Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

Thanks Grizzly. I've just managed to fix both the issues you describe. The missing monsters were due to DR not allowing DOOM 2 things in a DOOM wad. In the case of REKKR, this needs to be allowed. And as for the sky issue, the MAPINFO lump in REKKR.WAD was being misread.

I notice this warning message about unrecognized sound lump with Freedoom phase 2 version 0.11.3, I don't know if it is important or can be just ignore.

Title (1).png

2 hours ago, Death Egg said:

It's probably because those sounds are just empty lumps, not actual sound files.

Not quite empty (Slade shows them as 4 bytes in size), but yes, that's why the warnings are there.

In your screenshot, @FrenchGuy, I noticed something else. The line: "There is 1 savegame in E:\Doom Retro\savegames\doom2\." It should be saving in a freedoom2\ subfolder to keep the saves separate from Doom 2, so that's something I'll need to correct.

NB: PortaDOOM does save-game separation by itself (via `-savedir` / `-save` parameter) since very few ports do this automatically, and there is no way to change this for past-versions (something PortaDOOM relies upon for certain WAD compatibility). I assume that your naming algorithm is the same as mine; if there is a PWAD, use its name, otherwise use the IWAD name.

I'd appreciate a way to disable this behaviour in DOOM Retro because I intend to extend this naming scheme in the future to automatically separate save games of different mod-loadouts. Whilst it doesn't apply much to DOOM Retro, due to most major mods requiring GZDoom, I would mutate the save directory to include the mod name, e.g. "aaliens+highnoondrifter".

I couldn't tell you how other uses are using the `-save` parameter so I don't feel like it would be safe to alter that behaviour. Rather a config var or another param to disable the folder nesting would be appreciated, I could apply that to PortaDOOM easily.

Edited by Kroc : Typos

13 hours ago, bradharding said:

In your screenshot, @FrenchGuy, I noticed something else. The line: "There is 1 savegame in E:\Doom Retro\savegames\doom2\." It should be saving in a freedoom2\ subfolder to keep the saves separate from Doom 2, so that's something I'll need to correct.

It is also the case with Freedoom phase 1, saves are stored in savegames\doom\ and not in their own subfolder.

On 10/4/2018 at 4:05 PM, bradharding said:

Not quite empty (Slade shows them as 4 bytes in size), but yes, that's why the warnings are there.

I noticed something else in that screenshot: Those are the nicest, most verbose console log entries I think I have ever seen! Now *that's* the way to log messages!

@bradhardingHey, I wasn't being sarcastic: Your console output is very good. It's rare when log messages provide details that are easy to understand, and contain the information needed for them to be useful. It's something I strive for when I write my log messages, and I know it's not an easy thing to accomplish. I mean, someone can send their log file to you, and you'll have a very good idea of their setup without having to ask the first question. Bravo!

56 minutes ago, kb1 said:

@bradhardingHey, I wasn't being sarcastic: Your console output is very good. It's rare when log messages provide details that are easy to understand, and contain the information needed for them to be useful. It's something I strive for when I write my log messages, and I know it's not an easy thing to accomplish. I mean, someone can send their log file to you, and you'll have a very good idea of their setup without having to ask the first question. Bravo!

LOL! Don't worry, I didn't take that way. Since the console is the only way in DR that you're able to change most settings, I've strived to make it as user-friendly as possible.

I just noticed that there is a huuuuge delay between input and action, if you use keyboard to turn left or right. Is there a cvar to fix it, or is it just a bug?

1 hour ago, Chamelenoel said:

I just noticed that there is a huuuuge delay between input and action, if you use keyboard to turn left or right. Is there a cvar to fix it, or is it just a bug?

No delay here. Is this when just using the cursor keys to turn left/right, or do all other keyboard controls do the same for you (WASD for example)? Has this occurred in previous builds? If you're just saying turning left/right with the cursor keys is slow, well, it always has been with Doom, without holding down the shift key.

Announcing the release of v2.7.4 of DOOM Retro! Please visit https://www.doomretro.com to download. Thanks go to Julia Nechaevskaya, vanfanel, DeathEgg, Kroc and Fabian Greffrath for their assistance and support. Here's a list of the release notes:

* DOOM Retro now uses SDL v2.0.9, SDL_mixer v2.0.4 and SDL_image v2.0.4.
* When DOOM Retro is opened for the first time, the WAD launcher will now try to find a common DOOM or DOOM II installation.
* Optimizations have been made to further improve the overall performance and stability of DOOM Retro.
* Minor changes have been made to text that is output to the console.
* Further improvements have been made to the console’s autocomplete feature.
* The fuzz effect of spectres, as well as the player’s weapon when they have a partial invisibility power-up, are now paused when freeze mode is on.
* The fuzz effect of spectres is now rendered correctly when the player has an invulnerability power-up.
* The sky will now be rendered correctly when the r_skycolor CVAR is a value other than none and the player has an invulnerability power-up.
* Further improvements have been made to the support of DEHACKED and MAPINFO lumps.
* The player’s weapon will now bounce slightly when they drop down from a greater height. This can be disabled using the new weaponbounce CVAR, which is on by default and off when vanilla mode is on.
* Monsters will no longer infight if no target mode is on and the player dies.
* If the +alwaysrun action is bound to the CAPSLOCK key, then that key will now be toggled on or off as necessary when DOOM Retro’s window gains or loses focus, and not just when it is closed.
* Any screen shake or palette effect will now be canceled when pressing F7 to end a game, or F9 to quicksave a game.
* The F12 key can now be bound to an action using the bind CCMD.
* The following changes have been made to vanilla mode:
  * Certain controls that weren’t present in Vanilla DOOM will now be unbound.
  * The right mouse button will be bound to the +strafe action.
  * The automap’s grid is now turned off since it was off by default and its state was never saved in Vanilla DOOM.
* Minor improvements have been made to DOOM Retro’s renderer.
* The player’s weapon will now rise more smoothly at the start of a map.
* If the original music of DOOM or DOOM II is being played in a map, then the music’s composer, Bobby Prince, is now displayed by the mapstats CCMD.
* The console will now automatically close when a cheat is entered.
* When the tossdrop CVAR is on, if a monster is killed and then drops an item, some of the corpse’s momentum is now also applied to that item.
* A bug has been fixed whereby the am_allmapfdwallcolor CVAR was used instead of the am_allmapwallcolor CVAR to draw solid walls in the automap when the player had a computer area map power-up.
* Brightmaps have now been applied to the SW2GARG, SW2LION and SW2SATYR textures when the r_brightmaps CVAR is on.
* The correct obituary will now be displayed in the console when the player dies on molten rock.
* If both the r_althud and vid_widescreen CVARs are on, and the automap is open, both player messages and the map’s title will now be displayed using DOOM Retro’s alternate character set.
* A bug has been fixed whereby gridlines in the top and bottom right corners of the automap weren’t being displayed in some instances when the am_grid CVAR was on.
* The secret maps will no longer be included when entering map last, map next or map random in the console.
* If a CCMD that requires one or more parameters is entered in the console without those parameters, a description of that CCMD will now be displayed.
* Savegames will now be saved in the correct folder when playing Freedoom: Phase 1 or Freedoom: Phase 2.
* The behavior of the -savedir command-line parameter has changed. Savegames will now be placed directly in the folder specified, rather than in a subfolder based on the name of the WAD loaded.
* -save may be now be used as an alternative to -savedir on the command-line.
* A bug has been fixed whereby the player’s path in the automap wasn’t being shown correctly if both the am_path CVAR and no clipping mode were on.
* If the player has more than one power-up, the countdown bar in the alternate widescreen HUD will now always show the power-up that will run out first.
* If an SFX lump in a PWAD is in an unrecognized format, the original lump in the IWAD will be played instead.
* The +use action can no longer be used if the autouse CVAR is on.
* Items dropped by monsters when they are killed will now be rendered correctly if dropped on a moving platform and the vid_capfps CVAR is a value other than 35.

Nothing happen when I try to run doom retro v2.7.4(32 and 64 bits version), the habitual window to select a wad don't appear and the drag and drop method also don't work, after these trials I check the task manager and doomretro.exe don't appear on the list of processus, yet doom retro v2.7.3 still works on my windows 10 computer.

20 minutes ago, FrenchGuy said:

Nothing happen when I try to run doom retro v2.7.4(32 and 64 bits version), the habitual window to select a wad don't appear and the drag and drop method also don't work, after these trials I check the task manager and doomretro.exe don't appear on the list of processus, yet doom retro v2.7.3 still works on my windows 10 computer.

There was a nasty bug that affected some clean installs of DR in some instances. I managed to fix it and re-upload v2.7.4 only a couple of hours later, so if you redownload it should be fine.

New bug: REKKR is no longer displaying the correct names for most of its items; e.g. "cells" instead of "mana".

@VGA

I noticed an issue with this new build when using your "Smooth for DOOM Retro". My default setup is the IWAD plus smoothed, black ops, and an OGG music pack. When I try summoning a monster, it'll summon the monster one level above it. For example, attempting to summon an Imp will summon a Demon, attempting to summon a Cacodemon will summon a Baron of Hell, etc.

Now, I realize this is just a consequence of changes as Brad continues to update the port, but I thought you should know.

Gonna relay this question here - I was playing MAYhem 2018: Purple Version and for some reason the game bombs out on me after the MAP06 intermission text screen - no warnings or error messages. Any idea what might be causing this?

2 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

Gonna relay this question here - I was playing MAYhem 2018: Purple Version and for some reason the game bombs out on me after the MAP06 intermission text screen - no warnings or error messages. Any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks for the report. It appears that on the text finale screen, this wad's text is too long, causing it draw out-of-bounds off the screen. A fix will be in the next version.

Any chance for possibility of loading pwads in .zip files, so I can, for example, zip up Alien Doom or BTSX into one file and feed it to DoomRetro?

1 minute ago, R13 said:

Any chance for possibility of loading pwads in .zip files, so I can, for example, zip up Alien Doom or BTSX into one file and feed it to DoomRetro?

I just set it up with ZDL and then save the configuration as a .zdl file and launch it from the desktop

I figure this should wait until actual release of the work in question, we don't even know if the map slots will truly be E5Mx or not -- there were contradictory information on this subject.

@Gez Well, he did say as much on the website:

"Sigil’s numbering scheme is E5Mx where “x” is the level number 1-9. Episode Five, just after Episode Four: Thy Flesh Consumed."

The problem I see with going that route is that it will limit the ports that can be used. I assume though you have other information that contradicts that quote?

He also said that par times were injected by dehacked, something not possible with nonstandard slots. That's what I find contradictory.

Remember also that his previous releases were called E1M4b and E1M8b but the actual slots were the regular E1M4 and E1M8.

From watching the GitHub commits, he has been adding what support he can at this time for SIGIL -- it will be supported out of the box, for sure as soon as he has his hands on the WAD file to test/confirm.