Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

PSX Sounds in Doom before PSX Doom

Here's something I found pretty strange. Some deathmatch wads that have sound replacements, such as MANCERX.wad (and others in the series) use sounds that are heard in PSX Doom. In MANCERX's case, both the pistol sound and the shotgun sound from PSX Doom are found in the wad.

If I'm reading this correctly, MANCERX.WAD (427KB) on my hard drive said it was last modified on October 13, 1995. (despite the /idgames entry being from 01/14/1996) The Doom wiki states PSX Doom was released on November 16, 1995. I understand many sounds in Doom come from a sound library, but is it purely coincidence that this wad happens to use both sounds that appeared in the game? Was there a leaked copy of the game that they were able to rip the sounds from before it was officially released? Is it possible that custom Doom 2 PWADs perhaps inspired the sound effects choices that were used in PSX Doom?

40oz said:

Is it possible that custom Doom 2 PWADs perhaps inspired the sound effects choices that were used in PSX Doom?

That's the most logical option if you ask me, but it's hard to believe the dev team made such crucial decisions as the choice of sound effects only a month before the release.

Guest Unregistered account

Just today I was exploring the dark and dusty corners of the /idgames archive when I came across... SPACER1.wad. I even stated in the review I gave it how it couldn't possibly be a 1994 wad (which it looked like upon fisrt glance), as it uses the PSX Doom/Doom 64 Shotgun blast sound effect.