Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

bradharding said:

That's an awesome idea! Much like showing the berserk power-up when the player has it and has their fist selected, and showing blue or green armor, its yet another way to make the hud more functional without adding additional elements!

Speaking of berserk. ZDoom's alternate hud replaces the medikit by the berserk pack when you have it.

bradharding said:

Have tried this, as it's been suggested before. It doesn't look good, in my opinion and so it didn't make the cut, whether centered at the bottom or replacing the health icon.

I see. I thought I've seen it somewhere on screenshots from other port, and it didn't look bad, but then again, screenshot and actual game might have different vibes.

Gez said:

Speaking of berserk. ZDoom's alternate hud replaces the medikit by the berserk pack when you have it.

So does DOOM RETRO! :)

bradharding said:

Central Pro-sperging (new title for E1M6) uses a demo Bandicam-powered PowerPoint slideshow while speaking incoherently like a whiny bitch with a mouthful of balls. Pro player, pro equipment, pro video, pro opinion. Just so fuckin' pro. Meanwhile he puts his face in the game on STBAR and... arrrghhh.

bradharding said:

low graphic detail mode

Time to play this like it's 1993 and I'm using a 386.

I have two suggestions:

1) uncapped framerate

2) in the statistics screen, show the actual numbers near the percentage, e.g. "SECRETS 33% 2/6"

Also, I have noticed a couple of times when Cacodemons go through their death animation, one frame is shown half. I'm playing through the original Doom.

VGA said:

I have two suggestions:

1) uncapped framerate

2) in the statistics screen, show the actual numbers near the percentage, e.g. "SECRETS 33% 2/6"

Also, I have noticed a couple of times when Cacodemons go through their death animation, one frame is shown half. I'm playing through the original Doom.

1) I wouldn't mind trying this, but have no idea where to start...

2) I've considered this, but changing the percentages for fractions, not have both.

And thanks. This weird issue I was able to fix just yesterday.

I can code but I've never done anything related to graphics rendering. Maybe you could check out the implementation in some other source ports ? Seems the only way to do it is to interpolate the user's view, because otherwise everything would be the same regardless of framerate since the game has a specific 35/sec tickrate for its calculations.
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Uncapped_framerate

Sadly, no Chocolate Doom fork has added this feature.

Having fractions instead of percentages sounds cool to me, too, I like seeing how many monsters and secrets a map has :-)
Or maybe it could count upwards in fractions and then turn into a percentage.

Also, how feasible would it be to add lighting for projectiles ? It's kinda weird when fireballs travel down a dark corridor. I think a subtle effect would look awesome.

Another minor annoyance is that the default minimap zoom level is too high imo. I very often have to zoom out. Maybe the last used zoom level could be saved in the savegame or to the users' cfg ?

VGA said:

I can code but I've never done anything related to graphics rendering. Maybe you could check out the implementation in some other source ports ? Seems the only way to do it is to interpolate the user's view, because otherwise everything would be the same regardless of framerate since the game has a specific 35/sec tickrate for its calculations.
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Uncapped_framerate

Sadly, no Chocolate Doom fork has added this feature.

Having fractions instead of percentages sounds cool to me, too, I like seeing how many monsters and secrets a map has :-)
Or maybe it could count upwards in fractions and then turn into a percentage.

Also, how feasible would it be to add lighting for projectiles ? It's kinda weird when fireballs travel down a dark corridor. I think a subtle effect would look awesome.

Another minor annoyance is that the default minimap zoom level is too high imo. I very often have to zoom out. Maybe the last used zoom level could be saved in the savegame or to the users' cfg ?

It looks like interpolation will be a lot of work, but may very well be worth it.

As for the dynamic lighting around projectiles, it would be awesome, but would require a major rewrite, and perhaps not be practical using a software renderer.

I feel the default automap zoom level is fine, but yes, saving the state of the automap (zoom level, marks, etc.) in a savegame is on my list of things to do.

Brad I want to report two glitches:

1) I think one time the shift moddifier started working in reverse. I was always running, except when using shift. Unless I somehow pressed some toggle button for run ?

2) One time the berserk effect ended but the HUD still kept that icon. I have a savegame where it's stuck, if you think I'm a horrible liar I can send it to you !

VGA said:

Brad I want to report two glitches:

1) I think one time the shift moddifier started working in reverse. I was always running, except when using shift. Unless I somehow pressed some toggle button for run ?

2) One time the berserk effect ended but the HUD still kept that icon. I have a savegame where it's stuck, if you think I'm a horrible liar I can send it to you !

1) Hmmm... well, the capslock key toggles run...?
2) Lol! I believe you, but the savegame would be helpful. Could you send it to brad@doomretro.com please?

Thanks for your help.

Must not have been the caps lock because I saved and reloaded, the problem was still there. Then I restarted Doom Retro, loaded that save and it was fixed.

Gonna send that save now.

EDIT: Hohoho, I failed miserable, it just seems berserk was still active, it just took longer than I thought for it to end. Disregard that, then.

VGA said:

Must not have been the caps lock because I saved and reloaded, the problem was still there. Then I restarted Doom Retro, loaded that save and it was fixed.

Gonna send that save now.

EDIT: Hohoho, I failed miserable, it just seems berserk was still active, it just took longer than I thought for it to end. Disregard that, then.

Thanks anyway. I'll look what may cause the speed key problem.

BTW... with berserk, you do know that once you pick it up, it lasts for the rest of the level? This is the same with Vanilla DOOM. For Doom Retro, the berserk icon should then only appear when you have fists selected for the rest of the level.

Oooohhhhh, well that explains my confusion. That and the chronic pot abuse.

* badum tishhh *

Guest Unregistered account

*Double post*, soz

Guest Unregistered account

Ok, I just tried this and, while playing through Doom 2's levels, I thought: This is my choice of Source port!

I really like some of the new effects, such as colours not getting darker the further away you are. It's tiny features like this that make a game just that bit better.

-You keep your weapons from previous levels when using the IDCLEV cheat.

-Untoggling the Powerup cheats causes the screen to flash like the effect is running out. This is actually a pretty cool addition, but I feel there should be a setting at least.

-I like the idea of corpse sprites randomly flipping. A lot. But... flipped weapons look really weird and kinda stupid. :/

-I like the ideas behind the fullscreen HUD, but why not show the whole weapon?

-Also, there should be a greater variety of lower mouse sensitivity settings. The lowest setting is quite hyper.

-One thing I liked with SkullTag etc. was that if you turned on Caps run while ingame, it wouldn't affect the caps toggle outside the game, meaning you don't have to turn Caps lock off after play.
Here, that doesn't apply.

Overall, I love this Source port in its current state, and it may not have fancy particle or OpenGL effects (which I happen to like), but this is literally my favourite Source port.

Well done for making this! :D

Thanks Joe667, I'm so glad you like it!

To address some of the points you raised...

* with IDCLEV retaining the player's weapons, etc., are you wanting this to change because you prefer a pistol start when warping to a new level?

* Screen flashing when toggling off a powerup is too small a "feature" to consider having an option for, I believe.

* You're right about flipping weapons looking weird. I find it a bit of a distraction myself, (thinking at first it would grow on me). I'll put an option for it, and possibly have it off by default. Thanks.

* At this stage, the widescreen mode is a bit of a hack, and all it effectively does is zoom in on the screen mode with the status bar. This is so I haven't had to mess with the player's field of view, or do any cropping or horizontal stretching. I find consistency is important. Also, personally, seeing more of the weapon like you can in the Vanilla 4:3 fullscreen mode looks weird.

* With the mouse sensitivity, how hyper is "hyper"? Does it tend to jitter and not be as smooth as other source ports? (If so, I suspect I've fixed that issue ready for the next version.) Or is it still too fast even at the lowest settings? (If that's the case, I can easily tweak it.)

* Good idea about toggling capslock, thanks! I've looked into this before, but the SDL function I used to toggle it on/off would do so without changing the capslock light on my keyboard, so I gave up. I'll need to look into how other source ports are handling it, or if it's just my keyboard being a bitch.

Thanks again for your feedback. It's greatly appreciated! If you come across any bugs, please submit them here. Version 1.5 will be out in a couple of weeks or so (in time for Quakecon), and includes a lot of further enhancements I'm sure you'll enjoy!

bradharding said:

* Good idea about toggling capslock, thanks! I've looked into this before, but the SDL function I used to toggle it on/off would do so without changing the capslock light on my keyboard, so I gave up. I'll need to look into how other source ports are handling it, or if it's just my keyboard being a bitch.

Hey Brad,

try setting the SDL_DISABLE_LOCK_KEYS variable from within the program, e.g.:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/commit/40b41e86872bb708bdab24dd767529ac4c8ac1a1

- Fabian

I've been getting this crash whenever I try to run the doom2.wad

Weird that it only happens with doom2.wad and no other wad . Except when trying to run nerve.wad.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: doomretro.exe
Application Version: 1.4.3.0
Application Timestamp: 53717df0
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18247
Fault Module Timestamp: 521ea8e7
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00033e3d
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

sgtcrispy said:

I've been getting this crash whenever I try to run the doom2.wad

Weird that it only happens with doom2.wad and no other wad . Except when trying to run nerve.wad.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: doomretro.exe
Application Version: 1.4.3.0
Application Timestamp: 53717df0
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18247
Fault Module Timestamp: 521ea8e7
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00033e3d
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Thank you for this. I suspect there's an overflow in the wad selector code somewhere. Can you load doom2.wad from the command-line?

bradharding said:

Thank you for this. I suspect there's an overflow in the wad selector code somewhere. Can you load doom2.wad from the command-line?

Sorry for the delay there. I just tested it and it seems to load fine via command line or BAT file.

Hi all. To coincide with Quakecon 2014 and the reveal of a brand new DOOM, I'm proud to finally set forth the release of v1.5 of DOOM RETRO. This version sees an almost countless number of tweaks and optimizations, and a set of bloody effects to corpses that hopefully don't come across as too “brutal”. Please visit doomretro.com to download it for free, and browse its ridiculously exhaustive release notes.

I extracted 1.5 to a new folder. Is it normal that it started in fullsceen but with black bars all over and I had to edit the cfg to put my screenwidth/height?

Also, most of us use the DOOMWADDIR system variable, maybe on first launch that folder should be the default for the wad selection dialog?

Another suggestion is to save the version info of the savegames, so Doom Retro can verify if they're compatible and show an appropriate message. I tried to load a 1.4.3 savegame and it crashed.

VGA said:

I extracted 1.5 to a new folder. Is it normal that it started in fullsceen but with black bars all over and I had to edit the cfg to put my screenwidth/height?

Also, most of us use the DOOMWADDIR system variable, maybe on first launch that folder should be the default for the wad selection dialog?

Another suggestion is to save the version info of the savegames, so Doom Retro can verify if they're compatible and show an appropriate message. I tried to load a 1.4.3 savegame and it crashed.

Black bars? That's odd. Obviously not normal. Are you able to take a screenshot in that state? DOOM RETRO now defaults to 1280x800 at startup, and failing that, should switch to the desktop resolution. Is that resolution meant to be supported on your system?

Thanks for the suggestions. Both are great ideas that I'll certainly look into.

I deleted my cfg and I took a screenshot, its dimensions are 1066x800 and without borders, no use posting that. But in reality it's like the game is running in a smaller window with black borders filling up to my native res of 1680x1050.

VGA said:

I deleted my cfg and I took a screenshot, its dimensions are 1066x800 and without borders, no use posting that. But in reality it's like the game is running in a smaller window with black borders filling up to my native res of 1680x1050.

Ah, ok. So your PC is reporting that 1280x800 is a valid resolution, but doesn't actually switch to that mode (or does, but applies its own black borders). Hmm... thanks. I'll look at alternatives to this. Maybe revert to just using the desktop res as default.