Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dg93

**Deathmatch Revival** FINISHED!

doomguy93 said:

Alright sounds good :) Just a couple of requests: Focus on gameplay over graphics. The map is not required to look super pretty like MAP 13's "No Fun Zone" but make sure it isn't a total eyesore. Also, don't get too fancy with overusing things like lifts/ teleports/ or crazy obstacles. Just make sure it flows well and it is well balanced between weapons/power ups/health packs etc... And have it play tested numerous times not just by you/bots, but by other doomers.

Pretty no!!! Not a chance!! It should flow though, quite basic if I'm honest for what I have in mind.

Dave

Inkie said:

I suppose I could find a spot for one.

What would you say is wrong about the item placement? I'm not taking offense, I just would like some more details on what is good and bad.

The item/thing placement isn't horrible at all. What I noticed is that the "DM players starts" start off with just a pistol and I think it would be a good idea if they are placed directly on the weapon. Like the ones that are near the two chainguns and rocket launchers. Have the "DM player starts" moved directly on them so the player can grab the gun without having to run around for a few seconds with a pistol. That is what most DM mappers do these days.

Inkie said:

Here's a version with the edits you wanted:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2h96sfd2rkvpfpu/DMWSv2.wad

-Bumped up to Boom format
-Added a couple corridors, and two lifts triggered by shooting buttons
-Moved dm spawns much closer to weapons
-The added corridors contain the 7th and 8th spawns as well as ssg's
-Lowering one of the lifts allows access to plasma rifles

Much better job. I like the lifts triggered by the player shooting the switches. I'm just going to lower the switches on the wall just slightly because it it will make it a bit easier to shoot at. I like the new corridors and the dm player starts being closer to weapons.

-Thanks for your contribution, I appreciate it. You are on the list of authors!

Phendrena said:

Pretty no!!! Not a chance!! It should flow though, quite basic if I'm honest for what I have in mind.

Dave

That's good to hear lol A good DM map doesn't necessarily mean "pretty." I'm glad you understand that. Unfortunately, some of the chaps who participated earlier in this project didn't understand that. They focused on making overly detailed maps with horrible gameplay than maps with good gameplay.

mrthejoshmon said:

@doomguy93, I guess I could call it: Duke it Out

That's fine, you can name it that.

@Omegalore, I know you submitted a map way back when this project started and it really wasn't suitable for DM. I'm sure by now you have improved upon your editing skills. However, at the moment I am waiting on two new submission to fill in maps 27 & 28. So I really don't want anymore maps.

But there is a chance that MAP20 (Soul Recycler) will be cut because it is not suitable for DM. I tried reaching out to the author "Enzo03" and he hasn't responded back. I give it by the weekend for him to respond and decide on what to do with it. If the map gets cut, then there is a spot for you.

Captain Toenail said:

Hello. I just found your PM now - I am not the author of Soul Recycler so I cannot really help you out there.

Nevermind, after digging into one of Doomkid92's betas, I found out that Enzo03 is the author of "Soul Recycler."

Hi,

My map is well under way and at this point I can take it in two directions, but before I pick a path I have a quick question regarding the following:

3) Port specific features used need to be 100% cross compatible between these two source ports: Zandronum and Odamex.

Do both of these support features such as 3D Floors & Deep Water (ZDoom, D-in-H format) ? I've had a look through a good selection of the maps in the current beta release, not all the maps I admit, but from the ones I have looked at I can't see those two features being used although I have seen the use of transparent lines.

Thanks,

Dave

Phendrena said:

Hi,

My map is well under way and at this point I can take it in two directions, but before I pick a path I have a quick question regarding the following:

Do both of these support features such as 3D Floors & Deep Water (ZDoom, D-in-H format) ? I've had a look through a good selection of the maps in the current beta release, not all the maps I admit, but from the ones I have looked at I can't see those two features being used although I have seen the use of transparent lines.

Thanks,

Dave

That's good to hear that your map is in progress. I know for a fact that Zandronum supports Deep water and I think Odamex does too.

I am positive that Zandronum supports 3D floors as well, however I am unsure if Odamex can support that. I recently tried to playtesting my (WIP) beta 2 on Odamex offline, and it is giving me error messages. I have to look into that and try to fix it.
A few maps are in zdoom (Doom in Hexen Format), but the majority are in zdoom (Doom in Doom Format).
I edited MAP10 with 3D floors, but they are most likely going to be removed until I figure out a way to obtain the BFG without the need of jumping.

Hi,

Glad deep water is supported across both clients, not so good for 3D floors as they are simple enough to do and can add a lot to the level design. I'll play it safe and not use 3D floors at the moment.

Dave

Phendrena said:

Hi,

Glad deep water is supported across both clients, not so good for 3D floors as they are simple enough to do and can add a lot to the level design. I'll play it safe and not use 3D floors at the moment.

Dave

Good thinking, no 3D floors, although they are cool in my opinion.

joe-ilya said:

The map is very odd looking, but surprisingly the gameplay is pretty solid. The only thing I don't particularly like is the route to the BFG. It's a keeper, it just needs some slight adjustment. Another thing that I noticed was that there were two sectors with slopes. Does Odamex support slopes?

doomguy93 said:

The map is very odd looking, but surprisingly the gameplay is pretty solid. The only thing I don't particularly like is the route to the BFG. It's a keeper, it just needs some slight adjustment. Another thing that I noticed was that there were two sectors with slopes. Does Odamex support slopes?

Yes it does. tested my old fail DM Map on there since it does have slopes. No problem ;)

Omegalore said:

Yes it does. tested my old fail DM Map on there since it does have slopes. No problem ;)

Thanks Omegalore! Are you still thinking about making a new map?

Hey guys, here is an update on the progress for the upcoming second beta: A lot was done over the past week. There are only a few that are in need of some editing and it looks like we are getting very close to the homestretch.

I am still waiting on Enzo03's response on what to do with MAP20.

MAP28 is reserved for Phendrena's map that is still in progress.

The new "DMR_beta 2" will have some new MIDIs, sounds, and sprites, as well as some new SKY patches too.

doomguy93 said:

Thanks Omegalore! Are you still thinking about making a new map?

Yes since the one I made was a complete fail. Didn't know what I was doing a the time.

Now I'm ready to try again soon and will get serious.

Omegalore said:

Yes since the one I made was a complete fail. Didn't know what I was doing a the time.

Now I'm ready to try again soon and will get serious.

Awesome man. Nobody starts off with a superb map the first time. My maps weren't the best either back then. What really helped me become a better mapper was by playing numerous DM wads and acquiring some new design styles from them. Also constructive criticism from the doom community helped me learn a lot from my previous editing mistakes.

joe-ilya said:

I'll take MAP28.

MAP28 is reserved for Phendrena. However, Joepallai and I are considering cutting map05, so if you want to make a new map go for it.

Hey DMR team, DMR beta 2 is now released: http://www.mediafire.com/download/t7jsnnicelt0f62/DMR_DG93+beta+2.zip

LIST OF NEW MAPS:

MAP06 "Duke It Out" by mrthejoshmon
MAP14 "Gothic Halls: by me (doomguy93)
MAP21 "Water Station" by Inkie
MAP27 "Brickge" by joe-ilya
MAP35 "Way Of War" by ThinkCircle

LIST OF CUT MAPS:

MAP20 "Soul Recycler" by Enzo03

======================================================================

Quite a lot has been done to some of the maps.

[Maps edited]

MAP03: Made an exit.

MAP04: Widened 4 beams on ceiling.

MAP06: Added mrthejoshmon's new map "Duke It Out" and slightly modified it making it wider for better gameplay.

MAP10: Added some extra corridor routes/edited textures. I also added computers/barrels to make the map look more like a "Power Plant." I also replaced the old MIDI (which I never liked) to a new one. The new MIDI just needs to be edited with louder amplitude.

MAP11: Slightly edited my map.

MAP13: I just added the latest contents given to me by Joepallai.

MAP14: Added my map "Gothic Halls" in replace of Ogre's "Creamatorium."

MAP15: I removed the inescapable pit and edited the blue lights. The sky texture was also changed to a blue sky.

MAP16: Contains route edits/ thing placement/ textures/ and removed lifts by Joepallai.

MAP17: Contains some edited item placement.

MAP19: I made the lifts much faster.

MAP21: Added a new map called "Water Station" made by Inkie.

MAP23: The only editing I've done was I made a few 'lindefs' impassable so no player jumps over and gets themselves trapped.

MAP24: Updated the contents of the latest version Joepallai recently gave me and edited a few 'linedefs' so none of the players jump into the large sector.

MAP25: Updated the contents of Katzune's map that Joepallai gave me. This one might need some slight editing just to make it look nice. Overall, it plays well in my opinion.

MAP27: I removed mrthejoshmon's "You're Damned" map (by his request) and replaced it with joe-ilya's new map "Brickge." It plays pretty well despite the fact that the map is rather odd looking. It's a keeper. The only thing I would like to edit is the route to the BFG9000. I personally don't like the obstacle/jumping aspect to reach the BFG. It just not suitable for DM. Techniques like that were used a lot during the 90's and since it is 2013, I consider that to be 'archaic' in my opinion. The old MIDI has been replaced with a new one given to me by joe-ilya. It just needs to be amplified a little bit in a sound editor.

MAP28: I removed the "Grand Void." It just isn't suitable for DM. It is currently open for a new map that Phendrena is currently working on.

MAP29: This was the E3M1 level "Switcherdoom!" I added a new MIDI and changed the sky texture. It is a very good map for DM. I don't know why Doomkid92 added a Doom 1 map slot (E3M1).... I found that rather odd.

MAP30: Fixed the missing waterfall textures/ updated the new author names/ added an exit.

MAP33: This contains the latest contents of Walter Confalonieri's "Suicide House." That silly floating BFG is gone too. This is better in my opinion.

MAP35: This is the new "Way of War" map by ThinkCircle. I love this map, it is one of my favorites! I added a new MIDI that suits the level quite well. The gameplay is superior and in my opinion, the layout it perfect.

[Maps I am uncertain about]
MAP05: I like this map, but for some reason I feel like the flow is a bit broken. I think this has to do with the unusual “L” shaped layout. I think this map could be fixed up, but I am just unsure how to do so.

MAP08: I think this could use some better item/DM player starts just for better gameplay. The detailing it fine and it looks nice. The switch that lowers the plasma rifle has a very strange glitch… I notice that it floats it the air when the lift lowers and the player picks it up when he stands on the platform as it raises. I have to see how I can fix this.

Overall, there is still a bit more to be done. I think it will take at least two more betas until we can consider this project finished. We are almost at the homestretch with this.

Let me know what you guys think.

I want everybody to playtest ALL of these levels. You can skip maps 20 and 28 because they are open maps.

Please give your opinions on the following: MAP05, MAP07, MAP08, MAP09, MAP14, MAP16, MAP21, MAP24, MAP27, and MAP35.

Also you are free to give opinions on any other maps that you think are good or bad or needs some improvement.

This beta also contains some new MIDIs, sprites, and sounds. Let me know what you guys think of them.
There is also a new text file I crafted along with a Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet of each level slot.

More to come!
-DG93

I'm not participating in this project, but I did take a look at the WAD itself. I did notice that you have both a D_MAP31 music lump and a D_EVIL music lump. According to the MAPINFO the D_MAP31 lump plays on MAP31, but the D_EVIL MIDI is unused.

Hurricyclone said:

I'm not participating in this project, but I did take a look at the WAD itself. I did notice that you have both a D_MAP31 music lump and a D_EVIL music lump. According to the MAPINFO the D_MAP31 lump plays on MAP31, but the D_EVIL MIDI is unused.

The DMR beta wads have some extraneous lumps and others data that will be removed or modified before the finished version is made public. Thanks for noticing that though.

Hi all,

Probably an easy answer to this.....
How do I test my map in Odamex/Zandronum/ZDaemon??
I can't see anything obvious that sticks out at me tbh.

Thanks,

Dave