Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

Platinum Shell said:

What else is really odd about that bug is that the affected monsters will sometimes notice the player randomly. I was inside of this chamber in MAP 03 of fragport where the wall opens up and reveals a bunch of hell knights and mancubi. An imp came into the room from some other part of the level, which I gunned down. Only a couple knights and and mancubi woke up, but the rest remained stationary.

I don't know what's causing this yet. It would appear to only happen to deaf monsters. And in fragport.wad, it seems most of the monsters have hearing problems. I've been spending some time today looking into it, but as of yet, no success. Thanks again for reporting it. I'll let you know if/when I track down the cause.

bradharding said:

I don't know what's causing this yet. It would appear to only happen to deaf monsters. And in fragport.wad, it seems most of the monsters have hearing problems. I've been spending some time today looking into it, but as of yet, no success. Thanks again for reporting it. I'll let you know if/when I track down the cause.

Hi,

Some versions of Fragport.wad have an empty reject matrix in the map. This causes the test in P_CheckSight() in p_sight to go badly wrong.

// Check in REJECT table.
    if (rejectmatrix[bytenum]&bitnum)
    {
	sightcounts[0]++;

// can't possibly be connected
	return false;
    }
As you can see, if the rejectmatrix is empty, the code will go blundering off into random memory.
    // Check in REJECT table.
    if ((bytenum < rejectmatrixsize)		// Added 15/10/2011 JAD for level 9 Harmony.wad
     && (rejectmatrix[bytenum]&bitnum))
    {
	sightcounts[0]++;

// can't possibly be connected
	return false;
    }
Sadly the rejectmatrixsize variable does not exist, so will need to be created and set up.

I did it in P_SetupLevel
    P_LoadNodes (lumpnum+ML_NODES);
    P_LoadSegs (lumpnum+ML_SEGS);

rejectmatrix = W_CacheLumpNum (lumpnum+ML_REJECT,PU_LEVEL);
    rejectmatrixsize = W_LumpLength (lumpnum+ML_REJECT);
    P_GroupLines ();
I'm not sure how other ports have solved this, possibly by recreating the rejectmatrix???

Krazov said:
But more seriously, I'd like to see launcher more like ZDoom Launcher. I could keep IWADs and other WADs in seperate folders. It's much less messy.

Okay, I just checked. ZDoom Launcher actually works with Doom Retro (or other way around). It makes my life a whole lot easier.

bradharding said:

The mouse acceleration is the same as Chocolate DOOM by default (or at least, its supposed to be). The acceleration (and threshold) can be edited in default.cfg (in AppData\Local\DOOM RETRO\ for the current Windows user).

I have set the mouse acceleration, threshold, and sensitivity to match what I have in chocolate-doom and it still feels way off. Not really sure how to describe it but the mouse just doesn't feel good.

jeff-d said:

...Some versions of Fragport.wad have an empty reject matrix in the map. This causes the test in P_CheckSight() in p_sight to go badly wrong...

Thanks jeff-d, you've been an incredible help! This one was driving me nuts!

Krazov said:

Okay, I just checked. ZDoom Launcher actually works with Doom Retro (or other way around). It makes my life a whole lot easier.

That's great! A DOOM RETRO launcher may happen at some point in the future, but what I'm considering more is implementing a console...

Mike.Reiner said:

I have set the mouse acceleration, threshold, and sensitivity to match what I have in chocolate-doom and it still feels way off. Not really sure how to describe it but the mouse just doesn't feel good.

The mouse controls do seem fine to me, but I'll have a closer look and see what I can do. Thanks.

Mike.Reiner said:

Hi Mike. Could you please tell me what settings for mouse acceleration, threshold, and sensitivity you use in Chocolate DOOM? And if possible, in DOOM RETRO, how is it for you when you set the acceleration to 1.0 (which effectively turns acceleration off)?

bradharding said:

That's great! A DOOM RETRO launcher may happen at some point in the future, but what I'm considering more is implementing a console...

The thing is ZDoom and Doom Retro (and, my guess, PrBoom+ and others) use the same starting params (at least -iwad, -wad), which makes ZDL usable in many cases, even if not intended.

I think I will reorganize now my Doom folders structure even more. *evil laughter*

bradharding said:

Hi Mike. Could you please tell me what settings for mouse acceleration, threshold, and sensitivity you use in Chocolate DOOM? And if possible, in DOOM RETRO, how is it for you when you set the acceleration to 1.0 (which effectively turns acceleration off)?

Chocolate:
speed 30
acceleration 1
threshold 0

Doom retro:

mouse_sensitivity 30
mouse_acceleration 1.0
mouse_threshold 0

At acceleration 1 there is still acceleration.

I can slowly move my mouse across my entire mousepad and only do about a 180 degree turn, but if I move the mouse quickly I can do full rotations multiple times. This is Doom Retro.

In chocolate doom I think there might be a little bit of acceleration (possible due to 'enhance pointer precision' being turned on Windows) but it is nothing at all like Retro.

Mike.Reiner said:

At acceleration 1 there is still acceleration.

I can slowly move my mouse across my entire mousepad and only do about a 180 degree turn, but if I move the mouse quickly I can do full rotations multiple times. This is Doom Retro.

In chocolate doom I think there might be a little bit of acceleration (possible due to 'enhance pointer precision' being turned on Windows) but it is nothing at all like Retro.

Thanks for all this, Mike. As it turns out, DOOM RETRO was calculating mouse sensitivity differently after all. I've altered this to match Chocolate DOOM exactly (still allowing for high sensitivity values up to 64, of course), so the next release of DOOM RETRO should be much better. (In the meantime, I suspect that if you double the mouse sensitivity to 60 for the current release of DOOM RETRO, you should get the result you're after.)

Krazov said:

The thing is ZDoom and Doom Retro (and, my guess, PrBoom+ and others) use the same starting params (at least -iwad, -wad), which makes ZDL usable in many cases, even if not intended.

I think I will reorganize now my Doom folders structure even more. *evil laughter*

Yes, I think all the ports would work, at least for a majority of the command-line parameters. For what it's worth, if anyone is interested enough to create an "official" DOOM RETRO launcher, I might include it with future DOOM RETRO releases...

Krazov said:

-iwad and -file are recognized by pretty much all source ports out there. -file is from vanilla, and -iwad is accepted by all community-made ports as it is supported by all the main families from which all current ports are derived (Boom, Choco, DOSDoom, Legacy, and ZDoom). Basically, only vanilla and Doom 95 don't support it.

Gez said:

Basically, only vanilla and Doom 95 don't support it.

And Doomsday, sadly.

fabian said:

And Doomsday, sadly.

Doomsday has a '-iwad' command line option. However it is used in a different way to other ports.

Other ports use '-iwad' to load individual Iwad files, but in Doomsday it is used to load a folder.

Doomsday will then automatically load all the Iwad files it finds in said folder. For instance '-iwad c:\games\iwads\' will tell Dday to look there and load all the Iwads it can find there.

Unlike other ports, Doomsday allows one to switch games in engine. For instance users can switch between playing Doom2 and Heretic without having to close Doomsday and restart it.

http://www.dengine.net/dew/index.php?title=-iwad

Note that if you do specify a path to a file, rather than a folder, with -iwad, Doomsday will extract the folder path and carry on as usual, for compatibility purposes.

Adding -game to the command line is only necessary if more than one IWAD is known to Doomsday. Without it, you'll launch into Ring Zero where you'll be presented with a GUI to choose the game.

FWIW: In the future we'll likely add the necessary logic to automatically determine which game the user implied if -iwad is a path to a file. (This is currently waiting on improved IWAD detection in Ring Zero and will also require some new UI functionality.)

Platinum Shell said:

Is anyone else having problems hitting this switch in Retro?

Retro is a Vanilla only port. It does not have the generalised line defs from boom etc.

jeff-d said:

Retro is a Vanilla only port. It does not have the generalised line defs from boom etc.

Thanks for explaining, I thought Retro had boom capabilities. Also, what's so special about the linedef's function?

Platinum Shell said:

Thanks for explaining, I thought Retro had boom capabilities. Also, what's so special about the linedef's function?

From http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Linedef_type

In Boom (like Doom), actions are caused to happen through linedef types. Boom has three kinds of linedef types:

Regular - the linedef types that were already in Doom II v1.9

Extended - linedef types not in Doom II v1.9 but less than 8192 in value

Generalized - linedef types over 8192 in value that contain bit fields that independently control the actions of the sector affected.

Doom retro only has the Regular ones.

DaniJ said:

Note that if you do specify a path to a file, rather than a folder, with -iwad, Doomsday will extract the folder path and carry on as usual, for compatibility purposes.

One should add that information to the wiki then, as the wiki implies that -iwad will only take a folder path.

That said, perhaps if one does specify a path to a file using -iwad, that Dday should also interpret it as a -game option, if the command line doesn't also include -game?

Hey guys. After one month of some insanely rigorous coding, I’m proud to present DOOM RETRO v1.3! This release continues to improve on the game’s stability and performance, fixes several bugs, and introduces a new widescreen HUD. As always, visit doomretro.com to download and for a full set of release notes.

Strangely, my performance drops significantly in the menu with the filter effect. The sound playback is very choppy, likely silence and delay between each buffer.

My CPU is an Intel i7 at 3.7Mhz, and my sound card is an M-Audio Audiophile 192, and am currently running Windows 7. I find it odd that this brings my semi-beefy hardware to its knees.

Sodaholic said:

Strangely, my performance drops significantly in the menu with the filter effect. The sound playback is very choppy, likely silence and delay between each buffer.

My CPU is an Intel i7 at 3.7Mhz, and my sound card is an M-Audio Audiophile 192, and am currently running Windows 7. I find it odd that this brings my semi-beefy hardware to its knees.

Yes, that is odd. Thanks for letting me know. I have only an Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.4GHz, with Windows 7, and it runs fine. I'm guessing it's just the sfx and not the music that becomes choppy? Could you please try setting snd_maxslicetime_ms in default.cfg to a lower value of 30 or 60 and check the results? Also, what desktop resolution are you running at?

I'm using 1280x960 at present. For some reason, the sound becomes completely clear when I hit Y to confirm exiting. Changing buffer length doesn't resolve the issue.

Also, Doom Retro doesn't play so nicely with Revenant100's sprite fix WAD. I'd recommend having the engine leave the alignment of PWAD sprites alone.

Sodaholic said:

I'm using 1280x960 at present. For some reason, the sound becomes completely clear when I hit Y to confirm exiting. Changing buffer length doesn't resolve the issue.

Also, Doom Retro doesn't play so nicely with Revenant100's sprite fix WAD. I'd recommend having the engine leave the alignment of PWAD sprites alone.

Thanks again for this. I'm looking into it right now.

As for the sprite fix WAD, DOOM RETRO is meant to leave the offsets of custom sprites in PWADs alone, but it seems that isn't working. Added to the list. :)

Patch93 said:

I can't get the music to work. Is there a specific function that you need to find to get it working?

Thanks for the report. I have a few questions: I'm assuming SFX work fine? And sdl_mixer.dll is in the same folder as doomretro.exe? And are you able to get music working in Chocolate DOOM?

Patch93 said:

Yes. All three of them work fine. SFX works, sdl_mixer is in the same folder as doomretro.exe, and I can get music working in Chocolate Doom just fine through the setup.exe

Thanks for that. I'll look into what may be causing this. Could you please PM me the contents of your default.cfg and chocolate-doom.cfg files from Chocolate Doom?