Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

After over 4 months of development, I'm happy to announce v2.7 of DOOM Retro is now available for download! This version sees the inclusion of E1M4B: Phobos Mission Control and E1M8B: Tech Gone Bad, some significant performance improvements, and much more. Please visit www.doomretro.com for the link and complete release notes. Big thanks go to John Romero, The Last Cabra, Death Egg, David Carlier and Julia Nechaevsky for their help and support.

Edited by bradharding

I tested quicky this new version and I got a control issue with a xbox one controller.

The configuration of the left thumbstick is :

forward:forward
right:turning right
left:turning left
back:forward

It's unplayable, I can't back away at all in game, I guess this issue came from this new feature:

• If a gamepad with only one thumbstick is connected, movement will then be digital rather than analog and that one thumbstick will both turn the player left/right and move the player forward/back.

Yeah, the defaults for my Xbox One controller are unplayable now.

Edit: Also, speaking of controller bindings, Doom 2 XBLA has wonderful D-pad based weapon switching:

Up: SSG, Shotgun

Right: Chaingun, Pistol

Down: Rocket Launcher, Chainsaw, Fist

Left: Plasma Gun, BFG

I'm not the best with console commands, is there a way to replicate these bindings in Doom Retro? I've only managed to use them in ZDoom-derived ports.

Also can the SSG be given priority over the Shotgun when using the weapon 3 bind?

Edited by Dragonsbrethren

6 hours ago, FrenchGuy said:

I tested quicky this new version and I got a control issue with a xbox one controller.

The configuration of the left thumbstick is :

forward:forward
right:turning right
left:turning left
back:forward

It's unplayable, I can't back away at all in game, I guess this issue came from this new feature:

• If a gamepad with only one thumbstick is connected, movement will then be digital rather than analog and that one thumbstick will both turn the player left/right and move the player forward/back.

Thanks for the report. I swear I tested using an Xbox 360 controller after implementing that feature... :/ Oh well, I'll work on a fix and upload a small point release as soon as I can.

3 hours ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

Edit: Also, speaking of controller bindings, Doom 2 XBLA has wonderful D-pad based weapon switching:

Up: SSG, Shotgun

Right: Chaingun, Pistol

Down: Rocket Launcher, Chainsaw, Fist

Left: Plasma Gun, BFG

I'm not the best with console commands, is there a way to replicate these bindings in Doom Retro? I've only managed to use them in ZDoom-derived ports.

Also can the SSG be given priority over the Shotgun when using the weapon 3 bind?

Controls can't be bound in that way in DR, as only one weapon can be bound to one control (eg. bind dpadright +weapon4) I'll consider implementing them as default, though. As for shotgun priority, the last shotgun to be selected is the one that will come up when using that bind.

DOOM Retro v2.7.1 has been released, fixing player movement when using a gamepad.

Edited by bradharding

While working on my last WAD I discovered a bug with Doom Retro's lighting.

Here's what Doom Retro shows: https://i.imgur.com/04M5PWD.png

Here's the same scene in Chocolate Doom: https://i.imgur.com/wgE8OyZ.png

The "ring" that's lit in the picture is a door sector, which is raised after the player crosses a linedef in another room. Doom Retro illuminates this as the same light level as the sector at the far end, while Chocolate Doom (and any other port I try, which tells me that this is intended behavior) lights the sector with the correct light level.

Here's the WAD: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/p-r/remcmplx

Down on the left stick of an Xbox One controller is still moving the player forward in 2.7.1. Everything else seems to be fixed, though.

Edit: It only does this when the stick is pushed all the way down. It'll correctly move me backwards if I only move it a little down from center.

9 hours ago, bradharding said:

As for shotgun priority, the last shotgun to be selected is the one that will come up when using that bind.

This isn't the behavior I'm seeing. The normal shotgun is always selected when pressing 3, even if I had been using the SSG before switching to another weapon.

1 hour ago, segfault said:

While working on my last WAD I discovered a bug with Doom Retro's lighting.

Here's what Doom Retro shows: https://i.imgur.com/04M5PWD.png

Here's the same scene in Chocolate Doom: https://i.imgur.com/wgE8OyZ.png

The "ring" that's lit in the picture is a door sector, which is raised after the player crosses a linedef in another room. Doom Retro illuminates this as the same light level as the sector at the far end, while Chocolate Doom (and any other port I try, which tells me that this is intended behavior) lights the sector with the correct light level.

Here's the WAD: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/p-r/remcmplx

DOOM Retro uses a subtle gradual lighting effect under all doors. It does it by using the light levels of the darkest and lightest adjacent sectors of the door, and in this case its sectors 49 and 97. I'll look into a solution, thanks. What might be better is to use the darkest adjacent sector, but don't get any lighter than the light level of the door.

8 minutes ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

Down on the left stick of an Xbox One controller is still moving the player forward in 2.7.1. Everything else seems to be fixed, though.

Edit: It only does this when the stick is pushed all the way down. It'll correctly move me backwards if I only move it a little down from center.

This isn't the behavior I'm seeing. The normal shotgun is always selected when pressing 3, even if I had been using the SSG before switching to another weapon.

Shit. Back to it then. I'll check out the behavior of the shotguns too. Thanks again!

I've decided to rerelease v2.7.1 with these fixes, rather than yet another point release so soon after the last one. Thanks again guys. Please let me know if you have any further issues.

Is it possible to have objects not blocking projectiles and lost souls blocked by pickups, like Doom? It seems when infinite height is on, the lost souls behave as they should, but then you can't shoot through decorative objects with rockets/plasma balls, but if infinite height is off then lost souls will fly over items and your projectiles go through objects?

23 hours ago, bradharding said:

DOOM Retro uses a subtle gradual lighting effect under all doors. It does it by using the light levels of the darkest and lightest adjacent sectors of the door, and in this case its sectors 49 and 97. I'll look into a solution, thanks. What might be better is to use the darkest adjacent sector, but don't get any lighter than the light level of the door.

Shit. Back to it then. I'll check out the behavior of the shotguns too. Thanks again!

Ahh, I see. Honestly you can keep that behavior, I probably should've used W1 Lower to LAF instead of W1 Door Stay Open Fast. In fact, testing that now shows the behavior I expected. Thanks for explaining that to me!

EDIT: Do you have any plans to add OPL2/OPL3/OPN emulation support for MIDI playback? That's literally the one feature this port is lacking for me, otherwise I'd be Doom Retro all day.

Edited by segfault

I'd like to make a cosmetic feature request: A CVAR to "unfix" sky rendering while invulnerable. Doom just looks wrong to me when the sky gets inverted as well, and the sky not changing is so obvious in so many IWAD maps that I have a hard time believing it wasn't done intentionally.

Also the SSG/Shotgun change is better, but I'm still really missing the vanilla behavior where the SSG always takes priority, could that be made an option? It's a muscle memory thing, I get what you're going for with Doom Retro's selection behavior, but it's hard to unlearn the old behavior (and if I do, I'll have to unlearn Doom Retro's behavior when playing with another port).

14 hours ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

I'd like to make a cosmetic feature request: A CVAR to "unfix" sky rendering while invulnerable. Doom just looks wrong to me when the sky gets inverted as well, and the sky not changing is so obvious in so many IWAD maps that I have a hard time believing it wasn't done intentionally.

I disagree, but I'll consider a CVAR. :P

15 hours ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

Also the SSG/Shotgun change is better, but I'm still really missing the vanilla behavior where the SSG always takes priority, could that be made an option?

I'll look into this. I might do it by implementing a different action that can be bound to the 3 key.

On 8/5/2018 at 3:02 AM, segfault said:

Do you have any plans to add OPL2/OPL3/OPN emulation support for MIDI playback? That's literally the one feature this port is lacking for me, otherwise I'd be Doom Retro all day.

No, sorry. I want to keep sound the way it is tbh.

On 8/5/2018 at 3:01 AM, Lila Feuer said:

Is it possible to have objects not blocking projectiles and lost souls blocked by pickups, like Doom? It seems when infinite height is on, the lost souls behave as they should, but then you can't shoot through decorative objects with rockets/plasma balls, but if infinite height is off then lost souls will fly over items and your projectiles go through objects?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll consider another CVAR.

I played Ultimate Doom with DOOM Retro v2.7.1 and I discovered in E4M7(Ultraviolence) two flying imps. I reset this level few times and this imps was in the same position. I never saw that with GZdoom in the same level.

And Hell Followed.png

And Hell Followed (1).png

46 minutes ago, FrenchGuy said:

I played Ultimate Doom with DOOM Retro v2.7.1 and I discovered in E4M7(Ultraviolence) two flying imps. I reset this level few times and this imps was in the same position. I never saw that with GZdoom in the same level.

Thanks for letting me know. Just checked myself, and they are indeed levitating. I'll look into it.

May I ask why the intro pic was changed? The text at the bottom is extremely blurry and illegible now. I don't remember what the old logo was, but the text was the most readable and aesthetically pleasing before it started to incorporate words in italic, and the current version - I don't like it at all.

Design decision, based on other similar splash screens of modern titles. The old text took up too much of the screen, and detracted from the logo itself. I still think it's readable, but the screen is only up for a couple of seconds after all, so no one's really reading it. That same text is on the blog, README.md in the source, and at the bottom of every page of the wiki anyway.

Did you do something with mouse2 recently?

After installing the latest version 'bind mouse2 +run' resulted in odd behaviour. The run modifier was correctly applied, however I was no longer able to strafe left and right with the keys.

2 hours ago, Urthar said:

Did you do something with mouse2 recently?

After installing the latest version 'bind mouse2 +run' resulted in odd behaviour. The run modifier was correctly applied, however I was no longer able to strafe left and right with the keys.

Thanks Urthar. I've just fixed this here.

Anyone know how i can disable movement on the right thumbstick when using a controller? also how do i enable vibration, I've tried putting it at 50% and 200% but its still not working.

4 hours ago, sylux said:

Anyone know how i can disable movement on the right thumbstick when using a controller? also how do i enable vibration, I've tried putting it at 50% and 200% but its still not working.

To disable movement of the right thumbstick you can enter gp_deadzone_right 100% in the console. Vibration is enabled by default, but only works for XInput controllers. What gamepad do you have?

52 minutes ago, bradharding said:

To disable movement of the right thumbstick you can enter gp_deadzone_right 100% in the console. Vibration is enabled by default, but only works for XInput controllers. What gamepad do you have?

Sorry i should have been a bit for specific, my right thumbstick moves the player back and forward as well as look left and right.  Is there anyway  to make it look only?

I have a wired 360 controller.

Thanks for the replay and the source port is great btw.

9 minutes ago, sylux said:

Sorry i should have been a bit for specific, my right thumbstick moves the player back and forward as well as look left and right.  Is there anyway  to make it look only?

That's ok. If you set gp_thumbsticks to 2 (which it should be by default), then the right thumbstick will look only, and the left will move the player. As for the vibration, it should certainly work with a 360 controller. If you open the console, does it say "A gamepad is connected. Using XInput..."?

3 minutes ago, bradharding said:

That's ok. If you set gp_thumbsticks to 2 (which it should be by default), then the right thumbstick will look only, and the left will move the player. As for the vibration, it should certainly work with a 360 controller. If you open the console, does it say "A gamepad is connected. Using XInput..."?

Config says gp_thumbsticks 2. The left is fine it can move the player forward, back and strafe but the right one also moves the player forward and back as well look left and right. Also it says gamepad connected using XInput 1.4.

1 hour ago, sylux said:

Config says gp_thumbsticks 2. The left is fine it can move the player forward, back and strafe but the right one also moves the player forward and back as well look left and right. Also it says gamepad connected using XInput 1.4.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into what's happening.

Update: And I've fixed it! Thanks again for your help, and here's a beta of the next version with the fix.

Edited by bradharding

I've been playing Rekkr with this source port for a while, but I noticed a bug that is exemplified in Rekkr's E1M8

This is the Chocolate Doom behaviour:

There's also GLBoom and GZDoom videos available for comparison.

However, this is the Retro Doom behaviour:

Note how the skybox is different, but also note that the spider-eyeball monsters (the closest equivalent of the mod to the pain elementals) simply don't spawn at all. They don't spawn in E1M7 either, and I wasn't able to spawn them in with the console either (though that might just be me).