Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dg93

**Deathmatch Revival** FINISHED!

Guest Unregistered account

Oh... oops. I was using Skulltag_data.pk3 textures. X(

Hey DMR team, beta 3 is now available for playtesting. Significant progress has been done to some maps. Sounds and sprites have been altered. A DEHACKED file was also added into the wad for the pistol and mini-gun.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/p4b2qy8bma3k6qd/DMR_DG93+beta+3.zip

Use Zandronum or Skulltag to play DMR Beta 3. It still does not work with Odamex.
MAP05 was replaced with my map 'Space Station' along with a new midi
MAP09 is a brand new map submitted by joe-ilya
MAP10 has been revised with a new midi and removed computers
MAP13 contains TheMionicDonut's latest version of 'No Fun Zone'
MAP14 removed a few barrels and changed midi
MAP16 contains latest version of 'Deathmatch Prision'
MAP20 contains Omegalore's new map with a new midi. I like this one a lot.
MAP21 contains Inkie's new map with a new midi.
MAP24 contains latest edited version of 'Splatter House'
MAP25 contains latest edited version of 'Judgement'
MAP26 contains latest edited version of 'Hell Halls' with a new custom midi
MAP27 contains latest edited version of joe-ilya's map 'Brickage'
MAP28 contains latest edited version of Phendrena's map 'Dihydrogen Monoxide'
MAP30 and MAP35 have been swapped (Maps were not altered in any way, just changed level slot)

I also edited the super shotgun sound by Captain Toenail's request and made it with a little more of an oomph. A new plasma and pistol sound was added too. Mini-gun sprites were added in replace of the chaingun. It is much faster too, which in my opinion actually improves the DM gameplay.

Please go through ALL the maps and critique everything (Levels, MIDIs, sounds, sprites, etc...)

Beta 3 will be publicly playtested on a Zandronum server. I will update you guys asap when online playtesting is scheduled. DMR is looking very good!

-DG93

While I like what you did with MAP09, I still don't understand why would the blue armor gets replaced for a backpack and some bulllets and why is there a partial invisibility sphere on top of the grey grading?

I also noticed that poster with doomguy posing with his SSG in MAP35, I think it should be a fake wall so he won't look ruined and dead. I also found out that when you lower the plasma gun in the map it will raise again but with the rocket it had near it and will look like it's floating which is wierd.

I was actually suggested to make a secret sector where the lamp is in the brown structure with a megasphere. Because the megaspere gives the player full health anx armor, I figured that the mega armor would have been unnecessary.

The partial invisibility power up was my idea because I thought it needed something there. I jumped into that gray structure and got stuck in it so I raised the sector up to fix that.

I never noticed the error you pointed out in the Credits map. I'll take a look at it right away.

I can tell you now that a megasphere is far too much even on its own. I would also not use blue armour personally as that is still pushing the boundary and renders hit scan weapons a chore to use. Use a soul sphere, there should never be an excuse to use a megasphere.

Springy said:

I can tell you now that a megasphere is far too much even on its own. I would also not use blue armour personally as that is still pushing the boundary and renders hit scan weapons a chore to use. Use a soul sphere, there should never be an excuse to use a megasphere.

I'll take the megasphere replacement into thought. Map 28 has megaspheres but adds to a more fun and challenging DM gameplay.

doomguy93 said:

I'll take the megasphere replacement into thought. Map 28 has megaspheres but adds to a more fun and challenging DM gameplay.

I'll take your word for it but I just see it as giving a huge advantage to someone, rather like facing all spawns towards one weapon, someone's going to get said weapon (SSG for example) and dominate the whole game meaning a huge advantage to a player. I tried something like that in one of my latest maps and found it to be the opposite of fun.

Springy said:

I'll take your word for it but I just see it as giving a huge advantage to someone, rather like facing all spawns towards one weapon, someone's going to get said weapon (SSG for example) and dominate the whole game meaning a huge advantage to a player. I tried something like that in one of my latest maps and found it to be the opposite of fun.

I understand what you saying. In map 28 all players spawn with a megasphere, super shotgun and mini-gun so it is fair and balanced.

doomguy93 said:

I understand what you saying. In map 28 all players spawn with a megasphere, super shotgun and mini-gun so it is fair and balanced.

Now that is a good exception, I can see myself liking that. This is however my opinion but quite a few players may disagree with a megasphere just placed on a map. Anyway, can't wait for release I assume Doom Kid isn't contributing anymore? Oh, what happened to Joe? Hold on a tickle, minigun? Is this not cross compatible anymore or is this a custom made one for all ports?

Springy said:

Now that is a good exception, I can see myself liking that. This is however my opinion but quite a few players may disagree with a megasphere just placed on a map. Anyway, can't wait for release I assume Doom Kid isn't contributing anymore? Oh, what happened to Joe? Hold on a tickle, minigun? Is this not cross compatible anymore or is this a custom made one for all ports?

Doomkid has not contributed to this project in over 7 months. Joe Pallai is still active with the project. However, DMR is now under my management. Yes, I replaced the chaingun sprites with the mini-gun from skulltag and added a DEHACKED file that changes the speed of the pistol/mini-gun. It works well in my opinion and the opinion of Joe Pallai.

Right now DMR only works for Zandronum/Skulltag. There is something wrong with the PNAMES that is causing Odamex to crash. I need someone to take a look at that and help me fix that.

doomguy93 said:

Doomkid has not contributed to this project in over 7 months. Joe Pallai is still active with the project. However, DMR is now under my management. Yes, I replaced the chaingun sprites with the mini-gun from skulltag and added a DEHACKED file that changes the speed of the pistol/mini-gun. It works well in my opinion and the opinion of Joe Pallai.

Right now DMR only works for Zandronum/Skulltag. There is something wrong with the PNAMES that is causing Odamex to crash. I need someone to take a look at that and help me fix that.

The speed bit I think would be great, seeing as it will provide an excuse to use those weapons. For your Odamex issue; your best bet is to go on the Odamex channel on IRC and ask Dr Sean. He can provide an answer to that query.

Springy said:

For your Odamex issue; your best bet is to go on the Odamex channel on IRC and ask Dr Sean. He can provide an answer to that query.

Thank you for providing me with a proper contact. Hopefully, the error will get resolved.

Decay would like his map withdrawn he says, please. Someone implemented changes without permission also, he said something about the new weapons which after trying them I kind of have to agree on.

Springy said:

Decay would like his map withdrawn he says, please. Someone implemented changes without permission also, he said something about the new weapons which after trying them I kind of have to agree on.

The only changes that have been implemented in his map were a new midi and an exit. That is literally it. Everything else is the same. Is decay on the doomworld forums or on zandronum?

Springy said:

Zandrobum. Map 26 "Hell Halls" to be specific.

I'm going to get in contact him. I just want to ask why he wants it withdrawn. Honestly, it would be a shameful loss to lose "Hell Halls" because it was a good DM map.

doomguy93 said:

I'm going to get in contact him. I just want to ask why he wants it withdrawn. Honestly, it would be a shameful loss to lose "Hell Halls" because it was a good DM map.

I don't think it's worth it, he wants it withdrawn he said and from what I got told from Shane and after speaking to him it was the changes (I assume without his permission) and the changes to the weapons he doesn't like. If you really want to speak to him he can be found on irc.esper.net #mxu Yeah, it's the map changes and the weapons changes.

Springy said:

I don't think it's worth it, he wants it withdrawn he said and from what I got told from Shane and after speaking to him it was the changes (I assume without his permission) and the changes to the weapons he doesn't like. If you really want to speak to him he can be found on irc.esper.net #mxu

Alright, I respect his decision. By weapons, I assume he means the sprites, sounds, and the minigun. I will remove the mini-gun as well as the the black glove sprites and all of the sounds.

And for the record, every map needs an exit.

I realize that it was my responsibility to get permission from everyone from the team to do any editing whatsoever. I was going by what some of the authors said in the previous DMR threads about giving permission to do any editing on their maps. I should have known that their were authors who submitted maps from the Zandronum forums, and I really should have kept them updated on the status of DMR and their maps. I apologize for failing to do so.

No need to get upset over it, you made a mistake is all. Yes, it would be a shame to lose it (I haven't played it myself) but I have played his contributions to RageCTF, Velocity, MS Duel and Essay duels so I can imagine the quality. Oh about exits; I thought they were only needed for vanilla compatible maps? I thought boom had frag limits or am I wrong on that?

Springy said:

No need to get upset over it, you made a mistake is all. Yes, it would be a shame to lose it (I haven't played it myself) but I have played his contributions to RageCTF, Velocity, MS Duel and Essay duels so I can imagine the quality. Oh, about exits I thought they were only for vanilla compatible maps? I thought boom had frag limits?

His map was indeed good quality. I don't know anything about Vanilla Doom compatibility or boom, all I know is that it is compatible with zandronum and it is in the progress of becoming compatible with Odamex.

Springy said:

I have Dr.Sean on IRC what's the problem you're having again specifically?

I get an error message that is a fatal crash everytime I load any one of my DMR betas into an Odamex application.

This is what it reads:

3 errors in R_InitTextures.
SDL_GetError=

I am suspecting that there is something wrong with the PNAMES. I don't get this error when I run my betas in Zandronum or Skulltag.

<Springy> Hi, there appears to be an issue someone is having in regards to PNAMES I was wondering if you could help?
<dr_sean> sure
<Springy> Thanks, I'll get the file
<Springy> http://www.mediafire.com/download/p4b2qy8bma3k6qd/DMR_DG93+beta+3.zip
<Springy> He hasn't been very specific
<dr_sean> Is the WAD broken in only Odamex?
<Springy> He's just said that they're not working but it appears to work in Zandronum and ZDaemon.
<Springy> It causes a crash apparently, speaking of which, I appear to be getting them as of today but I think that's probably something I'm doing (it appears to minimise odamex and put me onto my explorer when in game)
<dr_sean> ok, I'm about to head out but I'll try to check it out when I get back
<Springy> Thanks, one more thing I managed to get his error message
<dr_sean> it may be something that I've already fixed in the texmanager SVN branch
<Springy> 3 errors in R_InitTextures.
<Springy> SDL_GetError=
<dr_sean> ok, that makes sense
<Springy> And yes, it appears to only be Odamex

I think he's a bit busy as he's heading out but by the looks of it, it might be a recent fix as of late I am assuming your using the latest?

Springy said:

<Springy> Hi, there appears to be an issue someone is having in regards to PNAMES I was wondering if you could help?
<dr_sean> sure
<Springy> Thanks, I'll get the file
<Springy> http://www.mediafire.com/download/p4b2qy8bma3k6qd/DMR_DG93+beta+3.zip
<Springy> He hasn't been very specific
<dr_sean> Is the WAD broken in only Odamex?
<Springy> He's just said that they're not working but it appears to work in Zandronum and ZDaemon.
<Springy> It causes a crash apparently, speaking of which, I appear to be getting them as of today but I think that's probably something I'm doing (it appears to minimise odamex and put me onto my explorer when in game)
<dr_sean> ok, I'm about to head out but I'll try to check it out when I get back
<Springy> Thanks, one more thing I managed to get his error message
<dr_sean> it may be something that I've already fixed in the texmanager SVN branch
<Springy> 3 errors in R_InitTextures.
<Springy> SDL_GetError=
<dr_sean> ok, that makes sense
<Springy> And yes, it appears to only be Odamex

Thanks Springy for getting Dr. Sean to help me with this error. I really appreciate your help.

No worries, I'm sure the problem will get sorted out sometime. He'll look more into it when he comes back.

Springy said:

No worries, I'm sure the problem will get sorted out sometime. He'll look more into it when he comes back.

By the way, I removed all the extra sprites in DMR, sounds, and dehacked file. Map 26 has also been cut, thus a new submission is open. First come first serve. I emailed Decay just to apologize and let him know that I removed his map26 "Hell Halls" and I also told him that he is free to submit a new map if he wants.

Okay, I'll come up with something tomorrow. I had plans when I originally joined up when Joe was in charge but it didn't go so well, so I'll probably come up with something.

Springy said:

Okay, I'll come up with something tomorrow. I had plans when I originally joined up when Joe was in charge but it didn't go so well, so I'll probably come up with something.

Awesome, I appreciate your contribution to the project.

I am warning you that this is really going to suck for now as it is very much speed mapped and not in the good sense. Item placement hasn't been considered at this moment of time along with spawn placement. I'll edit this to include download link once it's finished uploading and yes it is a dead simple rip off but I'm going to add some height variation and improve the placement along with probably something more than just SSG's for variety. Damn mediafire. NOTE: I haven't tested this one bit at the moment and it is very plain but more shall be added seeing as it is a twenty minute job.

Springy said:

I am warning you that this is really going to suck for now as it is very much speed mapped and not in the good sense. Item placement hasn't been considered at this moment of time along with spawn placement. I'll edit this to include download link once it's finished uploading and yes it is a dead simple rip off but I'm going to add some height variation and improve the placement along with probably something more than just SSG's for variety. http://www.mediafire.com/download/2oldevivq7o5r24/F*ck.wad Damn mediafire. NOTE: I haven't tested this one bit at the moment and it is very plain but more shall be added seeing as it is a twenty minute job.

I'll take a look at it right now.