Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

11 hours ago, P41R47 said:

...When i close DoomRetro, the midiproc doesn't close with it.

And i have to kill it from the task manager or else it produce an error whenever i open up DoomRetro again.

EDIT: i make a clean installation and it stoped happening. So i think its nothing to worry, Brad.

I'd say it's your A/V software again. ;)

8 hours ago, irukanjji said:

Here is another thing, in the doomretro.cfg, only "bind mouse1 +fire" is set, "bind mouse2"  you have to do mannually, its not set, if you want use right mouse, to do an action like in my case "bind mouse2 +use"

Yes, by default, the use action is not bound to a mouse button, as I prefer. (BTW you can bind controls in the console in-game rather than editing doomretro.cfg.)

EDIT: Also, I forgot: you can use the m_doubleclick_use CVAR in the console to restore Vanilla DOOM's behavior of double-clicking right mouse button for use action.

Edited by bradharding

I´m not very fan of bind controls in the console, i´d like more a setup config, even doom and doom2 dos have a setup config.

Another thing, i download 32 and 64 bit vs, but even i´ve a 64 bit windows, the 32 bits works very well and 64 bits wont run, any suggestions?

On 2/8/2021 at 5:40 PM, irukanjji said:

I´m not very fan of bind controls in the console, i´d like more a setup config, even doom and doom2 dos have a setup config.

Another thing, i download 32 and 64 bit vs, but even i´ve a 64 bit windows, the 32 bits works very well and 64 bits wont run, any suggestions?

Not sure about this. I have 64-bit Windows 10, and both run fine. Do you have A/V software that may be interfering? Do you get any errors when trying to run the 64-bit build?

10 hours ago, bradharding said:

Not sure about this. I have 64-bit Windows 10, and both run fine. Do you have A/V software that may be interfering? Do you get any errors when trying to run the 64-bit build?

No, i´ve win7 x64, but when i press doomretro. exe nothing hapens, no crash , no logs, nothing, it wont run, if the problem is exe, so the 32bit wont run either, but 32bits runs ok

Hi, Brad!

how you doing?

i just realice that on version 4.0.2, when the cast roll appears at the end of a mapset, it doesn't show ''you'' anymore.

It should at least show it, being the start of the show!

Hi Brad,

First thing first, I absolutely love your sourceport, it´s pretty neat and the new cosmetic features add a new replay value to old wads. That said i´ve been wondering, if it is possible to add some new features from other sourceports?

Now I know that others have been pestering you :) about adding secret notifications and secret counts to automap, but I can do without them (mostly), but is it possible to add support for decorate and mapinfo?

For example I like playing megawads like Valiant and Ancient Aliens, but only few sourceports (like GzDoom and Eternity) can use their full features, stuff like episode selection, some fancy effects (like in map 1 of AA, when you warp to level you can hear wolf howling, you know what I mean), and custom intermission screens that are especialy cool in Valiant, and give it nice atmosphere.

Is it possible to add these features, or is it not possible because of Doom Retro being fork of Chocolate Doom?

Anyway no matter what, I´m still looking forward to next update :).

23 minutes ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

but is it possible to add support for decorate and mapinfo?

Doom Retro has support for the old MAPINFO format, and has partial support for the new UMAPINFO format.

If you know how to make them, its pretty handy.

For example, i made a UMAPINFO patch to have the episode screen selection for Valiant, Eviternity, Dwid-LE and a lot more

As for the decorate, i don't think it being part of what DoomRetro aims.

Doom Retro has a ton of new free states to use and create new monsters and things, albeit still on the limitations that could be done on vanilla to MBF dehackery.

It a feature soo inovative that is being implemented on other ports. It is called DEHEXTRA.

1 minute ago, P41R47 said:

Doom Retro has support for the old MAPINFO format, and has partial support for the new UMAPINFO format.

If you know how to make them, its pretty handy.

For example, i made a UMAPINFO patch to have the episode screen selection for Valiant, Eviternity, Dwid-LE and a lot more

As for the decorate, i don't think it being part of what DoomRetro aims.

Doom Retro has a ton of new free states to use and create new monsters and things, albeit still on the limitations that could be done on vanilla to MBF dehackery.

It a feature soo inovative that is being implemented on other ports. It is called DEHEXTRA.

Those patches sound super cool :D, where can I download them?

So DEHEXTRA is like succesor to Dehacked or smth?

10 minutes ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

Those patches sound super cool :D, where can I download them?

So DEHEXTRA is like succesor to Dehacked or smth?

mines are not uploaded anywhere, but here are ones for eviternity and valiant that work right away.

https://github.com/bradharding/doomretro/issues/607

DEHEXTRA is an expanded form of dehacked. It has most of BEX format features and some new things like all the new free states and other things.

Dehacked is still around  and i don't think it would be ever succeeded completely as vanilla modding is still offering great mapsets, like REKKR, HacX, Struggle: Antaresian Legacy and more.

4 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

mines are not uploaded anywhere, but here are ones for eviternity and valiant that work right away.

DEHEXTRA is an expanded form of dehacked. It has most of BEX format features and some new things like all the new free states and other things.

Thanks a bunch for these, so you just put them in install directory, or you need some special program?

Just now, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

Thanks a bunch for these, so you just put them in install directory right?

nope, for them to work you must load them along their corresponding mapset.

You can select more than one file with Doom Retro launcher if you hold crtl key, or if you use batch files you can load it after the mapset that needs it.

I have this odd problem with 4.0 version and upwards where if I try to run doomretro.exe, nothing happens. No error message or anything, but nothing starts up. I've used 3.6.1 for a while with no problems.

Usually if I just fire up the .exe it asks for the wad file, but this doesn't happen with 4.0 or 4.0.3. I tried using a shortcut with the -iwad parameter set, but there was no difference. I wonder if it's something simple I missed, but I wasn't able to troubleshoot it myself. I'm running a regular Win 10 Home with definitely enough hardware, so it shouldn't be that either.

41 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

I have this odd problem with 4.0 version and upwards where if I try to run doomretro.exe, nothing happens. No error message or anything, but nothing starts up. I've used 3.6.1 for a while with no problems.

Usually if I just fire up the .exe it asks for the wad file, but this doesn't happen with 4.0 or 4.0.3. I tried using a shortcut with the -iwad parameter set, but there was no difference. I wonder if it's something simple I missed, but I wasn't able to troubleshoot it myself. I'm running a regular Win 10 Home with definitely enough hardware, so it shouldn't be that either.

have you tried downing the shields of your AntiVirus?

I had the same problem on almost any build.

But it get worser when sunddenly, i couldn't take any more screenshot thanks to the AV.

45 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

This probably wont apply to you, but you don´t happen to have a username with non-latin character right?

1 minute ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

This probably wont apply to you, but you don´t happen to have a username with non-latin character right?

Probably not.

Doom Retro seems to have had problems starting up, historically speaking, it just seems to constantly be something else, but it just won't go away. If it doesn't start at all, what does Event Viewer say about this?

How do you start the game and where it's installed can also help troubleshooting this recurring issue.

17 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

have you tried downing the shields of your AntiVirus?

I had the same problem on almost any build.

But it get worser when sunddenly, i couldn't take any more screenshot thanks to the AV.

Made some expections and ultimately turned off my AV for a moment, but no luck. Apparently it's not that this time around.

14 minutes ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

Nah, no non-latin characters involved here.

11 minutes ago, seed said:

Doom Retro seems to have had problems starting up, historically speaking, it just seems to constantly be something else, but it just won't go away. If it doesn't start at all, what does Event Viewer say about this?

How do you start the game and where it's installed can also help troubleshooting this recurring issue.

My Event Viewer is not in English so I can't copy paste stuff directly. But it does give an APPCRASH when I try to run the .exe and one of the notifications says something about a "faulty module: ntdll.dll". I couldn't find this .dll in the folder so I'm assuming it's buried deep in my system32?

2 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

My Event Viewer is not in English so I can't copy paste stuff directly. But it does give an APPCRASH when I try to run the .exe and one of the notifications says something about a "faulty module: ntdll.dll". I couldn't find this .dll in the folder so I'm assuming it's buried deep in my system32?

Now this looks quite interesting, it goes bonkers inside ntdll.dll of all things?

That's a core Windows file. This is the file that contains the NT kernel functions, and is located inside C:\Windows\system32. Is that all it says, "faulty module"? No error codes, nothing?

Here's the Event viewer details. Should be somewhat readable even in Finnish :P

Spoiler

unknown.png

EDIT: I asked a friend who said it might be a heap corruption bug, which doesn't say anything to me, but he said it's somewhat difficult  to pinpoint.

Hi @Aurelius.

Thanks for the report. I'll see what I can do to resolve this. You're friend is right: it would be a heap corruption. A few things to try on your end though:

• Could you please try the 32-bit build instead?
  • If you haven't done so already, could you unzip and test in a new folder, or delete doomretro.cfg?
  • Lastly, is doomretro.cfg created despite the crash? If so, are the last few lines random characters?

4 minutes ago, bradharding said:

Could you please try the 32-bit build instead?

Thanks, the 32-bit build actually worked without a problem!

5 minutes ago, bradharding said:
  • If you haven't done so already, could you unzip and test in a new folder, or delete doomretro.cfg?
  • Lastly, is doomretro.cfg created despite the crash? If so, are the last few lines random characters?

No doomretro.cfg is generated when I try to run the 64-bit build. Tried this with a freshly unzipped 4.0.3 64-bit.

I´m here to report a bug for the latest version of Doom Retro, the following conversation between me and P41R47, should explain it:

I wrote:

"Hi,

After testing the Umapinfo wads you sent me (in Valiant to be specific), my game crashed on map 30 on Valiant after the intermission screen, right when you were supposed to see cast of monsters.

Doom Retro showed me this following error message: "W_GetNumForName: HELP2 not found!"

I tried the wad you provided and also patching the uMapinfo in the the wad itself and got the same message in both casses.

P41R47 wrote:

It seems that, for some reason, Doom Retro is seeking a lump named HELP2 and not founding it.

I tried valiant without the umapinfo and it work right.

Just i case, I opened Valiant.wad and there are two different lump named help, one exactly like the Valiant logo, and the other exactly like the credit. :/

Yep, i just tested it, and its a problem with the UMAPINFO, and its quite strange as there is no HELP2 word at all on all the code.

Better write this up on the Doom Retro thread."

15 hours ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

After testing the Umapinfo wads you sent me

just to clarify this, the wads mentioned are just empty wads with the umapinfo files retrieved from here:

To add, the episode selection screen, music, all work as intended.

Except that when the cast roll has to start, it crash.

EDIT: found the problem!

there are two lines after map30 intertext definition.

interbackdrop = "BOSSBACK"
	endgame = true

I changed ''endgame'' for ''endcast'' and deletet the interbackdrop completely, and it worked just fine.

Gonna check if PrBoom+ has the same problem.

EDIT: PrBoom+ has a different kind of problem with the umapinfo patch, it doesn't end the game or crash it, it just jump to map31 :/

The fix that i applied above solved it too for PrBoom+

Edited by P41R47

On 2/8/2021 at 6:40 AM, irukanjji said:

So,  i cant run 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 on x64 version, but 4.0.3 runs fine, something changed between these versions