Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

I've finished the second half Eviternity II (including the secret levels) on Doom Retro and I've reported issues on this source port. I don't know if goes here or the Eviternity II thread.

The DSSAWUP sound lump is an unknown format because the lump is a marker.

The ship's cannon blast doesn't make a sound unless you teleport there from the switch that lowers down the sector.

MAP32 has a "freeze"(not a frame spike) on the player (including your projectiles), but not the monsters (who are not on the instakill sector) when a large amount of monsters get killed at once. This also happens with MAP36 at the final fight.   It takes time to kill all the enemies instead going all at once.

When it "recharges" the eighth light wall doesn't go on, as when the switch raises up, it does the instakill sector automatically, the second wave occurs automatically as well. Pressing the switch activates the third wave with the electrified water on, but it doesn't kill them and you as well. But when it does it again, it reaches to the eighth light and automatically activates the switch, the instakill sector stays on permanently. The only way as if you stayed at northern and southern parts away from the water and strafe run to the exit.

When I looked at Meowgi's VODs (which it was played on DSDA-Doom) on those maps it shouldn't do that in the first place.

After completing MAP30 and the text screen, it takes you to the default ending screen and not MAP37 (which is the credits map).

When I took an in-game screenshot, it looks jumbled from taking a very large area? This is a taken screenshot from MAP26: Myriad. It seems to do that with other wads too.

Spoiler

Myriad.png.632cc4494ff47019bb97e0768a104cb9.png

Somehow, the HUD doesn't show skull keys if you have the key cards first.

5 hours ago, S3M_XM said:

I've finished the second half Eviternity II (including the secret levels) on Doom Retro and I've reported issues on this source port. I don't know if goes here or the Eviternity II thread.

The DSSAWUP sound lump is an unknown format because the lump is a marker.

The ship's cannon blast doesn't make a sound unless you teleport there from the switch that lowers down the sector.

MAP32 has a "freeze"(not a frame spike) on the player (including your projectiles), but not the monsters (who are not on the instakill sector) when a large amount of monsters get killed at once. This also happens with MAP36 at the final fight.   It takes time to kill all the enemies instead going all at once.

When it "recharges" the eighth light wall doesn't go on, as when the switch raises up, it does the instakill sector automatically, the second wave occurs automatically as well. Pressing the switch activates the third wave with the electrified water on, but it doesn't kill them and you as well. But when it does it again, it reaches to the eighth light and automatically activates the switch, the instakill sector stays on permanently. The only way as if you stayed at northern and southern parts away from the water and strafe run to the exit.

When I looked at Meowgi's VODs (which it was played on DSDA-Doom) on those maps it shouldn't do that in the first place.

After completing MAP30 and the text screen, it takes you to the default ending screen and not MAP37 (which is the credits map).

When I took an in-game screenshot, it looks jumbled from taking a very large area? This is a taken screenshot from MAP26: Myriad. It seems to do that with other wads too.

Reveal hidden contents

Myriad.png.632cc4494ff47019bb97e0768a104cb9.png

Somehow, the HUD doesn't show skull keys if you have the key cards first.

Hi @S3M_XM. Thanks for the bug report! I'll make my way through these issues. For the screenshot problem, change the vid_scaleapi CVAR to direct3d9 and they should be fine.

Thanks! Changing to direct3d9 works normally; for the screenshot jumble it was in vid_scaleapi direct3d11 for context that I forgot to add.

Playing on DOOM Retro the past few years, I have nothing much but nice things to say about it. I remember the first time playing with it and not liking some of the changes, like the greyscaled background when in a menu screen. Then I realized that DOOM Retro is trying to be its own thing, with its own unique visual characteristics, which I find really cool and is the reason why I only use DOOM Retro for vanilla-style gameplay. One interesting characteristic of DOOM Retro is how all of the SFX sound. They are all the same SFX, but they just sound... Different. The best way I can describe it is that DOOM Retro perhaps has more clarity. Just take a listen yourself. I really only have one gripe with DOOM Retro and that's how I never liked how the automap font and the player statistics font do not match. The way statistics are implemented into the automap seem out of place when compared to other source ports and how they add it, in my opinion. Other than that, DOOM Retro started as a source port I never really liked but then later it grew into becoming my favorite source port! Keep up the fantastic work, seriously!

On 4/10/2024 at 4:15 AM, Fireseth said:

Playing on DOOM Retro the past few years, I have nothing much but nice things to say about it. I remember the first time playing with it and not liking some of the changes, like the greyscaled background when in a menu screen. Then I realized that DOOM Retro is trying to be its own thing, with its own unique visual characteristics, which I find really cool and is the reason why I only use DOOM Retro for vanilla-style gameplay. One interesting characteristic of DOOM Retro is how all of the SFX sound. They are all the same SFX, but they just sound... Different. The best way I can describe it is that DOOM Retro perhaps has more clarity. Just take a listen yourself. I really only have one gripe with DOOM Retro and that's how I never liked how the automap font and the player statistics font do not match. The way statistics are implemented into the automap seem out of place when compared to other source ports and how they add it, in my opinion. Other than that, DOOM Retro started as a source port I never really liked but then later it grew into becoming my favorite source port! Keep up the fantastic work, seriously!

Thanks for the kind words @Fireseth. I'm glad you're enjoying it. I hadn't noticed the difference in SFX before tbh. It certainly wasn't intentional, but am also happy to leave it as it is. As for the font used for player stats in the automap: I've experimented with using DOOM's regular font, and quite frankly don't like how it looks. I'll play around some more though. (BTW Thanks again for your suggestion on Github!)

I like the fonts YOU picked more for this port, if they are all the same, where is the fun? I think keeping it unique in some ways is a good thing. 800p though ..:)

12 hours ago, bradharding said:

I've experimented with using DOOM's regular font, and quite frankly don't like how it looks. I'll play around some more though. (BTW Thanks again for your suggestion on Github!)

I really do like the original DOOM Retro font though, really nice addition to the console. Regarding the automap statistics, I'm sure there are ways to keep your new original font but make it "fit" more with the DOOM theme... Maybe change of colors, location on screen, wording, etc, etc. Besides that, if nothing ends up changing, I'm sure it will grow on me. This is pretty much the only (subjectively) bad thing I have to say about the source port, which says a lot about the source port!! :)

I'm glad the feature I suggested on Github was added so quickly! Super happy to see and now play with!

12 hours ago, Fireseth said:

I really do like the original DOOM Retro font though, really nice addition to the console. Regarding the automap statistics, I'm sure there are ways to keep your new original font but make it "fit" more with the DOOM theme... Maybe change of colors, location on screen, wording, etc, etc. Besides that, if nothing ends up changing, I'm sure it will grow on me. This is pretty much the only (subjectively) bad thing I have to say about the source port, which says a lot about the source port!! :)

I'm glad the feature I suggested on Github was added so quickly! Super happy to see and now play with!

Hmm.. perhaps what I could do is implement an am_playerstatscolor CVAR. It'll still be white by default, but this would allow you to make the stats red (or whatever).

Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2024 at 11:20 PM, bradharding said:

Hmm.. perhaps what I could do is implement an am_playerstatscolor CVAR. It'll still be white by default, but this would allow you to make the stats red (or whatever).

This sounds like a great idea! I think red or yellow would be the colors I would try out with it.

UPDATE: The change is wonderful! Red or yellow text definitely fits so much more IMO. White just seemed out of place.

Edited by Fireseth

I haven't encountered any bugs recently so here I am with another cosmetic thing to nitpick about! It seems that the berserk pickup notification is designed for 16:9 play, rather than the traditional and more "retro" 4:3 play. When a player picks up the berserk pack, the very last sentence is cut off because it's too long. Rip and what? Rip and teabag, maybe...

ItFzFQM.png

1 hour ago, Fireseth said:

I haven't encountered any bugs recently so here I am with another cosmetic thing to nitpick about! It seems that the berserk pickup notification is designed for 16:9 play, rather than the traditional and more "retro" 4:3 play. When a player picks up the berserk pack, the very last sentence is cut off because it's too long. Rip and what? Rip and teabag, maybe...

Thanks. I might drop "rip and tear" only when 4:3, or drop it entirely (it was a 2016 thing).

... "rip and teabag"...? Intriguing... :P