Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

25 minutes ago, Get Phobo said:

There is no error for the 64-bit version in the event logs. The only error which is indeed visible in the logs occurs after exiting the 32-bit version, and only when having set vid_scaleapi to use Direct3D. There is no exception when using OpenGL.

The Direct3D exception looks like this, BTW:

I also added an exception for the 64-bit exe to my antivirus, but that didn't work, either. It's so weird. I wish I could help here as I really like providing useful info to developers to make their creations better, but here it is as if the 64-bit exe wasn't even a proper executable, although it clearly is, judging from the binary code.

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I don't think there's anything I can do about it. I can only figure there's something at your end that's causing this (both the 64-bit exe not running at all, and the D3D error). Maybe the 64-bit zip corrupted somehow when downloading so could you try downloading again? Could you perhaps try earlier versions of DR to see if they crash? Since v2.9 of DR I upgraded to Visual Studio Community 2019 to compile the builds, so maybe try a version before that.

EDIT: Actually, I've just discovered Direct3D crashes the same for me with the 32-bit build. Interesting... I suspect that it's just an SDL2 issue in its shutdown code though.

Just in time for Sigil's wider May 31 release, I've made available a small point release of DOOM Retro that, among other things, addresses a couple of Sigil-related issues. Please visit www.doomretro.com for the release notes and to download. Enjoy!

So, people should load sigil.wad not the compatibility version?

4 hours ago, VGA said:

So, people should load sigil.wad not the compatibility version?

Correct. Use SIGIL.wad, not SIGIL_COMPAT.wad. And also use SIGIL_SHREDS.wad if you want.

(BTW there's a small issue with the intermission screen that warrants a new point release...)

Thank you for the updates! Adding this port to my ZDL roster now (alongside Crispy, Eternity and GZDoom).

Thanks for another update! What's an efficient way to pistol start in Doom Retro? Even if I don't save the game, dying still starts me off with the previous map's weapons and typing "map map02" in  the console still does the same unless I start over.

20 minutes ago, Beezle said:

Thanks for another update! What's an efficient way to pistol start in Doom Retro? Even if I don't save the game, dying still starts me off with the previous map's weapons and typing "map map02" in  the console still does the same unless I start over.

Using the "pistolstart" CCMD in the console should give you what you want.

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying about the weapons after you die. So I did 2 tests:

1) Complete E1M1, go to E1M2, die in E1M2, player restarts E1M2 with pistol/50 bullets. As expected.

2) Save at some point in E1M1, complete E1M1, go to E1M2, die in E1M2, savegame from E1M1 loaded with weapon/ammo from that time it was saved. As expected.

Could you please detail when something other than the above doesn't happen?

When I played Sigil, I beat the first map then when I died on the 2nd, I still had the shotgun and some ammo from e5m1, even if I didn't save. Maybe it worked as expected for you cuz you started in one of the original episodes? Edit: I DIDN'T enter the pistol start command in but tested this in Episode 1, I finsihed with Shotgun and 70% health, then typed map e1m2 in console and started right where I left off even tough I didn't save the game. Is this normal behavior? Not really a problem at all, may actually be very helpful if you forget to save lol.

Edited by Beezle : Same in Episode 1

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I can't figure this out

I want to use Doom Retro as, basically, a rather vanilla port that's Boom compatible, so I like the vanilla mode that it has, and I want to set that to "on", permanently, minus the vanilla controls, any way to set that up?

1 hour ago, RoyCaesar said:

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I can't figure this out

I want to use Doom Retro as, basically, a rather vanilla port that's Boom compatible, so I like the vanilla mode that it has, and I want to set that to "on", permanently, minus the vanilla controls, any way to set that up?

The easiest way would be to edit the CVARs in the doomretro.cfg file to match what's here.

On 6/1/2019 at 2:36 PM, Beezle said:

When I played Sigil, I beat the first map then when I died on the 2nd, I still had the shotgun and some ammo from e5m1, even if I didn't save. Maybe it worked as expected for you cuz you started in one of the original episodes? Edit: I DIDN'T enter the pistol start command in but tested this in Episode 1, I finsihed with Shotgun and 70% health, then typed map e1m2 in console and started right where I left off even tough I didn't save the game. Is this normal behavior? Not really a problem at all, may actually be very helpful if you forget to save lol.

So, a problem with the map command then. Thanks Beezle, I'll look into it further.

Brad,

Say, can you make a change so it will be possible to assign any action/command to any key?

For example, it is currently not possible to assign a mouse key to +screenshot. But when I want to take a series of screenshots for documentation purposes, I tend to (temporarily) assign mouse4 (the thumb key on my gaming mouse) for it as that is the most convenient solution.

Speaking of which, it would also be great to have a kind of temporary bind command that overrides any binding stored in the cfg file but doesn't overwrite it and is only active for the current game session.

You can make a copy of your cfg, change whatever and after you quit Doom Retro, put it back in place.

That's not the same since there would be no possibility to store non-temporary binds--stuff that you do want to make permanent. It was just an idea, anyway, but I believe it would make sense.

5 hours ago, Get Phobo said:

Brad,

Say, can you make a change so it will be possible to assign any action/command to any key?

For example, it is currently not possible to assign a mouse key to +screenshot. But when I want to take a series of screenshots for documentation purposes, I tend to (temporarily) assign mouse4 (the thumb key on my gaming mouse) for it as that is the most convenient solution.

Speaking of which, it would also be great to have a kind of temporary bind command that overrides any binding stored in the cfg file but doesn't overwrite it and is only active for the current game session.

Hi Get Phobo. I'll work on allowing the +screenshot action to be bound to a mouse button (having not done it before only because I didn't think there would be use for it). As for a temporary bind command, I'll need to give that more thought... Thanks for the suggestions!

Hey Brad,

I don't know if anyone else has said this but Doom Retro lags a little bit for me. Not as in frame drop but as in input lag. It never used to happen when I mained Doom Retro 2 years ago, but I swear it almost feels like I have V-Sync enabled. It is most noticeable for the mouse but the controls lag a tad too.

2 hours ago, TheNerdTurtle2 said:

Hey Brad,

I don't know if anyone else has said this but Doom Retro lags a little bit for me. Not as in frame drop but as in input lag. It never used to happen when I mained Doom Retro 2 years ago, but I swear it almost feels like I have V-Sync enabled. It is most noticeable for the mouse but the controls lag a tad too.

Not sure what this could be. I'm guessing it's not the mouse, since you say it happens for other controls. Do both the 32 and 64-bit versions do the same? Try deleting your doomretro.cfg and test? Try changing vid_scaleapi to "direct3d". Also, try running with -nosound on the command-line. Maybe it could be the sfx or music causing the lag?

17 hours ago, bradharding said:

Hi Get Phobo. I'll work on allowing the +screenshot action to be bound to a mouse button (having not done it before only because I didn't think there would be use for it). As for a temporary bind command, I'll need to give that more thought... Thanks for the suggestions!

That's one thing I absolutely LOVE about Doom Retro, right after download I didn't need to mess with anything, controls were perfect and so were other settings. But yeah screenshot would be nice, I rarely use it lol, but it'd still be cool if that could be done by command in future update:)

I'll attempt those all tonight, just curious I am running the 64 bit version would the 32 bit version make a difference? I have a 64 bit machine

9 hours ago, TheNerdTurtle2 said:

I'll attempt those all tonight, just curious I am running the 64 bit version would the 32 bit version make a difference? I have a 64 bit machine

Probably not. But Get Phobo can't run the 64-bit build at all, so I'm just wondering if maybe these issues are related. The 32-bit build is built using an older platform toolset in Visual Studio to maintain XP compatibility, so maybe that's why it'll run better.

EDIT: @TheNerdTurtle2, could you please replace SDL2.dll in your DOOM Retro (64-bit) folder with this and test? Also, is your Windows 10 up to date?

Edited by bradharding

11 hours ago, bradharding said:

But Get Phobo can't run the 64-bit build at all.

Actually, I've found out that I can run it, but seemingly only once, after a system restart. So, the game will run once, but then, after exiting, I won't be able to run it again. The 32-bit version runs without any such problems as often as I want it to.

EDIT: It seems that a system restart is not necessary. Randomly playing the 32-bit version and then switching to the 64-bit version does work at times, too. It's so difficult to reproduce, but I will do my best.

Edited by Get Phobo

Does Doom Retro have the fix for the blockmap bug implemented that causes vanilla Doom to let you 'shoot into emptiness' without hitting the target you're aiming at?

All other ports seem to have that fixed, but it occurs to me that this one hasn't. Is my impression correct?

47 minutes ago, Get Phobo said:

Does Doom Retro have the fix for the blockmap bug implemented that causes vanilla Doom to let you 'shoot into emptiness' without hitting the target you're aiming at?

All other ports seem to have that fixed, but it occurs to me that this one hasn't. Is my impression correct?

If you're referring to this, it should be fixed, and for a while now. (Using a monster's bounding box rather than a cross section for collision detection is a more recent change in DR.) If you're still experiencing issues that suggest otherwise, please let me know.

Yes, that's what I mean. I replayed the same maps with GZDoom, and nothing like that ever happened. In Retro, it happened all the time.

I will look into it again later because I haven't ever noticed that bug before, only now when playing some maps by a guy from Hungary who's got talent but is still new to mapping, making many classic mistakes. He definitely didn't use a non-ZDoom compatible nodebuilder. So I will try out his maps using Crispy Doom later and see what it gets me and then report here.

Sadly, I couldn't reproduce the blockmap bug. Perhaps I'll come across it some time later again, we'll see.

I've been using Doom Retro (as included in Delta Touch on Android) for a couple weeks now and I just love it. I love the little tweaks you've made while keeping the vanilla look and feel, which is important to me. Gotta keep Doom crunchy!

I love that I can use to to play nearly anything that isn't a straight up Zdoom only map. I also love the handy -pistolstart CMD. No need for a mod or manual map loading to achieve a good ole pistol start.

I hope that a macOS binary gets thrown into the mix at some point soon. I'd love to use it when I find myself playing on my MacBook.

Thanks for the fantastic port 🙂

@bradharding Hi. I accidentally found a bug (I think it is). I warped to e1m8b through the console, then started a new game and instead of going to e1m1 it restarted e1m8b with e1m1's music. If you do it again it does go to e1m1 though. 

6 hours ago, UNERXAi said:

@bradharding Hi. I accidentally found a bug (I think it is). I warped to e1m8b through the console, then started a new game and instead of going to e1m1 it restarted e1m8b with e1m1's music. If you do it again it does go to e1m1 though. 

Thanks @UNERXAi, I'll look into fixing this.

Finally tried Doom Retro,  I like alot of things it does. I would love use Crispy but lack of Boom support is a real dealbreaker for me. I also like the minimal wad loader that you have. I am not really a fan of the more modern features DR like the console and the extra effects but I guess I can live with those things if Doom Retro does all the things I need. Atleast the extra effects can be turned off. I do also wish there was DR version of the "Crispness" menu. This thing has alot potential to become my main Doom source port.

It seems Sector Effect 17 (Light Flicker) does not work the same in Retro. 

Effect_17.JPG.5f232626b5b991821ac1fe6d3ed028bc.JPG

The triangle has effect 17 and a brightness of 160. Both surrounding textures have a brightness of 176.

In Chocolate, Crispy, PrBoom+, and GZDoom, the triangle appears to alternate between 160 and 176, but in Retro it is stuck at 176.

Here's a quick map with the same basic idea as the picture: Effect_17.zip

By the way, I'm on 2.9.0, in case you happened to address this already.

EDIT: I should add that in most cases, the effect works as expected.