Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TobyM

Visions of Eternity - an episode for Ultimate Doom

That is definitely a bug worth fixing! I did so and re-uploaded it to my site, and also uploaded the episode to /newstuff now that the server is back online.

Thanks for checking out the maps so closely and pointing out bugs!

Just played the first level on HMP. Good balance, good monster density, very attractive design. I was a bit thrown off by your liberal use of DOORTRAK, but I got used to it. Didn't find a single secret, surprisingly, but I was rushing a bit.

Lots of health and armour bonuses! It's kind of refreshing to have to rely on them again.

I am currently playing this on the lowest difficulty, to see if it's balanced there. On E5M3, I think there is a serious lack of pistol/chaingun ammo. You should be having the chaingun by the time you get to that level already, but I had to stick to the shotgun mostly because my bullets were usually like 50 or less. I actually sighed of relief when I found a bullet box on rare occasions. In return, tons of armor/health boni which I rather tried to avoid because I was already maxed out.

Level design is nice in general, but maybe add more bullet boxes to E5M3 at least (if you don't change the health/armor stuff, it's not that bad). Unless you intend it to be like that, of course. I will continue my playtesting and see if ammo problems remain an issue later or not. Anyway, nice stuff so far!

I tried E5M3 from scratch on both HNTR and UV (so I could compare the two), as I am guessing Toby fully intends these levels to be pistol start compatible.

Indeed there is basically no pistol/chaingun ammo except any that a zombie drops, but there are shotgunners galore, which collectively drop plenty of shotgun ammo (there's more enemies on UV than HNTR of course, but also more shotgunners, thus more shotgun ammo to go around). So I can only assume Toby intended for shotgun-oriented action here. That in mind, although I only played a small portion of the level, I don't really see the problem.

I am finished with it. I still get the impression that at least E5M3-E5M5 could use some additional bullet boxes, if not all levels following after E5M3. Other than that, this is pretty good stuff. ^^

for me, all maps are hard on skills 3 & 4 from a pistol start. i guess i just suck at doom these days. but i found that playing them in order works well, and i kind of agree that the shotgun seems to be the "main" weapon for the maps. not that i mind since i always use the shotgun most of the time. even when i have a full plasma gun. i guess i'm just boring :D

Just a quick post to say that I made an update to Visions of Eternity. In order to make the maps playable without mouselook, I changed some secrets in E5M4 that required mouselook. Also did some texture alignment fixes and such.

Since /newsstuff doesn't seem to be updated, you'll have to grab the file form my website:

https://kotogoto.com/games_doom.php

The booklet's in the same .zip as the wad itself now.

Also, I've been working on a patch that allows this to be played in the Eternity Engine. It's possible to 100% the whole episode with it, but I'm not as sure if that's still the case with strict vanilla compatibility. But if it is, you should also be able to play it with Odamex if you open the console and type "map e5m1". Credits are inside the wad.

voe-ee.rar