Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

Hi,

Is there a way to run DR from command line and load a config?

eg: doomretro.exe +exec myconfig.cfg

And in my config I'd have something like:

-iwad doom2.wad

-warp 03

-file randompwad.wad

-skill 5

But it doesn't seem to work..

I've also tried:

doomretro.exe -config myconfig.cfg but it just creates the default game config which overwrites my previous config. 

It seems that the only way to do it is to add it all to command line like so:

doomretro.exe -iwad doom2.wad -warp 03 -file randompwad.wad -skill 5

But i'd rather use a config if it is possible.

I've also tried:

doomretro.exe @myconfig.cfg 

as a response file, like Doom2.exe is able to do.

But I haven't had any luck with DR doing it this way yet. :\

Thanks

Hi @Mr.Rocket. Custom config files in DR should contain CVAR declarations, rather than a list of command-line parameters. This is by design. I will look at how other source ports allow this to happen, however. Thanks. (Also, even though the contents of the cfg file you were trying to load with DR using the -config parameter was invalid, it shouldn't have overridden your previous settings. I'll look into this as well.)

Well a lot of them tend to use + for console variables and - for command line args.

But yeah I didn't have much luck setting up an executable config structure, so I ended up setting cmd line engine commands which I posted, after giving up on the previous cvar attempts. 

Although, Doom.exe does use a @ response as an external configuration file and seems to work pretty well in this case.

But all the above hasn't worked for me yet with DR.

Sorry for the previous post, it does look a little strange I suppose heh. 

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Here's a @myconfig.cfg response file I have setup for Lzdoom for example if it's of any help:

-iwad doom2.wad
-alwaysapplydmflags
-dup 1
+name "testing101"
-host 1
-skill 4
+set deathmatch 1
+set teamplay 0
+set sv_gravity 800
+set fraglimit 0
+set timelimit 0
+set dmflags 200832
+set dmflags2 0
+set compatflags 104
+map MAP07

It will also say "Found Response File!" in the console, similar to the way Doom.exe would via command line. and is read like this: C:\Games\Doom.exe @myconfig.cfg.

It seems to work pretty well.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

21 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

@bradharding,

Disregard the config file, I just went ahead and set everything up via command line..

No worries, Thanks for looking into it though! 

You're welcome. I still might implement response files at some point though. Also might allow "+set" on the command-line...

Hey there! Just wanted to say thank you for making this excellent port. Really nice for playing anything that doesn't involve ZDoom. I do have a few questions about it, though:

1. Have you considered adding ENDOOM support (like Choco/Crispy Doom has)?

2. Is there a way to turn off the B&W/blur effect the pause menu has (and if not, can that be added as a feature)?

3. Any plans to add a local manual to the engine (e.g. so you can view commands without having to use the Internet)?

4. Is there any way to change the MIDI soundfont to OPL/ADL instead of just using the default Microsoft midi mapper?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Spriteclad

Thanks @Spriteclad!

1. I sorta wanna keep the experience streamlined, so no ENDOOM, and none of the classic startup sequence text either. What I might do, however, is implement a console command that allows an ENDOOM screen to be displayed.

2. The blurred menu background is a distinctive feature of DR and something I'd rather not have a CVAR for, sorry.

3. I've been thinking about this. You do have the "cmdlist" and "cvarlist" commands that show everything that the wiki shows, but I have been thinking of ways of incorporating more documentation through way of the console.

4. Nope. At this stage, in an attempt to keep a consistent experience (whatever that means), it's general MIDI only. Check out this though.

8 hours ago, MrDowntempo said:

I'd love it if some sort of improved dithering could be added to make the game even grungier. Have you seen this article

I have been thinking about this, and have actually come across that page before. I guess what I'd need to do first is convert DR's lighting to 32-bit.

Here is an example of what it could look like.

On 9/3/2019 at 2:09 AM, bradharding said:

I have been thinking about this, and have actually come across that page before. I guess what I'd need to do first is convert DR's lighting to 32-bit.

Here is an example of what it could look like.

Wow, that is very crunchy, and I like it a lot.

Hi all! I'm proud to announce the release of v3.0 of DOOM Retro! This version has a considerably long list of fixes, improvements and new features. Highlights include better SIGIL support, and support for MBF's friendly flag (allowing you to spawn friendly monsters, including helper dogs, from the console). Please visit https://www.doomretro.com to download.

29 minutes ago, Get Phobo said:

Whether 32 or 64-bit, neither version would start.

Well, that's concerning. They both work fine on my system (and I downloaded and installed the zips I uploaded to make sure I packed them ok). Are there any errors in the Windows Event Viewer app? Do you at least get the WAD launcher to come up? Perhaps your A/V quarantined it or something?

Can anyone else confirm this is happening for them also?

I also emptied my folder and threw the x64 build of 3.0 in there and tried running it through ZDL as I always do but it silently stops after a second, no window comes up. Running the exe by itself also does the same, no wad launcher comes up. It isn't an AV problem because I have none active.

In the Windows Viewer I see errors of doomretro.exe referencing ntdll.dll 5 times in the past hour. I guess this is how many times I ran it. It must be something before the WAD selection dialog or that one.

@Get Phobo, @VGA I'm not sure what's going on TBH. I've just tested on another machine, and it works fine for me on there as well. Could you (or anybody else) please test the following build? I figure the only thing it can be is SDL2 (which has been upgraded to 2.0.10) since nothing else has changed that should cause this, so I've included a version of the library I've compiled myself rather than using the one supplied on the SDL2 site.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bsnv4cgh9lbfh7/doomretro-3.0.1b1-win64.zip?dl=1

I emptied my folder, dropped this version in and it is the same. If you put some console output in critical points we can isolate at which point it fails, maybe?

I loaded it with a debugger and it worked. Then I noticed it worked without a debugger. Then I deleted the cfg file which was created that one time it ran and now it doesn't work! So it has to do with the cfg file attempt to read or generating a new one.

Damn I'm good!

https://pastebin.com/95nwqqr3

If anyone has problems they should create a cfg file with these contents, called doomretro.cfg

EDIT: On second thought, the cfg files contains the variable iwadfolder and this may be the cause of the problem. If it doesn't find it then the wad finding automatic function fails.

EDIT: Yeah, if I comment that line out, it starts failing again.

Edited by VGA

1 hour ago, VGA said:

I loaded it with a debugger and it worked. Then I noticed it worked without a debugger. Then I deleted the cfg file which was created that one time it ran and now it doesn't work! So it has to do with the cfg file attempt to read or generating a new one.

Damn I'm good!

https://pastebin.com/95nwqqr3

If anyone has problems they should create a cfg file with these contents, called doomretro.cfg

EDIT: On second thought, the cfg files contains the variable iwadfolder and this may be the cause of the problem. If it doesn't find it then the wad finding automatic function fails.

EDIT: Yeah, if I comment that line out, it starts failing again.

Thanks for investigating @VGA!

So, to clarify, if the iwadfolder CVAR isn't present in doomretro.cfg OR if there's no doomretro.cfg, then it fails.

If the the iwadfolder CVAR is present in doomretro.cfg (from a previous install), then it works.

Is this correct?

This is what I get to see in the Event Viewer:

3.0.0 32-bit:

Faulting application name: doomretro.exe, version: 3.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d72d5d2
Faulting module name: nvoglv32.dll, version: 26.21.14.3136, time stamp: 0x5d1c6436
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00a106ce
Faulting process id: 0x26b8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5650fc5c582a7
Faulting application path: T:\DoomRetro32\doomretro.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmii.inf_amd64_e755baa4a5b9695d\nvoglv32.dll

3.0.0 64-bit:

Faulting application name: doomretro.exe, version: 3.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d72d5b7
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17134.799, time stamp: 0x7f828745
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f479b
Faulting process id: 0x2244
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5650fd447074b
Faulting application path: T:\DoomRetro64\doomretro.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

3.0.1b1 64-bit:

Faulting application name: doomretro.exe, version: 3.0.1.0, time stamp: 0x5d740a69
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17134.799, time stamp: 0x7f828745
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f479b
Faulting process id: 0x2c34
Faulting application start time: 0x01d565cd6704a131
Faulting application path: T:\DoomRetro64-301b1\doomretro.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

The 32-bit version does start to display the IWAD selection window. After selecting it and pressing OK, the selection window disappears, but nothing else happens. It is not seemingly related to the .cfg file, though, because this happens even if the file is there. The 64-bit version does absolutely nothing at all.

However, I now get a different module reported as faulting with the 32-bit version than yesterday:

Faulting application name: doomretro.exe, version: 3.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d72d5d2
Faulting module name: ig9icd32.dll, version: 26.20.100.7000, time stamp: 0x5d14f61d
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0011a017
Faulting process id: 0x1e68
Faulting application start time: 0x01d565ce7a2cd5ad
Faulting application path: T:\DoomRetro64-301b1\doomretro.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iigd_dch.inf_amd64_2f4c7fcb86976beb\ig9icd32.dll

I didn't change anything about my system config. I have no automatic updates configured; it's all under manual control by me.

Okay, one correction: I've found out that the difference in faulting modules was dependent on my choice of GPU. So the same type of error happens with either, Intel Graphics or NVidia. File nvoglv32.dll is the OpenGL installable client driver for NVidia, ig9icd32.dll is the one for Intel. This type of error only occurs with the 32-bit version. The 64-bit version doesn't start at all. With 3.0.1b2, I get the ntdll.dll error again. The game won't even show the IWAD selection window.

15 hours ago, bradharding said:

Alright, after a bit of further testing through the debugger I've managed to fix a heap corruption. Could you guys please test the following build:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vohg2e9x9c359at/doomretro-3.0.1b2-win64.zip?dl=1

Heap corruption problems can be a real headache. What I found very helpful is the Dr. Memory tool. It's easy to use and can give a very detailed problem report with source file and line numbers. 

Interesting tool.

I just ran it without specifying any options (since I'm not a coder and don't understand much coding stuff), first with the last version known to work (2.9.3 32-bit; DrMemory-doomretro.exe.11276.000.zip; please note that it doesn't work anymore, either--this must be something about my recent Intel graphics driver update a few days ago--but it still will show the IWAD selection dialog and create a config file while the 64-bit version does neither), then with the latest 64-bit b3 (DrMemory-doomretro.exe.2692.000.zip) which gave me an error message right after start.

retroerror.png.76ea443dbd32830e264ab4b690f2bd06.png

I hope this helps a bit.

So it now crashes Dr. Memory itself, haha.

DrMemory-doomretro.exe.11276.000.zip

For me 3.0.1 still silently stops unless it finds the iwadfolder variable. Commenting and uncommenting it makes it work/fail!

If I run it as administrator, it still doesn't work.

I can confirm that DoomRetro 3.0.1 actually does run without issue on this end:

Console.png.a384485289976c961d8d0f5aa96bf1cb.png

It will ask where my iwad is, I select it and it runs..

Running doomretro-3.0.1-win32.

If it's any help, I'm on Win10 Pro 64bit.

I do however have MSVS 2019 and a really old VBv6 installed also.

So, it's likely that I have more dependent files on my system, which might make a difference?

Note that this is a clean install of Doom Retro and I'm not overwriting any previous install or anything.

Edited by Mr.Rocket