Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

It seems like exiting a map crashes the game if it is not defined in RMAPINFO (at least with the IWAD levels).

EDIT: Also, it's not parsing string changes for the casting call -- I did some Thing rearranging and changed the strings so that the order is different. The Thing order has changed but the strings have not.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the controls in id's Unity port, but using the left analog stick of the Xbox One controller for movement feels really awkward in Doom Retro. I'm not sure what the problem is, exactly, it just isn't fun to move with compared to the official console port.

5 minutes ago, bradharding said:

@maxmanium Can you please provide an example RMAPINFO that is producing the crash? And I'll also work on the other issue.

Sure. Exit on doom2.wad MAP01 and it crashes. I don't think it matters the map, just the fact that the MAP02 specified in the "next" line is not present in the lump. I actually first discovered this while trying to preview the aforementioned casting call, since it crashed (presumably) upon calling A_BrainDie.

rmapinfo.zip

24 minutes ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the controls in id's Unity port, but using the left analog stick of the Xbox One controller for movement feels really awkward in Doom Retro. I'm not sure what the problem is, exactly, it just isn't fun to move with compared to the official console port.

23 minutes ago, bradharding said:

@maxmanium Can you please provide an example RMAPINFO that is producing the crash? And I'll also work on the other issue.

@Dragonsbrethren I'll compare the two and see what you mean.

I was testing things on chocolate during the last week, and after coming back to Doom Retro, i also feel something odd with the movement, too.
The player has a little too much momentum, sliding a lot. And when you change directions in strafe, it takes a little more time to accelerate to the proper movement speed.

EDIT: i turned off V_Sync and it feels a lot better. Strange!

Edited by P41R47

using this last doomretro version 3.5.6 with the psx ost .wad I want let you know that the music doesn't loop anymore ... is there something I can fix on console or it's just a bug? thanks for your answer!

Came across a very strange error when trying out RC1 of Interception II - on MAP29 the sky spins really fast for some reason, and it appears normally in other Boom ports I've tried, so I figured I'd bring it up here. Also a number of maps crash when I try to idclev to them, I think maps 20 and 30 were a couple of them.

Edited by valkiriforce

8 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

Came across a very strange error when trying out RC1 of Interception II - on MAP29 the sky spins really fast for some reason, and it appears normally in other Boom ports I've tried, so I figured I'd bring it up here. Also a number of maps crash when I try to idclev to them, I think maps 20 and 30 were a couple of them.

I believe the sky issue is related to @maxmanium's issue above, which I've fixed. As for the crashes when idclevving, this is still occuring so I'll look into it. Thanks!

On 5/1/2020 at 5:35 PM, bradharding said:
  • Those monsters that don’t have red blood will no longer leave gibs if crushed.
  • Blood will no longer be spawned while a monster is being crushed and the r_blood CVAR is none.
  • Screenshots may now only be taken when not playing a game if the +screenshot action is still bound to the PRINTSCREEN key.

1. So they'll just disappear? Seems like a downgrade when colored gibs and even fuzzy gibs is possible.
2. Does this mean nothing will bleed during crushing? If so, an odd design decision but I'll dismiss it if so.
3. My keybind "Q" for taking screenshots now no longer works because of this change, what should I do?

4 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

1. So they'll just disappear? Seems like a downgrade when colored gibs and even fuzzy gibs is possible.
2. Does this mean nothing will bleed during crushing? If so, an odd design decision but I'll dismiss it if so.
3. My keybind "Q" for taking screenshots now no longer works because of this change, what should I do?

1. I'll reconsider this.

2. It's just for those who disable all blood using that cvar. All blood in all other instances is disabled in this case, so crushing blood should be too.

3. I'll look into this. Thanks.

Version 3.5.7 of DOOM Retro is now available! Please visit www.doomretro.com to download. Here's a list of changes:

• Optimizations have been made to further improve the overall performance and stability of DOOM Retro.
  • Minor changes have been made to text that is output to the console.
  • Things spawned using the spawn CCMD are now given an ID that is displayed by the thinglist CCMD.
  • The mouse and gamepad can now be used to open the menu from the title screen again.
  • A bug has been fixed whereby an incomplete MAPINFO lump in a PWAD could cause a crash.
  • The names of the monsters displayed during DOOM II’s cast sequence can now be specified in DEHACKED lumps.
  • The player’s weapon can no longer be changed while freeze mode is on.
  • The horizontal offset of the player’s weapon sprite will no longer be fixed when the r_fixspriteoffsets CVAR is off.
  • The effects of both the r_graduallighting and weaponbounce CVARs are now better remembered in savegames.
  • Screenshots may now be taken again while playing a game and the +screenshot action has been bound to something other than the PRINTSCREEN key.
  • When a PWAD is loaded with Freedoom: Phase 1 or Freedoom: Phase 2, if a STBAR lump is present in that PWAD, it will now be used.
  • Fixing a bug present in Vanilla DOOM, monsters will now always be alerted if attacked during the second frame of their idle animation.

50 minutes ago, bradharding said:
  • Fixing a bug present in Vanilla DOOM, monsters will now always be alerted if attacked during the second frame of their idle animation.

Somebody watched decino's latest video. *wink wink*

Curious: is there a way to configure the screenshots so that it takes multiple shots when I hold down the printscreen key? It used to be I could take multiple shots just by holding it down and could easily make animated gifs from them. Now I can only take single shots since holding the key no longer behaves this way.

6 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

Curious: is there a way to configure the screenshots so that it takes multiple shots when I hold down the printscreen key? It used to be I could take multiple shots just by holding it down and could easily make animated gifs from them. Now I can only take single shots since holding the key no longer behaves this way.

When were you last able to do this?

On 5/9/2020 at 12:02 AM, bradharding said:

When were you last able to do this?

I tried again this new version but the music still stops and doesn't loop , there is something I can do via console? I added the hq version of psx ost while playing , anyone else have this issue?

Version 3.5.8 of DOOM Retro is now available! Please visit www.doomretro.com to download. Here's a list of changes:

• Optimizations have been made to further improve the overall performance and stability of DOOM Retro.
  • When both the automap and menu are open, the grid will now still rotate in the background if the am_rotatemode CVAR is off.
  • The menu background will no longer be affected if the r_detail CVAR is low and the r_lowpixelsize CVAR is not 2×2.
  • The player’s path in the automap is no longer reset when vanilla mode is enabled and the am_path CVAR is on.
  • The timer shown when the timer CCMD is used is no longer displayed while vanilla mode is enabled.
  • Only one sound is now heard when confirming the selection of the Nightmare! skill level.
  • A bug has been fixed whereby the “entering” intermission screen would be displayed when exiting MAP30 in some instances.
  • When to update the savegame description while saving a game has now been improved.
  • Improvements have been made to the left and right edges of the console when it’s open over the automap.
  • Minor improvements have been made to the widescreen HUD when god mode is enabled.
  • When the player tries to open a BOOM-compatible door that requires more than one (or any) keycard or skull key that they don’t have, all of those keys will now flash in the widescreen HUD.
  • The gamepad can now be used again to change monsters during DOOM II’s cast sequence.
  • The 2, 3 and 4 digits used for marks in the automap are now consistent with those displayed in the console.
  • All function keys may now be used while the console is open.
  • A bug has been fixed whereby the widescreen HUD would momentarily disappear when pressing the F8 key to toggle player messages.

Were you able to find anything out about the screenshots? In the latest update I can still only take single shots instead of holding it down for multiple shots.

I also encountered a really strange error where a corpse kept sliding back and forth repeatedly, though I'm uncertain if anything could be done about it.

oMWbdbF.gif

On 5/18/2020 at 1:10 AM, valkiriforce said:

Were you able to find anything out about the screenshots? In the latest update I can still only take single shots instead of holding it down for multiple shots.

I also encountered a really strange error where a corpse kept sliding back and forth repeatedly, though I'm uncertain if anything could be done about it.

Sorry, forgot to respond! The printscreen key was originally handled using a low-level keyboard procedure. Unfortunately, I had to take this out, as it was causing performance issues, and some keystrokes to not register. I tried looking for an alternate solution, but for the moment all I can suggest is to bind +screenshot to another key.

That would be the torque code taken from PrBoom+. It's on my list of things to fix!

Another week, another build! Version 3.5.9 of DOOM Retro is now available! Please visit www.doomretro.com to download. Here's a list of changes:

• Fixing a bug present in Vanilla DOOM, scrolling wall textures (such as the SP_FACE1 textures in MAP05 of plutonia.wad) will now always scroll at the correct speed.
  • A bug has been fixed whereby certain power-ups wouldn’t bob when the r_floatbob CVAR was on.
  • The player’s ability to straferun has now been restored.
  • The A_RandomJump codepointer now works again if specified in a DEHACKED lump.
  • Files created by the condump CCMD when no parameter is specified will now be saved in a new console folder.
  • The mouse or a gamepad can now be used to open the menu from the title screen again.
  • Linedefs that have the BOOM-compatible line special of 190 (“SR Change Texture And Effect”) now work.
  • The interpolation of floors and ceilings that move instantly has now been fixed when the vid_capfps CVAR is greater than 35.

I recently got a high refresh rate monitor. I also still own a very old low refresh monitor. I got to try the am_external cvar which is a great feature. I discovered that both displays will then run at the same refresh rate, the fastest speed that both monitors support. Would it be possible to make each display render independently so each could run at their max refresh rate?

On 5/23/2020 at 3:48 PM, MrDowntempo said:

I recently got a high refresh rate monitor. I also still own a very old low refresh monitor. I got to try the am_external cvar which is a great feature. I discovered that both displays will then run at the same refresh rate, the fastest speed that both monitors support. Would it be possible to make each display render independently so each could run at their max refresh rate?

Hmm.. I'm not entirely sure that'd be possible with how SDL does things, but I'll look into it. Thanks. Is anything different if you turn off the vid_borderlesswindow CVAR?

On 5/25/2020 at 7:09 PM, bradharding said:

Hmm.. I'm not entirely sure that'd be possible with how SDL does things, but I'll look into it. Thanks. Is anything different if you turn off the vid_borderlesswindow CVAR?

Sorry that I missed your question for so long! I tried playing with vid_borderlesswindow but couldn't coax any different behaviour from the engine.

I finally got this one to run but it runs really slow here.  This is the only port i havn't got to try out yet without problems, I tried setting it to directdraw or ddraw and it still stays on direct 3d on the cfg. 

I get this on fullscreen but not on window. 

Title.png

Edited by vanilla_d00m

51 minutes ago, vanilla_d00m said:

I finally got this one to run but it runs really slow here.  This is the only port i havn't got to try out yet without problems, I tried setting it to directdraw or ddraw and it still stays on direct 3d on the cfg. 

I get this on fullscreen but not on window. 

If I remember correctly, you're running on XP without SP3? Using directdraw, etc. won't work. Try "software" but that's likely to still be slow for you. What's your screen resolution and color depth?

It says in the port's wiki that you need Win XP SP3.