• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

I am on Win 8.1 x64

By the way, Bard, why do I encounter

Cannot open include file: '../midiproc/midiproc.h': No such file or directory

when I try to build in VS 2019 from a clone of the github repo? I already had to change the target of midiproc from v141_xp to v141 to avoid another error by the way. I can't seem to find "v141_xp" in the installer.

In my case, the 32-bit version runs perfectly fine whereas the 64-bit version simply doesn't open anything (no iwad selection, no error message, nothing).

I am on windows 10 64-bit

32bit works for me, too. Also, the one time I had tried it under debugging it worked, so I guess it may be memory/heap-related.

C sucks!

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:24 PM, Get Phobo said:

So it now crashes Dr. Memory itself, haha.

As I understood it, Dr. Memory just executes the application under test as-is, while at the same time bookkeeping the memory usage of that application. So a crash in the application will not be prevented right away. The big problem with heap corruption is that the impact can be random: it might crash the application on one sytem, but it might also remain undetected on another system. That's where Dr. Memory can help. Even if the application does not crash at all, the tool will still create a log of all occurances of heap corruption. When the application was build with debug info, also function names and line numbers are reported to pinpoint the origin of the heap corruption.

5 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

I can confirm that DoomRetro 3.0.1 actually does run without issue on this end:

It will ask where my iwad is, I select it and it runs..

Running doomretro-3.0.1-win32.

If it's any help, I'm on Win10 Pro 64bit.

I do however have MSVS 2019 and a really old VBv6 installed also.

So, it's likely that I have more dependent files on my system, which might make a difference?

Note that this is a clean install of Doom Retro and I'm not overwriting any previous install or anything.

I have pretty much the same observation here. I'm on Win 10 Home 64 bit. Both doomretro-3.0.1-win32 and doomretro-3.0.1-x64 run fine from a clean install, including the iwad selection popup. I do have MSVS 2017 installed.

Thanks everyone. I've downloaded Dr Memory, run doomretro.exe through it and am trying to make sense of the results. It seems that there's quite a few issues that need addressing. (Also, infighting now appears to be broken.) So hopefully a v3.0.2 won't be too far away.

Hi everyone. I've just released a small point release, version 3.0.2. It addresses some stability issues, fixes infighting, and applies some compatibility fixes for Noiser's D4V. Visit www.doomretro.com to download, and if you have any issues please let me know.

For me, the silent crashing error is not there. I just downloaded the program from the website. (It is the 32bit version. I guess the x64 would still have the problem?)

@Get PhoboDid you try the 32bit version?

But if you create a doomretro.cfg file and put

iwadfolder "C:\path\to\your\wads\folder"

in it, with the correct folder, it works, right?

Surprisingly, for some reason, it works now (only the 32-bit version). I updated my Intel Graphics driver yesterday, though. The previous version was the 7000, released a few weeks ago, now it's the 7158. So, this works now. It is not dependent on a .cfg file being present. The file is created automatically by the game after I choose the IWAD.

Guess I'll try this here: Do you think you could try implementing "fake 3D" Y-shearing perspective correction for mouselook like DelphiDoom does?

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1972483

I suggested this feature for Crispy Doom back in March, but fabian didn't seem sure how to add it. Think this is something you could take a crack at, though?

1 hour ago, Triple_sSs said:

Guess I'll try this here: Do you think you could try implementing "fake 3D" Y-shearing perspective correction for mouselook like DelphiDoom does?

I suggested this feature for Crispy Doom back in March, but fabian didn't seem sure how to add it. Think this is something you could take a crack at, though?

It would be cool to see it implemented in a Chocolate-Doom derived port.

On 10/1/2019 at 2:31 PM, Triple_sSs said:

I remember having a look at Delphi Doom's code back then, and encountered the same roadblock as fabian: not familiar with Pascal, and wouldn't know where to start with the code. Interesting idea though.

Hey Brad, I was re-configuring all of my sourceports and managed to find two bugs involving monsters.

1. The -nomonsters command line parameter does not work as intended, but instead rotates all monsters so that they spawn facing east. (???)

2. Typing "kill monsters" in the console crashes the engine.

4 hours ago, maxmanium said:

Hey Brad, I was re-configuring all of my sourceports and managed to find two bugs involving monsters.

1. The -nomonsters command line parameter does not work as intended, but instead rotates all monsters so that they spawn facing east. (???)

2. Typing "kill monsters" in the console crashes the engine.

Hi. Thanks for the report. The first one I've fixed already. I'll check out the second. A new build will be out in a few days.

(BTW "kill all" can be used in the console instead. I can confirm that works fine.)

Playing through DOOM Retro recently, I noticed that if you use the last of your super shotgun ammo the player still reloads the weapon even though there are no shells left.

5 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

Playing through DOOM Retro recently, I noticed that if you use the last of your super shotgun ammo the player still reloads the weapon even though there are no shells left.

Thanks @valkiriforce! I'll have it fixed in the next version.

hi Brad, I was hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction to find the source of a game-breaking bug I'm encountering in my mapset when trying to run it in Doom Retro. the wad in question is a 3-map episode that bundles D4V and OTEX into the wad too, and should be Boom-compatible. I've had success running the wad in PrBoom+, GLBoom+, GZDoom, and Zandronum, but Doom Retro crashes instantly on startup with no error message, and I can't figure out why exactly. I did some experimenting with trial and error, removing large portions of lumps from the wad that I thought might be the offenders, and in doing so it appears that the PNAMES lump is the offender somehow. the TEXTURE2 and PNAMES lumps were created by basically taking the full TEXTURE2 + PNAMES lumps from OTEX and running them through Slade's "Remove Unused Textures/Patches" commands.

does any of this sound familiar to something you've encountered before? both OTEX and Eviternity work fine in Doom Retro, which confuses me even more. I am definitely not asking you spend a bunch of time trying to debug this one particular issue for this random tiny mapset, but if you can think of anything that might help me debug or track down the issue, that would be awesome!

here's the wad download if that's any help:

http://bit.ly/drought-rc2

Hi @Tango. I actually saw the comment under your map's post that it wasn't working in DR, and I have been trying to determine the problem for the past few days. So far I'm not sure what's going on. I've narrowed it down to the PNAMES and/or TEXTURE2 lumps as well. I'll keep trying.

so I noticed, that r_liquid cvars apply to every flat that uses more than one image. Would that be somehow possible to make it work only on stuff that is intended to be a liquid? Maybe a cvar that would make it apply only to flats from the IWADS, while not affecting stuff from PWADS? I am asking, because sometimes when I play pwads, I notice that flats, that for example have a flickering light bulb animation, have a liquid swirl applied to them, and it looks weird. I know I can always disable liquid effects, but I like them, when they work on stuff they were designed for.

Edit: Also, is there a way to make screen stretch for 5:4 resolutions? I am using 1280x1024 monitor, and I have small black bars at the top, and bottom of the screen. I didn't see any cvar that would be helpful here

14 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

so I noticed, that r_liquid cvars apply to every flat that uses more than one image. Would that be somehow possible to make it work only on stuff that is intended to be a liquid? Maybe a cvar that would make it apply only to flats from the IWADS, while not affecting stuff from PWADS? I am asking, because sometimes when I play pwads, I notice that flats, that for example have a flickering light bulb animation, have a liquid swirl applied to them, and it looks weird. I know I can always disable liquid effects, but I like them, when they work on stuff they were designed for.

Edit: Also, is there a way to make screen stretch for 5:4 resolutions? I am using 1280x1024 monitor, and I have small black bars at the top, and bottom of the screen. I didn't see any cvar that would be helpful here

Not all animated flats are treated as liquid. DR won't treat "SLIME09" to "SLIME12" as liquid (the molten rock flat), but will all other default textures. For new animated flats in the ANIMATED lump, DR will look at the lump's name and if it has (or some variation of) "SLIME", "WATER", "SLUDGE", "LAVA", "BLOOD", "NUKAGE", etc. it will treat it as liquid. OTEX animated flats are identified correctly as liquid. And lastly, compatibility fixes are applied for several PWADs. Please let me know of the PWADs you've come across, and I'll happily apply compatibility fixes for those also.

As for supporting 1280x1024, I'll look into it. Thanks.

The wad on my mind this time was Doom Zero. "SLIME05" to "SLIME08" is treated as liquid, but it is meant to be a flashing lightbulb. Will let you know if I remember other wads where I noticed that effect.

Version 3.1 of DOOM Retro is now available! Visit www.doomretro.com to download. Here's a list of the changes:

• Optimizations have been made to further improve the overall performance and stability of DOOM Retro.

• DOOM II: Hell On Earth’s IWAD no longer needs to be the BFG Edition for nerve.wad to be automatically loaded if found.

• Minor changes have been made to the character set used in the console.

• Minor changes have been made to text that is output to the console.

• The effects of the autotilt CVAR are now disabled while the freeze or no clipping modes are on.

• The default value of am_gridcolor has been changed from 6 to 111, making the automap’s grid a slightly lighter gray.

• If a berserk power-up was previously taken away from the player using the take CCMD, they may no longer equip their fists if they have a chainsaw.

• The pistol may now be taken away from and given back to the player using the take and give CCMDs.

• The thing triangles in the automap representing dogs will now be the correct size when using the IDDT cheat.

• The player will no longer reload their super shotgun after firing their last two shells.

• A bug has been fixed whereby not all monsters near the player would infight once the player died and the infighting CVAR was on.

• Further improvements have been made to the support for Noiser’s DOOM 4 VANILLA.

• The z-coordinate displayed by the IDMYPOS cheat now accommodates for when the player is in liquid and the r_liquid_lowerview CVAR is on.

• A bug has been fixed whereby a flying monster could fall out of the air if over a moving, liquid sector in some instances.

• The horizontal and vertical sensitivity of a gamepad’s thumbsticks can now both be adjusted individually. The gp_sensitivity CVAR has been replaced by the new gp_sensitivity_horizontal and gp_sensitivity_vertical CVARs. Each CVAR is a value between 0 and 128, and 64 by default.

• If a friendly dog is returning to the player, they will now drop from any height regardless of how far they are away.

• Monsters can no longer be spawned outside of the map if the player is too close to a wall when using the spawn CCMD.

• A bug has been fixed whereby bobbing power-ups wouldn’t move on BOOM-compatible scrolling sectors in some instances if the r_floatbob CVAR was on.

• The correct sound is now played when a BOOM-compatible generalized door opens or closes at normal speed.

• Linedefs with specials but no sectors tagged are now handled better.

Hi Brad!
I found a very weird bug when playing with D4V: The Hell Knights are shooting grenades when you use extra-weapons
I tested with the 2.4 version + Moonblood. I selected them with the launcher.

Edited by Noiser

D4V doesn't even work properly for me in Doom Retro because the -nodeh parameter returns an error saying that doomretro.wad is the wrong version (which it definitely isn't).

On 11/1/2019 at 9:16 PM, bradharding said:
  • Further improvements have been made to the support for Noiser’s DOOM 4 VANILLA.

Does Doom Retro handle mancubi and arachnatrons replacements in map 07 of Doom II? I saw a discussion somewhere about it but I don’t remember the conclusion.

15 hours ago, Noiser said:

Hi Brad!
I found a very weird bug when playing with D4V: The Hell Knights are shooting grenades when you use extra-weapons
I tested with the 2.4 version + Moonblood. I selected them with the launcher.

Thanks Noiser. I'll look into it.

13 hours ago, maxmanium said:

D4V doesn't even work properly for me in Doom Retro because the -nodeh parameter returns an error saying that doomretro.wad is the wrong version (which it definitely isn't).

Just fixed! Thanks!

6 hours ago, Krazov said:

Does Doom Retro handle mancubi and arachnatrons replacements in map 07 of Doom II? I saw a discussion somewhere about it but I don’t remember the conclusion.

I did look into it at one point, but nothing has been done.