Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Which shovelware cd is this?

I got it in Australia, so maybe it wasn't released in the rest of the world... as well as doom levels, it had duke 3d ones. However all the doom 1 levels had been converted to doom 2. IIRC all the wads were dumped in the one folder, and I think they had the text files with them as well.

Could it be 3D Nightmares? If not, you could try asking GreyGhost, he's got a lot of those, and I think he's from Australia too.

A few of my CDs contain a mix of Doom and Duke3D content, but none match that description. You could try browsing this collection and see if any of the pictures jog your memory.

GreyGhost said:

A few of my CDs contain a mix of Doom and Duke3D content, but none match that description. You could try browsing this collection and see if any of the pictures jog your memory.

I noticed on that site a Doom 1 megawad called "Into the Fire". Does anybody know anything about it? Google has no answers. :/

Here's a pic of the disk in question...

I think "Into the Fire" started out as an edit of Episode 2 to make it more difficult, mainly by adding more monsters. Haven't looked at the other two episodes but I suspect it's the same set of Episode 2 maps with the map markers edited to suit episodes 1 and 3. You'll probably also find it's 24 maps, unless someone's added ExM7 to the set.

GreyGhost said:

I think "Into the Fire" started out as an edit of Episode 2 to make it more difficult, mainly by adding more monsters. Haven't looked at the other two episodes but I suspect it's the same set of Episode 2 maps with the map markers edited to suit episodes 1 and 3. You'll probably also find it's 24 maps, unless someone's added ExM7 to the set.

Sounds like Brutalized Doom (& Doom 2) to me, except I probably put way more work into that than ITF.

OK, maybe if you could remember one or two specific wads or utilities or something that might help us narrow down the search. The thing is, there are dozens, maybe even hundreds of shovelware CDs out there, and some of them are so obscure that I'm sure no one here has ever seen them. So really, anything could be helpful: the color of the cover, of the CD, publisher, if it came inside a magazine, year, etc. I hope this helps.

Yeah, I agree. I have on record here some 50+ shovelware compilations for Doom alone. Then there are ones that have levels for many games, like Doom + Duke Nukem 3D, etc. Many of these are known only by textual info and no scans.

It would be interesting to find this "Into the Fire" thing, just in order to find out how crappy it is. :P

According to some BBS info, there is a file called INTOFIRE.ZIP, but it's too small for a megawad. The description says it only replaces the second DOOM level (I guess they mean the shareware version).

NightFright said:

The description says it only replaces the second DOOM level (I guess they mean the shareware version).

That description's incorrect, it replaces the second episode. Still doesn't make it a megawad, though the same author (and I'm applying the loosest possible definition of that word) apparently also released an Episode 1 replacement called "Hell's Bells", which I don't recall having seen but wouldn't be surprised if it's just the IWAD maps with more monsters. He may well have given Episode 3 the same treatment in order to have a megawad to release.

I've seen the single-episode "Into the Fire" elsewhere with renamed maps (four sets of renamed maps in fact) and thought some might have been edited to run in other episodes, but no, they're all for Episode 2. Probably the work of some lazy sod who wanted to improve his upload/download rating on the local BBS.

Well, I guess there's a reason you don't find this on the net. There are so many other megawads out there which are actually good that the world will probably survive if this never sees daylight again. :)