Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

On 3/18/2021 at 5:24 PM, bradharding said:

Good suggestion @NVNice. Thanks, I'll add it to the list. :)

That'd be great. Right now I'm using the VANILLA file you have on /res/ and it's worked perfectly. The thing that I found most genius of Doomretro is how it has savegames for each PWAD instead of IWAD. Such a small thing but makes such a strong difference.

Since *brightmaps* already exist for some of the textures, could it be possible to create ones for the monsters? Like the hands of a Hell Knight glowing when he starts to fling a projectile at you?

Edited by Muusi

1 hour ago, VGA said:

Do you mean brightmaps?

Yeah made an edit, was browsing around old Quake II files and read the word "glowskin" and that somehow replaced the word "brightmap" when i posted :D

Found a bug with the screen shake. If you reload a save when the screen is still shaking immediately after death, the screen keeps on shaking until you open the menu or take damage. A small thing but it gets kinda bothersome when Valiant is constantly kicking your ass and have to keep reloading.

Edited by Muusi : To avoid double posting.

7 hours ago, Muusi said:

Yeah made an edit, was browsing around old Quake II files and read the word "glowskin" and that somehow replaced the word "brightmap" when i posted :D

Found a bug with the screen shake. If you reload a save when the screen is still shaking immediately after death, the screen keeps on shaking until you open the menu or take damage. A small thing but it gets kinda bothersome when Valiant is constantly kicking your ass and have to keep reloading.

Hi. I've experimented with brightmaps on sprites before and decided they didn't look any good.

Thanks for the screen shake report. I have fixed this ready for the next release.

18 hours ago, bradharding said:

Hi. I've experimented with brightmaps on sprites before and decided they didn't look any good.

Damn. So i can't just whip up my own in a WAD? I'm a huge sucker for brightmaps and i love how they look on wall textures and i think they'd go just as nicely on the monsters. 

Excellent work on your port btw! In a dark and bleak world of no force feedback, Doom Retro is a shining beacon of hope :)

EDIT: Found a weird bug when using PS1 sound effect WAD. It works just fine but when i enable random sound pitches, the sfx isn't randomly pitched and some of the sfx sound like they're massively bit crushed.

Edited by Muusi

@Muusi Sorry, I didn't see your edit until now. DR's random pitch feature is a bit different to other ports. It only changes the pitch of monster sounds (each monster is given a random pitch value when they are spawned and all their sounds are at that pitch).

1 hour ago, bradharding said:

@Muusi Sorry, I didn't see your edit until now. DR's random pitch feature is a bit different to other ports. It only changes the pitch of monster sounds (each monster is given a random pitch value when they are spawned and all their sounds are at that pitch).

This sounds even better than the typical pitch randomization, but any idea why it messes up the fireball throwing sound and the ball hitting a wall when i load up a WAD that changes the sounds to the PS1 sounds? With pitch randomization disabled everything sounds like it should.

EDIT: Seems i don't even have to replace the sounds, the same thing happens with just an IWAD loaded.

Affected sounds i found:

DSTELEPT

DSFIRSHT

DSFIRXPL

DSKEATK

DSRLAUNC

DSBAREXP

DSPLASMA

And again, can i make my own brightmaps for the monsters? :P

Edited by Muusi

6 hours ago, Muusi said:

This sounds even better than the typical pitch randomization, but any idea why it messes up the fireball throwing sound and the ball hitting a wall when i load up a WAD that changes the sounds to the PS1 sounds? With pitch randomization disabled everything sounds like it should.

EDIT: Seems i don't even have to replace the sounds, the same thing happens with just an IWAD loaded.

Affected sounds i found:

DSTELEPT

DSFIRSHT

DSFIRXPL

DSKEATK

DSRLAUNC

DSBAREXP

DSPLASMA

And again, can i make my own brightmaps for the monsters? :P

I believe I've been able to fix the issue with the PSX sounds, and this so this will be ok in DR v4.1.

And, no, you can't easily make your own brightmaps for monsters in DR. You could, however, with some hackery with colormaps, do something like what I think D4V does.

1 hour ago, bradharding said:

I believe I've been able to fix the issue with the PSX sounds, and this so this will be ok in DR v4.1.

Sorry to spam you all the time but just to be clear, the same thing happens even without replacing the sound effects😅

2 hours ago, Muusi said:

Sorry to spam you all the time but just to be clear, the same thing happens even without replacing the sound effects😅

Ah, now I see what you're on about. Fixed in next version, guaranteed! ;)

Can't wait!

EDIT: Hello, me again. MP3's inside WAD files won't repeat👀

Edited by Muusi : Bug report

@bradharding Hi brad, one of the many features of Doom Retro I like is the optional IWAD map fixes like inacesible secrets in Ultimate Doom and Doom II among many others.

Since I´m nearing the end of TNT, I wanted to know if Map 29: River Styx has some fixes concerning missing energy weapons. It´s well known that the penultimate map of TNT had some balancing issues regarding pistol start, where you will be given over 300 energy cells but no plasma rifle or BFG9000 to use them with.

Did Doom Retro adress this balance issue?

Also TNT and Plutonia Experiment don´t have par times.

Edited by MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai

Hi, when I open the console in the latest DR (4.0.7) and scroll all the way up, the topmost line of the console (which specifies the port version) is half cut-off, see screenshot. If you open it in the main menu, the whole top line and half of the second line is cut off.

Also, if I set my keyboard to a non-English layout, I can't open the console with the tilde key.

Screenshot (87).png

Also, if I set my keyboard to a non-English layout, I can't open the console with the tilde key.

just open doomretro.cfg with notepad and search line bind tilde +console and replace for ex: with bind 'q' +console, save cfg file and you may open the console with q key

18 hours ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

Since I´m nearing the end of TNT, I wanted to know if Map 29: River Styx has some fixes concerning missing energy weapons. It´s well known that the penultimate map of TNT had some balancing issues regarding pistol start, where you will be given over 300 energy cells but no plasma rifle or BFG9000 to use them with.

Did Doom Retro adress this balance issue?

Also TNT and Plutonia Experiment don´t have par times.

No, that hasn't been addressed. Not sure if I'd want to add things to a map that people are used to never being there though.

Do TNT and Plutonia have official par times?

11 hours ago, ZigfriedYoshimitsu said:

Hi, when I open the console in the latest DR (4.0.7) and scroll all the way up, the topmost line of the console (which specifies the port version) is half cut-off, see screenshot. If you open it in the main menu, the whole top line and half of the second line is cut off.

Thanks. There are a few issues with the wrapping of text in the console that I still need to address.

As @irukanjji said, you can change the "bind tilde +console" line in doomretro.cfg, but you shouldn't have to. I'll look into reverting a change I made that seems to be the cause of issues like these.

No, that hasn't been addressed. Not sure if I'd want to add things to a map that people are used to never being there though.

I guess that´s understandable, it would probably create unnecesary controversy.

Great update Brad.

May I just ask: is Revenant 100's Sprite Fixing Project adapted into DR? Because some sprites, like the ssg's, seems to suggest so.

Also, the vid_showfps autoload solution works like a charm now. I was checking to see if it could be included in a bat file. but I guess no dice though.

Edited by Adamast0r

1 hour ago, Adamast0r said:

Great update Brad.

May I just ask: is Revenant 100's Sprite Fixing Project adapted into DR? Because some sprites, like the ssg's, seems to suggest so.

Also, the vid_showfps autoload solution works like a charm now. I was checking to see if it could be included in a bat file. but I guess no dice though.

Yes, the offset fixing bit of Revenant100's Sprite Fixing Project is incorporated into DR, toggled using the r_fixspriteoffsets CVAR.

Also, I may allow a "+set" command-line parameter at some point to allow what you're asking.

25 minutes ago, bradharding said:

Yes, the offset fixing bit of Revenant100's Sprite Fixing Project is incorporated into DR, toggled using the r_fixspriteoffsets CVAR.

I just wanted to confirm that it's redundant to use it in DR.

26 minutes ago, bradharding said:

Also, I may allow a "+set" command-line parameter at some point to allow what you're asking.

That sounds great!

2 hours ago, bradharding said:

please, this would be an awesome feature for more customization without needing to touch the .cfg

Hey Brad. I've got two more questions. Hope they're not too much of a drag.

1 - What is the best way to have cutom text, so to speak, in DR without messing with the messages construction or font?
Is it to alter them in the dehacked inside doomretro.wad, or is it to create DR compatible wad and deh using Whacked4, for example?

2 - Besides infinte height, that can be toggled on or off, are there other significant changes to vanilla behaviour that push DR further away from it (not aesthetic changes, mind you, but stuff such as enemy and wepon behaviour, physic, etc.) and, if so, can they me made to be toggled on and off as well?

And that's about it. I don't mean to be a bother, I'm just curious about these things as I've been relying more and more on DR.

Have a good one.

Hey Brad, I wanna report this because I think it's bug: The Cyberdemon at e2m8 and Mastermind at e3m8 doesn't make "sight" sound. But they did make their sight sound if there's some outside of those map, so I think it's a bug. DR version I using is 4.0.8

Also, I have question: Is the source port get me out to desktop after finishing e3m8 is a bug?

On 4/21/2021 at 4:12 PM, Adamast0r said:

Hey Brad. I've got two more questions. Hope they're not too much of a drag.

1 - What is the best way to have cutom text, so to speak, in DR without messing with the messages construction or font?
Is it to alter them in the dehacked inside doomretro.wad, or is it to create DR compatible wad and deh using Whacked4, for example?

2 - Besides infinte height, that can be toggled on or off, are there other significant changes to vanilla behaviour that push DR further away from it (not aesthetic changes, mind you, but stuff such as enemy and wepon behaviour, physic, etc.) and, if so, can they me made to be toggled on and off as well?

And that's about it. I don't mean to be a bother, I'm just curious about these things as I've been relying more and more on DR.

Have a good one.

Hi @Adamast0r. If you want custom text, then do so in a DEHACKED lump in a WAD. Have a look at some popular PWADs using Slade to see how. As for your question on changes to vanilla behavior, there are CVARs to toggle the corpse physics etc., but many subtle changes (such as those to fix many of these) can't be toggled on/off. You can use the vanilla CCMD in the console to enable vanilla mode, but many small differences still remain.

5 hours ago, lokbustam257 said:

Hey Brad, I wanna report this because I think it's bug: The Cyberdemon at e2m8 and Mastermind at e3m8 doesn't make "sight" sound. But they did make their sight sound if there's some outside of those map, so I think it's a bug. DR version I using is 4.0.8

Also, I have question: Is the source port get me out to desktop after finishing e3m8 is a bug?

Hi @lokbustam257. I think the cyberdemon/spiderdemon sound issue has been reported before, but I forgot about it. Thanks. I'll look into it. The error at the end of the finale of E3M8 has been fixed ready for the next release.

Hey Brad, are you planning to make a "compatibility" options for DEHACKED monsters? This probably sound nitpicking, but the blood for Super Mancubus and Pyro Knight on Valiant is not right, oh, and also, the Super Mancubus death sprite isn't right even when r_blood sets to "none".

Super Mancubus:

Spoiler

1632007959_BadReception(1).png.2bccbce92320027b1fcafe0a6c087416.png789822872_BadReception(2).png.c4bb472bab8b9e504de9b9e58d97aba0.png

Super Mancubus corpse on "r_blood: none"

Spoiler

1503885687_BadReception(4).png.ed07914f70031f5e6c9b6e4b1493860e.png

Pyro Knight

Spoiler

1587206478_BadReception(3).png.42f87996d6c2a3addd4fdc1b2ff1f904.png

Sorry if you find this annoying

I'd say green blood for the super mancubus is correct since it's corpse sprite shows green blood, it's just the pyro knight's blood that needs to be change. Being that Valiant is a popular wad, I may accommodate for this. As for your 3rd pic, regardless of what r_blood is set to, it rightly only affects and blood and blood splat sprites, and not the blood that's part of the monster's sprites.

BTW wad authors can use DR's "Blood" keyword in DEHACKED lumps to specify blood color (red, blue, green). I believe only Eviternity and Tangerine Nightmare do this at this stage.

I can't seem to bind the pause action to another key, in this case 'p'.

I did it for the screenshots so, I really don't get what I'm missing.

7 hours ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

@bradharding Hi Brad since we are on topic of popular wads like Valiant, Ancient Aliens and Eviternity, would it be possible for future versions to have a built in UMapinfo support, for custom episode sellection and so on?

DR already has a UMAPINFO support you know? Here, test my AAliens UMAPINFO on DR.

AAliensUM.rar