Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v2.9.3 (updated June 1, 2019)

Hi,

Is there a way to run DR from command line and load a config?

eg: doomretro.exe +exec myconfig.cfg

And in my config I'd have something like:

-iwad doom2.wad

-warp 03

-file randompwad.wad

-skill 5

But it doesn't seem to work..

I've also tried:

doomretro.exe -config myconfig.cfg but it just creates the default game config which overwrites my previous config. 

It seems that the only way to do it is to add it all to command line like so:

doomretro.exe -iwad doom2.wad -warp 03 -file randompwad.wad -skill 5

But i'd rather use a config if it is possible.

I've also tried:

doomretro.exe @myconfig.cfg 

as a response file, like Doom2.exe is able to do.

But I haven't had any luck with DR doing it this way yet. :\

Thanks

Hi @Mr.Rocket. Custom config files in DR should contain CVAR declarations, rather than a list of command-line parameters. This is by design. I will look at how other source ports allow this to happen, however. Thanks. (Also, even though the contents of the cfg file you were trying to load with DR using the -config parameter was invalid, it shouldn't have overridden your previous settings. I'll look into this as well.)

Posted (edited)

Well a lot of them tend to use + for console variables and - for command line args.

But yeah I didn't have much luck setting up an executable config structure, so I ended up setting cmd line engine commands which I posted, after giving up on the previous cvar attempts. 

Although, Doom.exe does use a @ response as an external configuration file and seems to work pretty well in this case.

But all the above hasn't worked for me yet with DR.

Sorry for the previous post, it does look a little strange I suppose heh. 

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Posted (edited)

Here's a @myconfig.cfg response file I have setup for Lzdoom for example if it's of any help:

-iwad doom2.wad
-alwaysapplydmflags
-dup 1
+name "testing101"
-host 1
-skill 4
+set deathmatch 1
+set teamplay 0
+set sv_gravity 800
+set fraglimit 0
+set timelimit 0
+set dmflags 200832
+set dmflags2 0
+set compatflags 104
+map MAP07

It will also say "Found Response File!" in the console, similar to the way Doom.exe would via command line. and is read like this: C:\Games\Doom.exe @myconfig.cfg.

It seems to work pretty well.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Posted (edited)

@bradharding,

Disregard the config file, I just went ahead and set everything up via command line..

No worries, Thanks for looking into it though! 

21 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

@bradharding,

Disregard the config file, I just went ahead and set everything up via command line..

No worries, Thanks for looking into it though! 

You're welcome. I still might implement response files at some point though. Also might allow "+set" on the command-line...

Posted (edited)

Hey there! Just wanted to say thank you for making this excellent port. Really nice for playing anything that doesn't involve ZDoom. I do have a few questions about it, though:

1. Have you considered adding ENDOOM support (like Choco/Crispy Doom has)?

2. Is there a way to turn off the B&W/blur effect the pause menu has (and if not, can that be added as a feature)?

3. Any plans to add a local manual to the engine (e.g. so you can view commands without having to use the Internet)?

4. Is there any way to change the MIDI soundfont to OPL/ADL instead of just using the default Microsoft midi mapper?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Spriteclad

Thanks @Spriteclad!

1. I sorta wanna keep the experience streamlined, so no ENDOOM, and none of the classic startup sequence text either. What I might do, however, is implement a console command that allows an ENDOOM screen to be displayed.

2. The blurred menu background is a distinctive feature of DR and something I'd rather not have a CVAR for, sorry.

3. I've been thinking about this. You do have the "cmdlist" and "cvarlist" commands that show everything that the wiki shows, but I have been thinking of ways of incorporating more documentation through way of the console.

4. Nope. At this stage, in an attempt to keep a consistent experience (whatever that means), it's general MIDI only. Check out this though.