Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

On 2/12/2019 at 5:04 PM, VGA said:

I'm pretty sure you can disable the pain effects. Also, I don't think anyone mentioned multiplayer  heh!

I thought multiplayer was mentioned by someone on the 1st page but to me its really no big deal if it doesn't, I wouldn't count it as a point against Doom Retro. Do you know how to disable the pain effects?

2 hours ago, Beezle said:

I thought multiplayer was mentioned by someone on the 1st page but to me its really no big deal if it doesn't, I wouldn't count it as a point against Doom Retro. Do you know how to disable the pain effects?

You can do so by entering r_shake_damage 0% in the console.

6 hours ago, bradharding said:

You can do so by entering r_shake_damage 0% in the console.

Appreciate it. By the way I had a question, I recently tried both Valiant and Ancient Aliens with Doom Retro and they seem to work perfectly fine except you can't choose which episode to start, it just starts you in Map 01, are they both supported or are they for ZDoom/ Zandronum mainly?

1 hour ago, Beezle said:

Appreciate it. By the way I had a question, I recently tried both Valiant and Ancient Aliens with Doom Retro and they seem to work perfectly fine except you can't choose which episode to start, it just starts you in Map 01, are they both supported or are they for ZDoom/ Zandronum mainly?

DR doesn't support "episode" definitions in MAPINFO lumps, but may do at some point in the future...

So, I decided to play Doom Retro using Wine. It works fine, but the sound device doesn't play all the parties of the music tracks (for example, the synth party in MAP01's music); I don't know if it's a bug in the port's sound device or in the default soundfont. Is there a way to change the soundfont or the sound device?

Hmm, if I'm right, the sound device used is GUS, in which case, IIRC, it never worked well for me and always missed some music parties when I used it with other ports.

Thanks for the update, however I just discovered earlier today that in Map 05 in Eviternity, you can't do the death exit, and after updating to this new version it appears to still be an issue after testing it some more. 

6 hours ago, Beezle said:

Thanks for the update, however I just discovered earlier today that in Map 05 in Eviternity, you can't do the death exit, and after updating to this new version it appears to still be an issue after testing it some more. 

Thanks Beezle. I played through MAP05 myself and it worked fine so thought nothing of it. I'll look into what's causing it.

I was just wondering if Doom Retro supports a couple of features:

- .wad lumps in .png format

- MBF sky transfers

Thanks in advance!

I want to ask a question, is there way how to change brightness since there are few maps that are bitt too dark for my taste?

I notice a issue with the console commands "map e1m4b" and "map e1m8b" when the autoload setting is off. When I die in these maps, Doom Retro 2.8.1 load e1m4a instead of e1m4b and e1m8a instead of e1m8b.

e1m4a is my way to call e1m4:Command Control, I thought it was more understandable to say e1m4a instead of e1m4 in my previous post but it looks it is not the case.

20 hours ago, FrenchGuy said:

I notice a issue with the console commands "map e1m4b" and "map e1m8b" when the autoload setting is off. When I die in these maps, Doom Retro 2.8.1 load e1m4a instead of e1m4b and e1m8a instead of e1m8b.

Thanks @FrenchGuy, I'll make sure I fix this ready for the next build. In the meantime, don't die in these maps. 😜

17 hours ago, NotTheTime said:

Is there a way to enable oldstyle OPL3 music?

No, only native MIDI is supported.

On 4/27/2019 at 2:49 PM, NotTheTime said:

Is there a way to enable oldstyle OPL3 music?

If you install VirtualMIDISynth then you can use any soundfont you want. Including one that emulates OPL3

I just noticed some rocket splash damage oddities in Retro. I shot a rocket at a wall with well over 150% health and died. I did some experimenting and I actually cannot find a way to take exactly 128% damage. Usually it will be 124%, but sometimes, and it seems to be when running during the impact, I can take as much as 248% damage. I didn't do any tests on monsters. Is this supposed to be this way?

9 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

I just noticed some rocket splash damage oddities in Retro. I shot a rocket at a wall with well over 150% health and died. I did some experimenting and I actually cannot find a way to take exactly 128% damage. Usually it will be 124%, but sometimes, and it seems to be when running during the impact, I can take as much as 248% damage. I didn't do any tests on monsters. Is this supposed to be this way?

Thanks for letting me know. It seems that the player is getting both the blast radius and direct hit damage in some instances. To help me isolate this, could you please turn off the infiniteheight CVAR and let me know if you still encounter the issue?

@bradharding, actually it was off before. I tried it on and the issue is there. However, with infinite height on, the full damage is the expected 128 and sometimes up to 256.

14 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@bradharding, actually it was off before. I tried it on and the issue is there. However, with infinite height on, the full damage is the expected 128 and sometimes up to 256.

Thanks again. I'll continue to look into it.

EDIT: And fixed!

Edited by bradharding

I tried running this type of port and it always crashes (im on windows XP)  

Used other versions and previous ones and same thing happens.

2 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

I tried running this type of port and it always crashes (im on windows XP)  

Used other versions and previous ones and same thing happens.

Without any further information, I wouldn't be able to look at fixing this.