Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

Hi, found a bug. :]

If you have a sector whose ceiling is a crusher, and then you change the height of the floor (while the ceiling is still in motion), the ceiling will start behaving kinda weird, its destination height will still be the old floor height.

You can see this on UDoom E3M4, in the room with skin walls not too far from the start.

(Approach the pit with the powerups (but don't fall in), the crusher should activate. Now try pressing the switches on the wall, you'll see the bug.)

When you finish map 30, before you go to the story text screen, intermission screen tells you that you're warping to map 31 right now.

7 hours ago, Chamelenoel said:

When you finish map 30, before you go to the story text screen, intermission screen tells you that you're warping to map 31 right now.

Thanks Chamelenoel. Fixed! :)

There is this light-falloff in DOOM that makes things look darker, the further they are away.

In RetroDOOM this effect is quite strong and on my monitor everyting seems to be a bit too dark sometimes.

I thought I have read there was a way to change the strength of this effect... so I just read through the list of cvars but didn't find anything...   could someone please give me a hint?

thanks

EDIT: ok, just found it. I was looking for r_gamma!

Brad: ...one question about that. The game obviously looks best with 0.75%, that's probably why you chose it as the default setting. This setting brings a problem with it though... stuff that is at a certain distance appears to be almost black or at least very dark... so dark that enemies are sometimes almost invisible.

In order to compensate for this gamma setting, is there a way to reduce the light falloff distance accordingly to the gamma setting? I think it might be a bit complicated but maybe there's a way.

If you don't know exactly what I mean, please let me know and I'll try to explain it in more detail.

One more thing...  I really like the stillbob but I would like to be able to make it slower. Could you please include a cvar for this in a future release?   

Edited by Doohnibor

On 02/09/2017 at 10:48 PM, Doohnibor said:

In order to compensate for this gamma setting, is there a way to reduce the light falloff distance accordingly to the gamma setting? I think it might be a bit complicated but maybe there's a way.

If you don't know exactly what I mean, please let me know and I'll try to explain it in more detail.

One more thing...  I really like the stillbob but I would like to be able to make it slower. Could you please include a cvar for this in a future release?   

Sorry for the late reply, Doohnibor. I'm quite happy with how dark the diminishing light gets, but I'll look into tweaking it and perhaps implementing a cvar.

As for the stillbob, this has been asked before. I don't think it's worth having two cvars for such a feature, so I'll consider halving the speed. (The reason why it is at the same speed as the movebob is so when you stop and go, the transition is seamless.)

13 hours ago, bzzrak said:

The scrolling floor in the very beginning of this map won't work in DR.

Interesting map! ;) I've been looking into this. (Strangely enough, the scroll effect doesn't work too well in PrBoom+.)

Some bugs with boom compatible "floor scroll move things" action.

When floor texture is animated (liquid for example), it doesen't have a scrolling animation, and it stays in place, even though moving things still works.

When floor scrolling is slow enough, it moves things much slower (so slow that without a microscope you might not even notice, it's moving) than in other ports, and that might cause desynchronization in some maps.

17 hours ago, Chamelenoel said:

Some bugs with boom compatible "floor scroll move things" action.

When floor texture is animated (liquid for example), it doesen't have a scrolling animation, and it stays in place, even though moving things still works.

When floor scrolling is slow enough, it moves things much slower (so slow that without a microscope you might not even notice, it's moving) than in other ports, and that might cause desynchronization in some maps.

Thanks Chamelenoel. I've just fixed the 1st issue you mention. As for the 2nd, I can't seem to reproduce. Playing around with boomedit.wad to get the scrolling platforms as slow as possible, the things on them scroll in exactly the same way is PrBoom+. Do you have an example wad?

Hi Brad,

Something I noticed while making a new map is that Boom special 242 appears to have some issues when the sector (and the dummy sector) change heights. I've attached a demo map that uses 242 and 53 (W1-Start moving floors). It seems that the target sector will only mirror the dummy sector dynamically if the dummy sector is also visible on screen. In the demo map you should see that if you view both platforms it is fine. Turn left to only view the yellow skull plat and it stops moving, but then jumps to whichever state the dummy sector is if you then view both plats again.

This was checked with 2.5.5

Thanks,

Travers

doomretro-boom242a.zip

10 hours ago, bzzrak said:

Hi. A really awkward bug I ran into; if you type idclip in the console, it will work, but, umm, the console will change it into idspispopd.

probably an hommage to the old noclip cmd from DOOM ; )

Hey Brad. Is there a link to that 256 color version of the Doom 2016 cover art that you posted a while ago? I'm having trouble finding it again. I'd like to see if it could be made into a titlepic. Alos, is there a way to make the pfg edition of doom 2 display a titlepic other than the nerve intermission pic?

2 hours ago, Brewtal_Legend said:

Hey Brad. Is there a link to that 256 color version of the Doom 2016 cover art that you posted a while ago? I'm having trouble finding it again. I'd like to see if it could be made into a titlepic. Alos, is there a way to make the pfg edition of doom 2 display a titlepic other than the nerve intermission pic?

Hey. Here's the tweet you're after:

As for a different titlepic for the BFG edition: well, there's no setting for it if that's what you're asking. If you want to replace it by way of your own PWAD, include DMENUPIC as well as TITLEPIC.

Hi everyone! DOOM Retro v2.6, a major release, is out now. As always, visit http://www.doomretro.com to download. Thank you to all those who have assisted in its development. Here's some of the more major changes:

• DOOM Retro now uses SDL v2.0.7, SDL_mixer v2.0.2 and SDL_image v2.0.2.

• The player’s field of view can now be changed using the new r_fov CVAR. This CVAR can be a value between 45 and 135, and is 90 by default and when vanilla mode is enabled.

• The bind CCMD can now be used to bind a string of commands to a control. For example, to press the V key to enable vanilla mode without lowering the graphic detail, enter bind 'v' "vanilla; r_detail high" in the console.

• The player’s view is now updated immediately when on a moving platform.

• Tossing items dropped by monsters when they are killed can now be toggled on or off using the new tossdrop CVAR. This CVAR is on by default and off when vanilla mode is enabled.

• The player can now automatically use doors and switches if they are near enough by enabling the new autouse CVAR. This CVAR is off by default.

Hey Brad.  I finally got around to trying out the latest release and I have a strange sound problem.  Music plays fine but all the sound effects are really high (like Alvin and the Chipmunks!).  I haven't played Doom in a while but was hoping to use DR for some vanilla map play-testing.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro using on-board Realtek 5.1 audio and on-board Intel 4600 GPU on an ASUS Z87 Pro motherboard.  All drivers are up to date. :)  

31 minutes ago, Average said:

Hey Brad.  I finally got around to trying out the latest release and I have a strange sound problem.  Music plays fine but all the sound effects are really high (like Alvin and the Chipmunks!).  I haven't played Doom in a while but was hoping to use DR for some vanilla map play-testing.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro using on-board Realtek 5.1 audio and on-board Intel 4600 GPU on an ASUS Z87 Pro motherboard.  All drivers are up to date. :)  

Hi. Thanks for letting me know. Works fine for me, and you're the first person to report such an issue, but I suspect it's the new SDL/SDL_mixer included that are causing the problem. Can you please test the following build and let me know how you go? https://www.dropbox.com/s/fmv0da5g02r6wd4/doomretro-2.6test1-win32.zip?dl=1

No worries.  Thanks for the quick reply.

I just tried out the above test build and all is well again. :)

1 hour ago, Average said:

No worries.  Thanks for the quick reply.

I just tried out the above test build and all is well again. :)

That's good to hear! Well, it looks like a new version will be out soon...

Thanks again.

Here's a little bug I found today. I died from revenant's rocket, and restarted the level, while camera was still shaking. When I was alive again, camera was still shaking. It fixed itself when I got hurt. 

EDIT:

yet another bug. If you include mapinfo in the wad you play, midi playing in the background of map32 is not going to be D_ULTIMA, but D_VICTORY.

Edited by Chamelenoel

10 hours ago, Chamelenoel said:

Here's a little bug I found today. I died from revenant's rocket, and restarted the level, while camera was still shaking. When I was alive again, camera was still shaking. It fixed itself when I got hurt. 

EDIT:

yet another bug. If you include mapinfo in the wad you play, midi playing in the background of map32 is not going to be D_ULTIMA, but D_VICTORY.

Thanks for the report. I'll look into both issues.

Hi there! The `-config` parameter is not honouring relative paths. I have a project, PortaDOOM, that provides a batch-script launcher that normalises the behaviour of a myriad of different engines and ensures portability by separating out config files, save files and so on. When it launches an engine, the 'current directory' will be where the saves go (for engines that don't support a `-save` or `-savedir` parameter) and the `-config` parameter will be something like "..\config.doomretro.cfg". This works for everything except DOOM Retro that ignores the parameter and creates a "doomretro.cfg" file in the same path as the executable -- not even the 'current directory'!