Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

Hi. Lines 526-541 and 630-635 of f_finale.c appear to have possibly been derived from recent addition of the same feature in the Eternity Engine. This may not be the case and if so I think it's cool we came up with the same idea at around the same time, but, if it was borrowed directly, I'd appreciate acknowledgment of the fact somewhere.

There are multiple ways this can be done, any one of which would be satisfactory, such as:

• Including an AUTHORS file in your source repository
  • Including a readme file in the repo and with the binary, containing a list of contributors
  • Adding (c) 2014 James Haley to the header of the source file in question.
I recognize you are under no legal obligation under the terms of the GPLv3 to provide such recognition. This is only a polite request, if the code was in fact borrowed directly.

Quasar said:

Hi. Lines 526-541 and 630-635 of f_finale.c appear to have possibly been derived from recent addition of the same feature in the Eternity Engine. This may not be the case and if so I think it's cool we came up with the same idea at around the same time, but, if it was borrowed directly, I'd appreciate acknowledgment of the fact somewhere.

You're absolutely right Quasar. I did get the idea from the Eternity Engine source. I did add an appropriate credit to the top of f_finale.c but soon before I uploaded the source to GitHub for the first time, I replaced the comments at the top of each source file, and forgot about it. I'm sorry, and am more than happy to acknowledge other people's work. I'll correct it straight away.

NightFright said:

Looking at your new v1.1 release... if you had told me you wouldn't need the background images included with those help screens, I could have given you my templates (only with the text) directly. Would have saved you that effort. Just saying. :P

LOL! At the time I wasn't thinking of it, and it didn't take too much to remove the background once I had. I didn't want to bother you again with it! Thanks again for your help!

bradharding said:

You're absolutely right Quasar. I did get the idea from the Eternity Engine source. I did add an appropriate credit to the top of f_finale.c but soon before I uploaded the source to GitHub for the first time, I replaced the comments at the top of each source file, and forgot about it. I'm sorry, and am more than happy to acknowledge other people's work. I'll correct it straight away.

No problem and no hard feelings. It's happened to me before (got called out for accidentally putting GPL header on a ZDoom module :P )

Hi Brad,

I think that pretty much all source port authors "borrow" code and ideas from each other, and we'd all like to get an acknowledgement.

In the interests of sharing here's a couple of ideas:

When using the -nomonsters cheat on a level with sector tags 666 or 667 then those sectors are actioned.

I've added idclevee to change level by simulating leaving via the exit.
And idcleves to exit via the secret exit.
(I originally put these in to make it easier to test my reworking of the intermission texts)

I've got a cheat on the map, pressing 'k' shows me where the keys are.

jeff-d said:

When using the -nomonsters cheat on a level with sector tags 666 or 667 then those sectors are actioned.

Thanks jeff-d for your suggestions. I especially like this one, and if I do implement it, I'll be sure to give you credit for it! :)

Do you think it would be possible to have some sort of HUD in widescreen? I'm playing it, and 4:3 looks very ugly on my monitor, when I switch the widescreen I really can't keep tabs on my ammo or health. Vanilla Doom had the same issue.

Magnetick said:

Do you think it would be possible to have some sort of HUD in widescreen? I'm playing it, and 4:3 looks very ugly on my monitor, when I switch the widescreen I really can't keep tabs on my ammo or health. Vanilla Doom had the same issue.

Yes, I'm looking at some sort of HUD, once I can settle on how I want it to look. Can I ask what you mean by "very ugly" in 4:3? Are you just not liking the pillarboxes or is there some other issue? If there's any stretching or cropping, what resolution are you running at and any chance of a screenshot? Thanks.

Erm...I believe this is obvious to most people, but it's lost on me...how do I play other WADs with this? It seems that I can play DooM II and nothing other than DooM II when DooM II is in the folder with Doom Retro. If I delete the DOOM2 WAD but leave another WAD in, such as tnt, it plays tnt. Is there any more convenient way of playing other WADs?

And also, how do I play custom WADs? Sorry for my terrible english.

Slippy_Pig said:

Erm...I believe this is obvious to most people, but it's lost on me...how do I play other WADs with this? It seems that I can play DooM II and nothing other than DooM II when DooM II is in the folder with Doom Retro. If I delete the DOOM2 WAD but leave another WAD in, such as tnt, it plays tnt. Is there any more convenient way of playing other WADs?

And also, how do I play custom WADs? Sorry for my terrible english.

To use other IWADs (DOOM.WAD, TNT.WAD, etc.), specify -IWAD file.WAD on the command-line.

For those who don't know how:
* right-click on doomretro.exe and click "Create shortcut"
* right-click on the new shortcut and click "Properties"
* under the Shortcut tab, add the command-line option(s) you want to the end of the text in the "Target" field (in this case, " -iwad tnt.wad") and click "OK".
* (for custom wads, you would put " -iwad doom2.wad -file custom.wad").

You can create multiple shortcuts for the IWADs you have.

I'll make sure I have some detailed instructions for the next version of DOOM RETRO, and eventually I'll have an installer which will (at the very least) create the shortcuts automagically.

Hope this helps. And you're English is fine! :P

bradharding said:

Is the -iwad argument still necessary Brad? My port looks inside the Pwad and automagically selects the best Iwad to use with it. I rather assumed that other ports did this too?

Jeff

bradharding said:

For those who don't know how:
* right-click on doomretro.exe and click "Create shortcut"
* right-click on the new shortcut and click "Properties"
* under the Shortcut tab, add the command-line option(s) you want to the end of the text in the "Target" field (in this case, " -iwad tnt.wad") and click "OK".
You can create multiple shortcuts for the IWADs you have.

I prefer batch files. It's faster to modify than shortcuts and it's not more complicated.
For a batch file, create a new text file, edit it and write "doomretro.exe -iwad <iwadname.wad> -file <pwadname.wad>" then save it. Rename the file's extension (.txt) to ".bat".

jeff-d said:

Is the -iwad argument still necessary Brad? My port looks inside the Pwad and automagically selects the best Iwad to use with it.

It's a good feature suggestion if it hasn't been implemented yet.

jeff-d said:

Is the -iwad argument still necessary Brad? My port looks inside the Pwad and automagically selects the best Iwad to use with it. I rather assumed that other ports did this too?

axdoom1 said:

It's a good feature suggestion if it hasn't been implemented yet.

You're right, that's a great suggestion! I'll definitely add it as a feature... Thanks!

BTW, jeff-d, your previous suggestion of activating tags 666/667 when -nomonsters is used has been implemented. :)

bradharding said:

BTW, jeff-d, your previous suggestion of activating tags 666/667 when -nomonsters is used has been implemented. :)

I might be missing something, but I can't see where you've done the Commander Keens at doom2 level 32.

jeff-d said:

I might be missing something, but I can't see where you've done the Commander Keens at doom2 level 32.

I had already accommodated for the Keen's back in v1.0. There's a separate check for them in P_SpawnMapThing() in p_mobj.c.

bradharding said:

I had already accommodated for the Keen's back in v1.0. There's a separate check for them in P_SpawnMapThing() in p_mobj.c.

Ooh, so there is, how did I miss that!!!

jeff-d said:

The Keens' effect is not tied to level, contrarily to the bossdeath effects. You can have functional Keens on each and every map slot.

bradharding said:

Chocolate DOOM uses the same library: do you get the same amount of hanging using that port? I'll need to test this further in case something else is causing this...

I'd actually like to point out fraggle *did* manage to fix that odd hang in the music fairly recently! I'm not sure what he did, but definitely take a look at choco-doom's repo on github.

Giomancer said:

I'd actually like to point out fraggle *did* manage to fix that odd hang in the music fairly recently! I'm not sure what he did, but definitely take a look at choco-doom's repo on github.

Are you sure? If it was fixed in Chocolate-Doom recently, I can't find when.
Otherwise Doom retro might be using outdated libraries. There was a delay in SDL_mixer that caused lag spikes a long time ago, this bug is supposed to be fixed now.

axdoom1 said:

...Otherwise Doom retro might be using outdated libraries...

And after checking the DLL's I included with DOOM RETRO 1.1, I'm embarrassed to say that I did include older versions (SDL 1.2.14 and SDL_mixer.dll 1.2.11). My bad. They'll be up to date in the next version of course... :)

Hi,

I've been looking in the bugs wiki

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Moving_platform_heights_not_preserved_in_saved_games

I think that we both still have this bug as there seems to be come code missing from P_ArchiveSpecials.

When a platform is suspended, it's code pointer gets set to zero in the same way that a ceiling does. However, there is no code in P_ArchiveSpecials to save suspended platforms.

So I think that we need to add...

if (th->function.acv == (actionf_v)NULL)
  {
        for (i = 0; i < MAXCEILINGS; i++)
            if (activeceilings[i] == (ceiling_t *)th)
               break;

if (i < MAXCEILINGS)
            {
                saveg_write8(tc_ceiling);
                saveg_write_pad();
                saveg_write_ceiling_t((ceiling_t *)th);
                continue;
            }

for (i = 0;i < MAXPLATS;i++)
          if (activeplats[i] == (plat_t*) th)
               break;

if (i < MAXPLATS)
        {
            saveg_write8(tc_plat);
            saveg_write_pad();
            saveg_write_plat_t((plat_t *)th);
            continue;
        }

The code in P_UnArchiveSpecials tc_plat has however, got the correct code to only fill in the function.acp1 pointer if the thinker is non-zero.

jeff-d said:

I've been looking in the bugs wiki

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Moving_platform_heights_not_preserved_in_saved_games

I think that we both still have this bug as there seems to be come code missing from P_ArchiveSpecials.

Thanks jeff-d! I recall looking at this bug at some stage in the past, so its great to finally have a fix for it. I'll make use of it straight away!

bradharding said:

Yes, I'm looking at some sort of HUD, once I can settle on how I want it to look. Can I ask what you mean by "very ugly" in 4:3? Are you just not liking the pillarboxes or is there some other issue? If there's any stretching or cropping, what resolution are you running at and any chance of a screenshot? Thanks.

Sorry it took me a few days, been busy.

http://puu.sh/6FhK6.jpg (This link may expire someday within the next few months. Might be replaced with an irrelevant picture.)

I took a pic in windowed because I really can't work this thing in fullscreen, but you should get the idea. When the game switches to widescreen, the game is in widescreen, but the HUD is gone like when vanilla is set to max screensize.

Also, if you are having trouble setting on what kind of wide screen HUD to use, maybe you could have multiple options?

Magnetick said:

Sorry it took me a few days, been busy.

I took a pic in windowed because I really can't work this thing in fullscreen, but you should get the idea. When the game switches to widescreen, the game is in widescreen, but the HUD is gone like when vanilla is set to max screensize.

Also, if you are having trouble setting on what kind of wide screen HUD to use, maybe you could have multiple options?

Thank you for responding. Your screenshot looks fine, though. It looks as designed. And in widescreen mode, not showing the HUD (ie status bar) is as its meant to be as well. To show the usual status bar in widescreen mode would require resizing of the player's view to fit it in, affecting either its aspect ratio or field of view, which is something I don't want to do. So overlaying a completely different HUD of some sort over the top is what I'm working on...

Maybe something like these mockups?

bradharding said:

Thank you for responding. Your screenshot looks fine, though. It looks as designed. And in widescreen mode, not showing the HUD (ie status bar) is as its meant to be as well. To show the usual status bar in widescreen mode would require resizing of the player's view to fit it in, affecting either its aspect ratio or field of view, which is something I don't want to do. So overlaying a completely different HUD of some sort over the top is what I'm working on...

Maybe something like these mockups?

Hm. The mockups aren't showing for me. Is it just me?

bradharding said:

Thanks jeff-d! I recall looking at this bug at some stage in the past, so its great to finally have a fix for it. I'll make use of it straight away!

I should point out that the code hasn't been tested at all - or even compiled. It's just a quick mock up to show how I think that it would look in your port - so treat with caution!

jeff-d said:

I should point out that the code hasn't been tested at all - or even compiled. It's just a quick mock up to show how I think that it would look in your port - so treat with caution!

I've tested it and it appears to work fine. Already been commited!