing yet it's not illegal
-Taking marijuana in combination with other drugs can be very dangerous: This is besides the point.

orion said:

Well, most people could come up with 10 reasons not to drink milk, and then they can word those reasons so they sound like something serious and life threataning to the normal person. The only thing that's different in this case is that it's marijuana and not milk.

-Joints being worse than ci's: that's only because people that smoke weed hold the smoke in longer and don't exhale automaticly like someone smoking a ci would.
-Lung damage: yes, it exists, but so what? billions of people smoke ci's so why not actually make it worthwhile and get a high from it?
-eye, throat, mouth irritation: only because of the smoke, and it's not a long term problem
-cancer: wasn't lung damage already mentioned? Besides, just about anything causes cancer these days.
-memory lapses and inability to concentrate: honestly only memory lapses I have are from the times I've actually been high, and I can concentrate more easily if anything.
-Temporary increase in heart rate and blood pressure: ok, if that's the case then wouldn't it be unsafe to exercize because that does the same thing?
-Decreased resistance to diseases: I bet you got this from a site with a DARE logo.
-Decreased sexual drive and decreased sperm count in men: never heard this one before, probably just another thing to scare kids. It's probably not long term, and besides mountain dew is said to do the same thing yet it's not illegal
-Taking marijuana in combination with other drugs can be very dangerous: This is besides the point.

Yeah, well, people who smoke cigs are bigger idiots than those who smoke MJ. Second, it does fuck with you dopamine deposites and kill off Gametes. The tests were done in England mostly, if I recall.

orion said:

This is besides the point.

No, it's a drug edu site actually

Office of Education for Health and Wellness, Johns Hopkins University
AMR II, Room 0223 410-516-8396

http://www.jhu.edu/~health/mmarijuana.htmlReferenced with Workshop on the Medical Uses of Marijuana, Report to the Director, National Institutes of Health, by the Ad Hoc Group of Experts. http://www.health.org/pubs/qdocs/marij/medicalmarijuana.htm
National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws. http://www.natlnorml.org
Higher Education Center for Alcohol and Other Drug Prevention. http://www.edc.org/hec/
National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information http://www.health.org/
California's medical marijuana act, the Compassionate Use Act of 1996. http://Vote96.ss.ca.gov/Vote96/html/BP/215text.htm

Seriously though, here's how you can tell it's bad for you:
If it wasn't there'd be a major place in the market for it right now, and people would get richer than Gates selling it. Think about it... it's a product that people want bad because they get hooked on it, like cigs.
This goes for America mostly, since some of our sellers try to get away with everything.

JavaGuy said:

Seriously though, here's how you can tell it's bad for you:
If it wasn't there'd be a major place in the market for it right now, and people would get richer than Gates selling it. Think about it... it's a product that people want bad because they get hooked on it, like cigs.
This goes for America mostly, since some of our sellers try to get away with everything.

omg, that has to be the dumbest thing I've heard in ages.

You're basicly saying drugs that make people that sell them richer than Bill Gates aren't bad huh? So why the fuck wont you go out and buy some coke? After all Pablo Eskabar used to sell that in the tons and he was way richer than Bill Gates.

Another thing, weed isn't addictive, I don't know how dumb you really must be to not know that. Freaking don't ever call me an idiot again, or anyone else for that matter!

orion said:

omg, that has to be the dumbest thing I've heard in ages.

Another thing, weed isn't addictive, I don't know how dumb you really must be to not know that. Freaking don't ever call me an idiot again, or anyone else for that matter!

Welllll...Mark Stanford, Ph.D., Program Manager IDADS Addiction Medicine & Therapy Program States..."Every year, over 120,000 people seek treatment for primary marijuana addiction. Yet even health care professionals still ask whether marijuana is addictive. The American Society of Addiction Medicine states that "A drug is addicting if it causes compulsive, often uncontrollable drug craving, seeking, and use, even in the face of negative health and social consequences. Marijuana meets this criterion."Recent research shows that marijuana causes physical dependence, tolerance, and a characteristic withdrawal syndrome when heavy users abruptly stop using. In other research, subjects reported irritability, stomach pain,aggression, and anxiety when they stopped getting THC (marijuana's main psychoactive component) orally. The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) has found that regular marijuana smokers suffer withdrawal symptoms when they stop using, and may continue using to prevent the irritability and discomfort associated with withdrawal.According to NIDA Senior Investigator Billy Martin, "The fact that people do seek treatment for marijuana dependence is evidence of marijuana withdrawal in humans."In 1997, D.E. Smith and R.B. Seymour (founders and directors of the Haight Ashbury Free Clinics) wrote that there is "ample evidence that cannabis is a dangerous substance" and that increased potency in recent years has increased both the danger and the factors that lead to physical dependence. They, too, noted that chronic users have the profile of addictive disease (i.e., compulsion, loss of control, and continued use in the presence of adverse consequences). Marijuana addicts often do well in recovery programs like Marijuana Anonymous (similar to Alcoholics Anonymous), and Smith and Seymour stated"...chronic marijuana smokers in long-term recovery comment that it was several years into abstinence before they were truly aware of the adverse effects marijuana had on their thinking and behavior."

Well, yes...but so do chips, Betcha can't eat just one!

That's saying the exact same thing. If someone likes something a lot (like, say, the effects of THC) They'll continue to use/consume it (like, say, a bag of M&Ms)

Comparing marijuana to cigarettes in carcinogenic value is a funny thing: When was the last time you smoked a pack of joints a day?

Lung problems can be avoided by simmering it in butter and making something tasty out of it.

BTW, how old is that research? Could it be biased? I wouldn't put it past them...

stop taking what I say so literally, people can be addicted to anything, no exceptions, but normally, in a normal human, weed isn't addictive. It can be to some people, but after all doritos might be addictive to someone aswell.

TheHighestTree said:

Comparing marijuana to cigarettes in carcinogenic value is a funny thing: When was the last time you smoked a pack of joints a day?

well, here we do smoke more than once a day, usually dutches, we'll have one going around, when that one's done we'll smoke another one. Usually we smoke about 2 or 3, but sometimes there's a chance we'll smoke 8 or 9. Our reason to get to gether isn't because we want to smoke, smokeing is just something we do to keep ourselvs entertained.

Meh.I've never smoked joints or done coke.Dont get me wrong though, I aint no damn goodie tooshoes. I dont care if people do it, I have a lot of friends that smoke it. If I dont do it, it's not a problem to them.Besides.But I prefer drinking anyways.Thats just me, dont flame me please.

I don't see how you can prefer something to something you've never tried. I don't care what no one says, smoking weed is safer and healthier than getting drunk. I don't know which is better, being high or being drunk, I guess that varies for most people.

Do I detect someone getting upset, it's not like Im bashing on anything.Im not an alchoholic that gets drunk 24:7 and beats people to death.But weed is safer then booze for sure.

I wasn't trying to say, Orion, that you're an idiot. I was merely stating that there are others who do dumber things (since we're all stupid in one way or another).

And After all:
stop taking what I say so literally...

And btw, I know some people that are addicted to MJ and others who aren't. I just happened to know many more who ARE. And with the whole selling drugs thing, I'm saying that buisinesses try to sell something that people will buy. So if MJ didn't have harmful effects, it's be hot on the market because it wouldn't be dangerous to make it illegal, and people would buy it. I'm not saying that bad drigs aren't selling legally (cigs, alchohol) but the government tries not to go overboard.

orion said:

stop taking what I say so literally... but after all doritos might be addictive to someone aswell.

orion said:

I can't have 1 minute without drugs going into my head.

How often will someone say they can't have 1 minute without thinking of Doritos?

A word on addiction: Addiction is when the brain craves the reaction of a certain substance over the reaction to almost anything else, except for a stronger stimulus.
Dopamine is the chemical in your brain that controls positive emotions and that part of the brain is linked to memory. When certain stimuli come along, dopamine is released into neural pathways, thus saying to your brain "Hey, I like this. I'll remember that so if I ever see this again I know to go for it." When the dopamine is done in the pathways, it is recycled because it's not reused.
A drug like MJ or cocain blocks the dopamine from getting back in, holding it in the pathways longer. Unforunatly, this unreplaceable substance washes away. This is why users of stronger drugs are eventually depressed.
Addiction is when the brain recognized the drug as the strongest stimuli, and craves that more than anything else. It masks the memories that tell you you get dopamine from eating good foods (to live) or have sex (to reproduce).

I used to be addicted to cream soda. It was pathetic, but true. You can get addicted to anything really.

And AFAIK alcohol is worse than weed.

I mean, how often do you hear of someone dying from smoking too much weed. Yet people die from alcohol poisoning all the time.

the_Danarchist said:

I used to be addicted to cream soda. It was pathetic, but true. You can get addicted to anything really.

Uh, heh, that's more of a mental problem, not a physical addiction :P

the_Danarchist said:

And AFAIK alcohol is worse than weed.

I mean, how often do you hear of someone dying from smoking too much weed. Yet people die from alcohol poisoning all the time.

It's all in your mind man!

Lüt said:

Uh, heh, that's more of a mental problem, not a physical addiction :P

Actualy, I was addicted to the caffine in it. For some reason though, I usualy filled my caffine urge with A&W cream soda. Now I hate the stuff.

actually a mental addiction can be a bitch to. A coke addiction is purelly mental, and most people can't get out of it once they get into it.

nightmare imp said:

Do I detect someone getting upset, it's not like Im bashing on anything.Im not an alchoholic that gets drunk 24:7 and beats people to death.But weed is safer then booze for sure.

you misinterprited what I was saying, I was just stating facts, I don't really care if you prefer paper over weed, really doesn't make a difference in my life.

JavaGuy said:

And btw, I know some people that are addicted to MJ and others who aren't. I just happened to know many more who ARE. And with the whole selling drugs thing, I'm saying that buisinesses try to sell something that people will buy. So if MJ didn't have harmful effects, it's be hot on the market because it wouldn't be dangerous to make it illegal, and people would buy it. I'm not saying that bad drigs aren't selling legally (cigs, alchohol) but the government tries not to go overboard.

I'm pretty sure 80% of our school smokes weed, and about half of them do coke, about 25% of the ones that do coke also do heroin. How many people use it doesn't mean much when it comes to how bad the drug is. Anyway, it's true that my life revolves around drugs, but that doesn't mean I'm addicted to them, I just have a passion for them. Like some people can't stop thinking about getting laid, or can't stop thinking about their car, I can't stop thinking of more ways to experiment with my own self (chemicly). I assure you all the drugs I have done I could quit if I really had the reason to, but since I don't why should I?

Aha, here's where my post went =)

Damn mods, constantly moving threads everywhere...:P

the_Danarchist said:

Actualy, I was addicted to the caffine in it. For some reason though, I usualy filled my caffine urge with A&W cream soda. Now I hate the stuff.

DR. PEPPER

orion said:

I'm pretty sure 80% of our school smokes weed, and about half of them do coke, about 25% of the ones that do coke also do heroin. How many people use it doesn't mean much when it comes to how bad the drug is. Anyway, it's true that my life revolves around drugs, but that doesn't mean I'm addicted to them, I just have a passion for them. Like some people can't stop thinking about getting laid, or can't stop thinking about their car, I can't stop thinking of more ways to experiment with my own self (chemicly). I assure you all the drugs I have done I could quit if I really had the reason to, but since I don't why should I?

I do know people who haven't gotten addicted to it, but still, I know plenty of people who have. And sex is along the same lines as drugs as far as the way you can be addicted to it goes. Anyway, like I said, I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else who smokes (my fav band leaders smokes MJ) but I think ciggarettes are pretty stupid, and I have an associate who's been smoke for 40 years to back me up. Said it's the worst thing they've ever done in their life. Gives you cancer, it's addictive, and isn't even as good as MJ (AFAIK). I was just saying that you may as well do MJ if you're going to do anything.

You should never get involved with anything stronger though. Heroine and Cocain -are- stupid, and I don't care who I offend saying that users of those drugs were being idiots at the time of their decision. Too late for most of them though.

said this about 3 times already in this thread, but I can't stress this enough. If you have the money to support a coke addiction, go for it. It's not actually that bad of a drug, sure you can OD from it, but most people can controll themselves and if you have the money to fuck with coke in the first place you probably wouldn't mind testing out the coke before snorting it to see how pure it is. The only real reason it is known as such a bad drug is because morons get themselves addicted to it without considering their financial status and end up dieing on the streets starving for food. I'm pretty sure if you ignore the addiction, it's actually a less harmfull drug than ectasy is. However, not many people make more than 150,000 a year, yet a shit load of people do coke.

I can see this isn't going to get anywhere... not that that matters. In any case, I got a question for you Orion. What sort of weapon would you hold as a Moose in a deathmatch (for the comic I'm going to draw sooner or later)