Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

2 hours ago, Kroc said:

Hi there! The `-config` parameter is not honouring relative paths. I have a project, PortaDOOM, that provides a batch-script launcher that normalises the behaviour of a myriad of different engines and ensures portability by separating out config files, save files and so on. When it launches an engine, the 'current directory' will be where the saves go (for engines that don't support a `-save` or `-savedir` parameter) and the `-config` parameter will be something like "..\config.doomretro.cfg". This works for everything except DOOM Retro that ignores the parameter and creates a "doomretro.cfg" file in the same path as the executable -- not even the 'current directory'!

Thanks Kroc. It looks like the -config command-line parameter is only being honored when initially loading the config at startup, but not when saving. I'll work on having this fixed (and your suggestion for -shotdir implemented) ready for the next version of DOOM Retro.

I encountered a bug on the first map of Doom 2 Redux where a linedef that is supposed to instantly teleport me back to the room near the end of the level doesn't seem to be working. The other linedefs that do instant teleporting work, but not this linedef. I suppose this may have to do with the blood here, or perhaps any linedef on liquid floors? Doom 2 Redux is Boom-compatible, just to note.

gWLf9PE.png

27 minutes ago, GuyNamedErick said:

I encountered a bug on the first map of Doom 2 Redux where a linedef that is supposed to instantly teleport me back to the room near the end of the level doesn't seem to be working. The other linedefs that do instant teleporting work, but not this linedef. I suppose this may have to do with the blood here, or perhaps any linedef on liquid floors? Doom 2 Redux is Boom-compatible, just to note.

gWLf9PE.png

Thank you for the report. I'll check it out.

On 3/1/2018 at 12:34 AM, bradharding said:

Thank you for the report. I'll check it out.

Just a thought: Could it be a too-many-intercepts thing, or could it require the PASSTHRU flag, or "Always passthru" option to be set? (It's the flag/option that forces all intercepts in range to be tripped, which, in turn requires that the port not encounter an intercept overflow.)

14 hours ago, kb1 said:

Just a thought: Could it be a too-many-intercepts thing, or could it require the PASSTHRU flag, or "Always passthru" option to be set? (It's the flag/option that forces all intercepts in range to be tripped, which, in turn requires that the port not encounter an intercept overflow.)

I've managed to fix this. In the above scene is a W1 Teleport line special. When the imps are killed by the player, one of their corpses trigger the once-only teleport.

5 hours ago, bradharding said:

I've managed to fix this. In the above scene is a W1 Teleport line special. When the imps are killed by the player, one of their corpses trigger the once-only teleport.

Can I ask what the fix was? Should the imp corpse be allowed to teleport and trigger the one-shot special?

I guess I'm asking: What was supposed to happen or not happen? And what was broken? Just curious :)

anyone knows how to run this in 1920x1080? pixels dont look good in non crt monitors

i would like to disable splattering weak enemies with the ssg too, feels too weird

the rest of the changes I like it and im using this port to play classic style maps

Doom Retro always renders at the same resolution internally, then upscales to your desktop's resolution. It is supposed to look pixelated and old-school :D

Is there a way to opt in to the old 'full screen' HUD with the white and the weapon silhouette? Other than that look forward to playing more Doom with this port!

2 hours ago, kb1 said:

Can I ask what the fix was? Should the imp corpse be allowed to teleport and trigger the one-shot special?

I guess I'm asking: What was supposed to happen or not happen? And what was broken? Just curious :)

In that scene, as the player approaches that door, they are meant to be teleported instead of opening it. In DR, corpses will move with force, (a bit more so in liquid), so shooting one of those imps will cause its corpse to float backwards, triggering the teleport instead of the player. So all I did was put in a check to make sure a monster has health > 0 for it to trigger a special. (I already check elsewhere so a corpse won't be teleported.)

1 hour ago, qweqioweuo123 said:

anyone knows how to run this in 1920x1080? pixels dont look good in non crt monitors

What VGA says is correct. You can make the pixels look "smoother" by opening the console (with the ~ key) and entering vid_scalefilter nearest_linear.

i would like to disable splattering weak enemies with the ssg too, feels too weird

Not possible to disable this, I'm afraid. But I'll consider a setting to allow it to be toggled.

13 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

Is there a way to opt in to the old 'full screen' HUD with the white and the weapon silhouette? Other than that look forward to playing more Doom with this port!

You can enter r_althud on in the console.

Edited by bradharding

39 minutes ago, bradharding said:

In that scene, as the player approaches that door, they are meant to be teleported instead of opening it. In DR, corpses will move with force, (a bit more so in liquid), so shooting one of those imps will cause its corpse to float backwards, triggering the teleport instead of the player. So all I did was put in a check to make sure a monster has health > 0 for it to trigger a special. (I already check elsewhere so a corpse won't be teleported.)

Heh, ah, ok - makes sense. That's awesome, man! I gotta steal me some corpse floaty code - that kicks ass!

Thanks! Blasted through episode 1, this port is very nice, I think it may be my 'vanilla' port of choice while still being limit-removing enough to run just about anything that isn't dependent on DECORATE or other ZDoom-isms.

Oi, blasted through episode 2 and got a couple questions: Was the 'hanging sky corpses' as I call them in E2M7 an actual mapping error or a perceived mapping error? I just found it interesting to see them omitted (they don't make sense anyway). Also I noticed static objects block projectiles and Lost Souls aren't stopped by pickups. Seeing as you can turn on infinite height, is there a way to make static objects non-solid and Lost Souls halted by pickups in their path?

47 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

Oi, blasted through episode 2 and got a couple questions: Was the 'hanging sky corpses' as I call them in E2M7 an actual mapping error or a perceived mapping error? I just found it interesting to see them omitted (they don't make sense anyway). Also I noticed static objects block projectiles and Lost Souls aren't stopped by pickups. Seeing as you can turn on infinite height, is there a way to make static objects non-solid and Lost Souls halted by pickups in their path?

I doubt the "hanging sky corpses" could be a mapping error, but I agree they don't make sense and are therefore they're removed when the r_fixmaperrors CVAR is on. Projectiles shouldn't be blocked so I'll need to investigate. And tying Lost Souls to be stopped by pickups to the infiniteheight CVAR is a good idea. Thanks!

Brad, since now I'm addicted on p_fix, I have some thoughts to share about hanging corpses.

They are looking kinda unrealistic, yeah, but -- they have own "charm". I don't think it was a mapping error, since they are too notable in some places like E2M7 (above slime pool), and more of that, they can be found mostly in hellish Inferno levels, where, I believe "it is okay to see some odd and non-realistic things".

Another interesting thing you surely know is missing hanging legs in Doom 1 episodes. I.e. they are not missing, just have no skill spawn flags. Some of them are placed beneath the ceiling, but some beneath the sky. I think they are more questionable, was id forgot to set spawn flags, or rejected them at all.

I'm not suggesting to "turn on" those legs, remembering our discussion about trees in Wolfenstein levels, neither I'm not enforcing to add back hanging corpses - it should rely on your author's taste. But it's still very interesting case to think about. :)

10 hours ago, Julian Nechaevsky said:

Brad, since now I'm addicted on p_fix, I have some thoughts to share about hanging corpses.

They are looking kinda unrealistic, yeah, but -- they have own "charm". I don't think it was a mapping error, since they are too notable in some places like E2M7 (above slime pool), and more of that, they can be found mostly in hellish Inferno levels, where, I believe "it is okay to see some odd and non-realistic things".

Another interesting thing you surely know is missing hanging legs in Doom 1 episodes. I.e. they are not missing, just have no skill spawn flags. Some of them are placed beneath the ceiling, but some beneath the sky. I think they are more questionable, was id forgot to set spawn flags, or rejected them at all.

I'm not suggesting to "turn on" those legs, remembering our discussion about trees in Wolfenstein levels, neither I'm not enforcing to add back hanging corpses - it should rely on your author's taste. But it's still very interesting case to think about. :)

My thought on why I removed them is that because there is a rope, it should be attached to something.

When initially working on this group of fixes I noticed quite a few of these map objects without skill flags. I figure that because they've never been seen in the maps, they would look out of place if brought back in.

EDIT: Fabian's idea on producing a warning when one of these objects in encountered at map start is great though.

Is there any way of choosing the monitor, that the game is displayed on? 

Also, is there any way of making alwaysrun cvar not to flip the caps lock switch? 

7 hours ago, Chamelenoel said:

Is there any way of choosing the monitor, that the game is displayed on? 

Also, is there any way of making alwaysrun cvar not to flip the caps lock switch? 

To change which monitor to use, use the vid_display CVAR. To stop the caps lock key behaving in that way, use unbind +alwaysrun or use the bind CCMD to bind the action to another control. Please see the DOOM Retro Wiki for more information.

5 hours ago, riderr3 said:

Any plans to add Heretic support? Or it is too complicated I suppose?

I'm definitely contemplating it. It will be a lot of work, however.

3 hours ago, bradharding said:

I'm definitely contemplating it. It will be a lot of work, however.

Yay.

Does someone know where I can find documentation on all of the features you can do with MAPINFO, along with the syntax that I should use? I thought the wiki might have it but I couldn't find any information.

5 minutes ago, Death Egg said:

Does someone know where I can find documentation on all of the features you can do with MAPINFO, along with the syntax that I should use? I thought the wiki might have it but I couldn't find any information.

Sorry, there's no info in the Wiki (perhaps I should!). DR's MAPINFO support is limited. If you look at the source here you'll see a short list of what's supported.

24 minutes ago, bradharding said:

Sorry, there's no info in the Wiki (perhaps I should!). DR's MAPINFO support is limited. If you look at the source here you'll see a short list of what's supported.

Sweet, thank you! Is there any way yet to set what maps have an intermission text screen yet? Also, what does TITLEPATCH do?

Edit: Looks like using MAPINFO to send you to another map that originally had an intermission screen causes that intermission screen to not play. In the case I've tested, I have an exit on MAP01 send the player to MAP31, and it doesn't display the name of the map or the intermission before the level starts.

Edited by Death Egg

1 hour ago, Death Egg said:

Sweet, thank you! Is there any way yet to set what maps have an intermission text screen yet? Also, what does TITLEPATCH do?

Edit: Looks like using MAPINFO to send you to another map that originally had an intermission screen causes that intermission screen to not play. In the case I've tested, I have an exit on MAP01 send the player to MAP31, and it doesn't display the name of the map or the intermission before the level starts.

There's no way of setting intermission text yet. TITLEPATCH sets the patch to use for the level name at the end of level screen.

I'll see what I can do about the issues you describe. Thanks for letting me know.

Another related question: is there any way to make it so exiting a level leads you to the final screen yet for Doom II, or do I have to send the player to MAP30 for the final level for the time being?

the newest build seems to be kinda buggy. When I playtested it, I got outside of the map for a breif moment, which has never happened before. 

7 hours ago, Chamelenoel said:

the newest build seems to be kinda buggy. When I playtested it, I got outside of the map for a breif moment, which has never happened before. 

That's unusual. I haven't encountered that myself. Which map, and can you recall where and what you were doing at the time?

Here is a recording of the problem. It is very easy to make it appear again.

Spoiler

It happens on MAP03 of this wad:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/ihmn

I double checked, and this error didn't occur in the previous version.

I'd also like to report a bug that's been bothering me for a while now. It happens if you have more than one monitor. When you run the app in the fullscreen on one monitor, the cusor will still go outside of borders, making your game minimize when you click on your second monitor's desktop. After that, the cursor will not go outside of borders anymore, as long as you don't reboot the application. 

Okay, I've worked out the problem now. Yet another point release will be out soon with the fix. Thanks again!

(As for the dual monitor fix, I'll look into that at a later date.)