Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

Windows has encountered a error and needs to close.  Lol, I wan't to try this one out, im all about RETRO and DOOMRETRO is a must try!

49 minutes ago, vanilla_d00m said:

Windows has encountered a error and needs to close.  Lol, I wan't to try this one out, im all about RETRO and DOOMRETRO is a must try!

I'll see what I can do. But could you please do the following?

Run doomretro.exe so the error occurs.
Open the Windows Event Viewer (Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools)
Click Windows Logs > Application
Look for the error in the list, copy all the text of the error and PM it to me (the text should contain an exception code, fault offset, etc.)

Thanks in advance!

Is anybody else able to run DOOM Retro under Windows XP? It used to work...

22 minutes ago, vanilla_d00m said:

Faulting application doomretro.exe, version 2.8.1.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

For more information.

see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I can't wait to try ths one.. seriously.

Thanks for doing this. But unfortunately the error gives me no clue to what's causing this. Is your XP updated with SP3? Maybe try DR by creating a shortcut. See here.

SP2.... it won't let me install 3.

I tried the shortcut thing and the same thing happens again, I think this port is the ONE.

33 minutes ago, vanilla_d00m said:

SP2.... it won't let me install 3.

I tried the shortcut thing and the same thing happens again, I think this port is the ONE.

It might actually have something to do with the fact that you're not using the latest Service Pack, DR probably doesn't support XP SP2 and below (below for sure, according to the site, XP SP2 no idea).

Also, you really shouldn't be using XP in 2019, especially if it's installed on your main machine, that thing is a ticking bomb waiting to finally blow up.

E: "DOOM Retro is single player only, and runs in Windows Vista and above. Released under version 3 of the GNU General Public License, its C source code is maintained in a public Git repository and compiled using Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019. Although unsupported, DOOM Retro may also be compiled under Linux and OS X."

Okay, that a new one, I think that part was modified recently. If that's the case, you might be out of luck here.

I guess I wont be using doom retro, i tried the versions made for XP too.

Someone has told me about not using windows xp before... what do you guys mean?? its been installed on my main machine for years.

All i know is that its the most stable and its the most reliable for the old games??  stable/wont crash on you??

11 minutes ago, vanilla_d00m said:

I guess I wont be using doom retro, i tried the versions made for XP too.

Someone has told me about not using windows xp before... what do you guys mean??

All i know is that its the most stable and its the most reliable for the old games??

Because support for XP ended way back in 2014, you won't be seeing more security patches, drivers from Intel/NVIDIA/AMD, and bug fixes for it. Ever. Software is no longer written for it.

It's unsafe to go online with that thing. If you really need it for old games, you might want to consider setting up a virtual machine or something.

Well that might explain why when I use GZDOOM I see no skys in the SKY.  I have a old computer, the tower is white/grey.

I don't have a CRT monitor though... just LCD (But I prefer CRT over LCD because of DOOM)

I'm very careful on where I browse on the internet :)   maybe i should install some anti virus, I did download some stuff on doomworld??

I ALWAYS have updates off and its been that way since 2004, sad to see support stop in 2014

I needed all the performance for my games... less updates on my PC did wonders.

Edited by vanilla_d00m

8 minutes ago, vanilla_d00m said:

maybe i should install some anti virus

... you're not even using an anti-virus?

Oh, boy...

I don't have much programs on.... maybe like 2 at the max when I see the icons on the bottom right.

Sound Equalizer/Realtek AC97 Audio Volume Adjuster and Windows messenger (doesnt work anymore)

what do you think of doom retro btw?? is the OPL good on it?

Hi all! I'm pleased to announce the release of v2.9 of DOOM Retro! This is a major release and contains a significant number of improvements and bugfixes, and is (hopefully) SIGIL-ready. Thank you so much to all who have contributed in some way! Please visit www.doomretro.com for the full release notes and to download.

Still having some issue with Eviternity's death exits, although this one is really minor and typing "map map11" or whichever map solves the problem easily, but it did the death exit normally with no issues at the end of map 10, but still had all my weapons from the previous maps starting map 11. Using the 64 bit version of Doom Retro 2.9. By the way, is Doom Retro considered a "limit-removing" source port?

Edited by Beezle : One more question.

On 5/19/2019 at 1:19 AM, Beezle said:

Still having some issue with Eviternity's death exits, although this one is really minor and typing "map map11" or whichever map solves the problem easily, but it did the death exit normally with no issues at the end of map 10, but still had all my weapons from the previous maps starting map 11. Using the 64 bit version of Doom Retro 2.9. By the way, is Doom Retro considered a "limit-removing" source port?

Thanks Beezle. I've been looking into this the past couple of days and am yet to find an adequate solution.

EDIT: Fixed!

On 5/19/2019 at 3:38 AM, Urthar said:

It's Vanilla, Limit-Removing, Boom & MBF compatible.

Note: technically, DR isn't fully MBF compatible. Linedef action 271 is there, but no bouncy or friendly things [yet].

Edited by bradharding

Hi guys! I've just released a new small point release of DOOM Retro. Version 2.9.1 resolves a couple of issues, as well as being SIGIL-ready (for real this time!). Please visit www.doomretro.com.

I'm having some trouble with opening SIGIL_SHREDS.wad. Doom Retro's wiki says it supports MP3 lumps but for whatever reason i'm just choking on them here. Console says "The D_INTRO music lump cannot be played." on game start.

5 hours ago, PvtDustinEchoes said:

I'm having some trouble with opening SIGIL_SHREDS.wad. Doom Retro's wiki says it supports MP3 lumps but for whatever reason i'm just choking on them here. Console says "The D_INTRO music lump cannot be played." on game start.

That's strange. I can play SIGIL_SHREDS.wad just fine myself. How are you loading things? Using the built-in WAD launcher? If through the command-line can you provide that please?

Hey I'm loading Sigil.wad with only the Sigil_shreds.wad and it seems to be working perfectly, its really odd that the error pops up in the console. Others had said there's some trouble with the Buckethead soundtrack not playing, but I think its because they loaded the sigil_compat with everything else, though I think most that have reported this are using GZDoom. Then again Doom Retro 2.9.1 is the only source port I've tested since I just bought the soundtrack/wad download 20 min ago. I noticed at the start of E5M1 it looks like the monsters are sinking when they walk, you as well. If you ever played Boom Stick In The Mud its JUST like that, but this is in the red liquid at the very start of the map. Not sure if this is normal.

11 hours ago, bradharding said:

That's strange. I can play SIGIL_SHREDS.wad just fine myself. How are you loading things? Using the built-in WAD launcher? If through the command-line can you provide that please?

I've tried both the built-in WAD launcher and a third-party utility, Doom Launcher, neither of which worked. Strangely, Doom Launcher now just breaks when attempting to open Doom Retro.

You mentioned the command line which made me go and try opening Doom Retro with the argument "doomretro.exe -iwad DOOM.WAD -file SIGIL.wad -file SIGIL_SHREDS.wad"... and it works just fine.

Beezle: One of Doom Retro's little graphical enhancements is submerging both sprites and the player slightly when in liquids. You can turn this off with the cvars "r_liquid_lowerview off" to turn off the sinking effect for the player, and "r_liquid_clipsprites off" to turn off the sinking effect for the sprites.

Edited by PvtDustinEchoes

4 hours ago, PvtDustinEchoes said:

I've tried both the built-in WAD launcher and a third-party utility, Doom Launcher, neither of which worked. Strangely, Doom Launcher now just breaks when attempting to open Doom Retro.

Haven't used this launcher myself yet. I'll check it out and see what might be happening. (ZDL, ZDE, etc. work fine.)

13 hours ago, PvtDustinEchoes said:

Beezle: One of Doom Retro's little graphical enhancements is submerging both sprites and the player slightly when in liquids. You can turn this off with the cvars "r_liquid_lowerview off" to turn off the sinking effect for the player, and "r_liquid_clipsprites off" to turn off the sinking effect for the sprites.

Thanks PvtDustinEchoes! I had no idea this was a feature, had only seen it once before in Boom Stick in the Mud:)

Hi Brad,

The 64-bit version of this program doesn't run. It simply won't start. No error is being displayed. I also tried running it from the command line. All the other Doom ports work OK with my system.

I'm using Windows 10 and the latest 64-bit version of Doom Retro (2.9.1). I've tried different compatibility settings to no avail.

What could be the reason?

The 32-bit version runs without issues.

Edited by Get Phobo

2 hours ago, Get Phobo said:

Hi Brad,

The 64-bit version of this program doesn't run. It simply won't start. No error is being displayed. I also tried running it from the command line. All the other Doom ports work OK with my system.

I'm using Windows 10 and the latest 64-bit version of Doom Retro (2.9.1). I've tried different compatibility settings to no avail.

What could be the reason?

The 32-bit version runs without issues.

Hi. Without further info, I have no idea what might be causing this. I use the 64-bit version myself on Windows 10. Could your antivirus software be interfering? Could you please open Windows' Event Viewer app, and under Windows Logs, Application, look for an error for doomretro.exe? If you find one, could you PM me all the error info?

10 hours ago, bradharding said:

Hi. Without further info, I have no idea what might be causing this. I use the 64-bit version myself on Windows 10. Could your antivirus software be interfering? Could you please open Windows' Event Viewer app, and under Windows Logs, Application, look for an error for doomretro.exe? If you find one, could you PM me all the error info?

Yeah I have Norton and it will keep newly downloaded versions of Doom Retro from running at first, saying either not much is known about it or that fewer than x members in this community have this file. But it always pops up and lets me restore the .exe. Always does this with midiproc as well.

15 hours ago, bradharding said:

There is no error for the 64-bit version in the event logs. The only error which is indeed visible in the logs occurs after exiting the 32-bit version, and only when having set vid_scaleapi to use Direct3D. There is no exception when using OpenGL.

The Direct3D exception looks like this, BTW:

Faulting application name: doomretro.exe, version: 2.9.1.0, time stamp: 0x5cea387a
Faulting module name: D3D9.DLL_unloaded, version: 10.0.16299.98, time stamp: 0xe2fbf0fc
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00070eb0
Faulting process id: 0x294c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d51729c1533127
Faulting application path: u:\DoomRetro\doomretro.exe
Faulting module path: D3D9.DLL

I also added an exception for the 64-bit exe to my antivirus, but that didn't work, either. It's so weird. I wish I could help here as I really like providing useful info to developers to make their creations better, but here it is as if the 64-bit exe wasn't even a proper executable, although it clearly is, judging from the binary code.