Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

Checked it out, I like that the mouselook angle is very small, so that you can't get to extreme distortion like in ZDoom. :]

But when's lookspring coming? You know, only while you hold a button you can mlook.

edit: I hate new pages

10 hours ago, bzzrak said:

... when's lookspring coming? You know, only while you hold a button you can mlook...

I'll look at implementing lookspring ready for the next release.

Hi Brad,

is there a way for the player to increase the possible angle of looking up/down since right now it's most likely for aesthetical reasons quite limited. I couldn't find a cvar for that. Did I miss it? If it's not there, could you please implement it in a future release?

As always..... Thank you for releasing this gem!

Exiting just the first level of this atrocity is too much for DR. PrB+ works fine.

(if I were you, I'd leave that as-is, this WAD should not be playable in any modern port)

----------------------------------------

Also (don't) try this, starting a game crashes and prints out a message about a "bad animated cycle" or something

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/megawads/loki1999

On 09/07/2017 at 6:25 PM, Doohnibor said:

Hi Brad,

is there a way for the player to increase the possible angle of looking up/down since right now it's most likely for aesthetical reasons quite limited. I couldn't find a cvar for that. Did I miss it? If it's not there, could you please implement it in a future release?

As always..... Thank you for releasing this gem!

I've restricted the look angle to limit the y-shearing, but I'll look at increasing it perhaps a small amount, and implementing a cvar to increase it further.

19 hours ago, bzzrak said:

Exiting just the first level of this atrocity is too much for DR. PrB+ works fine.

(if I were you, I'd leave that as-is, this WAD should not be playable in any modern port)

----------------------------------------

Also (don't) try this, starting a game crashes and prints out a message about a "bad animated cycle" or something

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/megawads/loki1999

Wow! I think the correct way to exit the level is to open the console and type "quit"! It appears this crashes in DR v2.5.1, but now works fine with the latest changes.

As for loki.wad, I'll look into it. Thanks...

Hi Brad,

about the aiming up/down....      is it normal to hit a monster with a hitscan weapon no matter if I aim far below it?

Is it hitting a monster automatically just like in "regular" Doom, as long as I aim in the monsters direction?

7 hours ago, Doohnibor said:

Hi Brad,

about the aiming up/down....      is it normal to hit a monster with a hitscan weapon no matter if I aim far below it?

Is it hitting a monster automatically just like in "regular" Doom, as long as I aim in the monsters direction?

Yes, autoaim is still enabled when mouselook is on so as to not affect gameplay.

51 minutes ago, bradharding said:

Yes, autoaim is still enabled when mouselook is on so as to not affect gameplay.

Thanks for the info Brad,

is it possibile to disable autoaim in that case?

Uhh... I knew that, I was just testing you! :]

(thanks, sorry fro the false alarm. :] )

EDIT:

The BFG zombie enemy does seem to crash DR at some point!

Edited by bzzrak

What a clusterfuck that "Plutonia 3" is LOL

First of all, the reason Whacked4 crashes when loading its patch is because there is a Sound patch with a "Value = 150" which needs to be changed to "Value = 127"

Secondly, Doom Retro crashes because the projectile that the BFG enemy (SS replacement) does a TroopAttack which launches an Imp fireball, which has been replaced with some BFG animation frames which have a BFGSpray in its Death frames, like the vanilla BFG projectile has. Testing it in prboom+ and GZDoom, it actually fires tracers because it damages the player!

So it seems Doom Retro crashes when it handles a BFGSpray code pointer that hasn't been fired by the player? I will create an Issue in DR's issue tracker about it.

Also, @bradharding can you update the features page in the wiki to mention the nodes that DR supports?

Also crashes. It's either due to the massive size (35k x 25k units) or the MP3/OGG/whatever music, I think.

It also starts playing some funky noises when it crashes, you have to Ctrl+Alt+Del for it to stop.

edit: aaaaand again I'm super-attentive, thanks VGA

Edited by bzzrak

Any plans to add UMAPINFO once it's finalized and adopted by other ports? A project of mine requires it but otherwise would work okay in Doom Retro,  with the exception of errors happening beyond a specific map once the player reaches specific levels meant as an extra episode for a more advanced port.

Doom Retro supports MAPINFO, can't you use that for the moment?

1 hour ago, VGA said:

Doom Retro supports MAPINFO, can't you use that for the moment?

In the event support for UMAPINFO isn't supported I'll probably do that. It's still early so I haven't reached cross port testing yet anyway. 

In the latest version the cacos in E3M1 can't move past the first door after you hit the switch to open said door.

15 hours ago, Flesh420 said:

In the latest version the cacos in E3M1 can't move past the first door after you hit the switch to open said door.

I'll check it out, thanks.

On 30/07/2017 at 6:59 AM, Death Egg said:

Any plans to add UMAPINFO once it's finalized and adopted by other ports? A project of mine requires it but otherwise would work okay in Doom Retro,  with the exception of errors happening beyond a specific map once the player reaches specific levels meant as an extra episode for a more advanced port.

I plan to, yes.

Brad, would it be possible for you to make bloodsplats also stick to the walls instead of being shown on the floor only?

On 8/2/2017 at 11:44 AM, Doohnibor said:

Brad, would it be possible for you to make bloodsplats also stick to the walls instead of being shown on the floor only?

This would be cool.

I don't know if I missed an update or something, but has random spawns been added? (This would be awesome.) Because when I play e1m1 on UV there's a shotgun guy outside under the secret door leading to the blue armor.  I've noticed monsters where they typically aren't supposed to be in other maps, too.

Hangar.png

It must be coming from the secret tunnel. If there has been changes made to the monster look function it can happen; I remember getting this behavior with some development builds of ZDoom several years ago.

I noticed this some time ago. In addition to the sergeant outside who comes from the tunnel, if you remain in the start area of E1M1 the sergeants come down the stairs which they do not in most other ports, although this also happens in 3DGE. I think it's something to do with the movement code, related to the stairs, see here:

In alien vendetta (found on map04), when I shoot from a rocket launcher, I get a single frame of chaingun.

Also, how to pistol start a level after dying? When I press space, my save gets loaded. 

59 minutes ago, stasiowygrzybek said:

Also, how to pistol start a level after dying? When I press space, my save gets loaded. 

in console, "autoload 0" or something like that

--------------

also, bug:

if you use the "health X" command to reduce your HP while playing on I'm too young to die, the damage you take will still be halved.

2 hours ago, stasiowygrzybek said:

In alien vendetta (found on map04), when I shoot from a rocket launcher, I get a single frame of chaingun.

The rocket launcher glitch has been fixed in a previous version. Make sure you're using the latest version of DOOM Retro, version 2.5.3.

Also, as @bzzrak said, it looks like you've enabled the autoload CVAR at some point, so you can turn it off in the console. (@VGA, the pistolstart CCMD is to start with a pistol on any map, not just when dying.)

@bzzrak: thanks for the bug report!