Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v4.3 (updated October 15, 2021)

Recommended Posts

I didn't say it before, but man, this is an excellent port. Really, really good. Looks good, good performance, 10/10.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, bradharding said:

If you run it with the -nosound command-line parameter do you still get the same problem?

The issue did not occur when I started the game with -nosound argument. Could it occur because 32 audio channels is too many for my system? Later today, I will check if the problem occurs less when I use only 8 channels

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/1/2021 at 10:32 PM, bradharding said:

Issue is now fixed! (Long story short: problem has nothing to do with saving the game. When the menu is open, I allow for the scroller to continue to animate, but failed to stop things moving. Load your test map, open then close the menu, and the voodoo doll will move.)

Ever since I noticed this issue, it miraculously started to occur in more and more wads that I play. Now it occurred in 'Just a Mapset' MAP05. Can't wait for the next update to finally get rid of it :p

Share this post


Link to post

Update on windows xp freezes. Since I changed s_channels to 8, the issue is very rare. I encountered it only once, but after changing s_stereo to mono, I didn't encounter it anymore. I will let you know if I discover something worth noting about it, but for now, I thing the port is in acceptable state on my old windows xp. Thanks for the help!

Share this post


Link to post

This port is awesome! I would never think, that i would enjoy pure classic in prehistoric SVGA. Absolute blast!

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/4/2021 at 1:16 PM, Lol 6 said:

I didn't say it before, but man, this is an excellent port. Really, really good. Looks good, good performance, 10/10.

Thanks! 😀

 

17 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

Ever since I noticed this issue, it miraculously started to occur in more and more wads that I play. Now it occurred in 'Just a Mapset' MAP05. Can't wait for the next update to finally get rid of it :p

Yeah, I'm happy to finally get rid of it. It completely stumped me the first time it was raised, but you're example map really helped. Thanks again!

 

17 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

Update on windows xp freezes. Since I changed s_channels to 8, the issue is very rare. I encountered it only once, but after changing s_stereo to mono, I didn't encounter it anymore. I will let you know if I discover something worth noting about it, but for now, I thing the port is in acceptable state on my old windows xp. Thanks for the help!

Interesting! I'll investigate if there's anything I can do to remedy this in the code, but it looks like it's a problem with SDL or SDL_mixer that's out of my control.

 

10 hours ago, RaZZoR said:

This port is awesome! I would never think, that i would enjoy pure classic in prehistoric SVGA. Absolute blast!

...

Glad you like it! Thanks for taking the time to make a vid!

Share this post


Link to post

You're welcome, it's pure classic beauty :) Only one thing, It's possible to add kill/secret count feature? (I didn't read whole thread, so maybe somebody asked before me)

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, RaZZoR said:

You're welcome, it's pure classic beauty :) Only one thing, It's possible to add kill/secret count feature? (I didn't read whole thread, so maybe somebody asked before me)

Next version. ;)

Share this post


Link to post

This might not be an issue with the sourceport, but with the wad, but I know you've included some wad fixes internally (or at least it sounds that way to me from reading the changelogs) I'm a big Batman fan, but have never played past the first level of batman.wad. Doom Retro seems like the perfect place for me to fix that. But there are issues with the sprites and weapons when playing. I've made sure to load batman.deh and even tried adding the vbatman.deh vanilla fix, but they don't seem to have any effect. Am I doing something wrong (likely) or is this wad just too old and messed up to work? I had similar issues in gzdoom. I know there's a Batman.wad reloaded for gzdoom, but I'd prefer to play the ancient wad in DoomRetro.

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, and I hear they're selling vanilla compatible wads on steam these days. ;)Postern.png.f6f4a08b12ab34758d632bcc80b81173.png Rekkr Sunken Lands looks good in Doom Retro!

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, MrDowntempo said:

Oh, and I hear they're selling vanilla compatible wads on steam these days. ;) Rekkr Sunken Lands looks good in Doom Retro!

It'll look even better in the next version, as it'll support the widescreen assets included in the wad. :)

Share this post


Link to post

Hi all! Today sees the release of v4.3 of DOOM Retro! This one's a meaty one, and among many other additions and fixes, includes often-requested player stats in the automap (they are off by default, but can be enabled using the new am_playerstats CVAR)! Please visit www.doomretro.com to download, the release notes are below, and thank you for everyone's support!

  • DOOM Retro is now compiled using v16.11.5 of Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019.
  • Optimizations have been made to further improve the overall performance and stability of DOOM Retro.
  • When DOOM Retro is run for the first time, the WAD launcher will now look for installations of The Ultimate DOOM and DOOM II: Hell On Earth purchased and downloaded using the Bethesda.net Launcher.
  • The WAD launcher will now display and launch files with an .IWAD or .PWAD extension.
  • Minor changes have been made to the splash screen.
  • Minor changes have been made to text that is output to the console.
  • Minor improvements have been made to the console’s autocomplete feature.
  • Further improvements have been made to the support for REKKR.
  • Support has also been added for the commercial release, REKKR: Sunken Land.
  • A new am_playerstats CVAR has been implemented that toggles player stats in the automap. When this CVAR is on, the number of monsters the player has killed, the items they have picked up and the secrets they have found will be displayed while the automap is open. This CVAR is both off by default and when vanilla mode is enabled.
  • The distance the player has traveled in the current map is now displayed in the top right corner of the external automap when the am_path CVAR is on.
  • Rotating the automap is now smoother when the am_rotate CVAR is on.
  • All lines in the automap will now be displayed correctly when the player has used the IDDT cheat.
  • A bug has been fixed whereby some sound effect lumps in the WAV format wouldn’t play at all.
  • The following changes have been made when a monster is crushed to death by a lowering ceiling:
    • Cacodemons, barons of hell and hell knights will now leave gibs.
    • All gibs will now be green if the r_blood CVAR is green.
    • The gibs of spectres will now be red if the r_blood CVAR is red or nofuzz.
    • An obituary is now displayed in the console when the con_obituaries CVAR is on.
  • The title in the automap has been moved slightly in some instances.
  • A dead player’s negative health will now be displayed in the status bar as it is in the widescreen HUD.
  • The items that monsters drop when they are killed will now also move slightly if walked over when the r_corpses_nudge CVAR is on.
  • The number of monsters resurrected is now displayed by the playerstats CCMD.
  • The “monsters killed by infighting” stat is now reset at the start of each map as intended.
  • A bug has been fixed whereby the facebackcolor CVAR wouldn’t be reset to its default of 5 if vanilla mode was enabled.
  • The background of the player’s face will now be a better size when the facebackcolor CVAR is a value other than its default of 5.
  • When vanilla mode is enabled, any timer set using the timer CCMD will now be reset to 0, rather than being disabled altogether.
  • The external automap will now be displayed correctly when the vid_borderlesswindow CVAR is off.
  • The vid_scaleapi CVAR is now “direct3d” by default.
  • Minor improvements have been made to the support of MAPINFO lumps.
  • Blood splats are now translucent when the r_translucency CVAR is on and the r_textures CVAR is off.
  • Turning left and right using a gamepad is now smoother.
  • A bug has been fixed whereby switching from a window to fullscreen by pressing ALT + ENTER would affect the aspect ratio if the vid_borderlesswindow CVAR was off.
  • Translucent things now cast more translucent shadows.
  • Dithered lighting is now cast on BOOM-compatible translucent wall textures.
  • Things on scrolling floors will no longer continue to move while the menu is open.
  • When the player drops down from a great height, their weapon will no longer move too far downwards when the weaponbounce CVAR is on.

Share this post


Link to post

Congrats!  You weren't kidding, nice work!

Share this post


Link to post

Bug report, the results screen seems to be fast forwarding (skipping by itself) without player input.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, JimDoeson said:

Bug report, the results screen seems to be fast forwarding (skipping by itself) without player input.

Whoops! Thanks for that. Please redownload. 😬

Share this post


Link to post

Love this! You just keep making this better and better. Now I just need a clock/time counter and it'll be perfect for me :D

 

As for bugs, I did notice this small visual error with the console. It doesn't scroll all the way up as you can see. Haven't found any other major bug so far.

Console_1.png?width=1119&height=629

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Endless said:

Love this! You just keep making this better and better. Now I just need a clock/time counter and it'll be perfect for me :D

 

As for bugs, I did notice this small visual error with the console. It doesn't scroll all the way up as you can see. Haven't found any other major bug so far.

 

Thanks Endless. I'll definitely work on a time/clock overlay soonish. There are a few issues with wrapping text in the console that I'm still yet to fix.

Share this post


Link to post

Is there a way to make the game signal when you find a secret? I swear this is like the only qualm that I have concerning this port right now, everything else is fantastic and I'm getting really close to make this my choice port to play anything not GZDOOM related. The overall feel of this port is superb and I like the little touches here and there while keeping the game not too far away from vanilla.

 

Good work on this port!

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/19/2021 at 3:57 PM, PsychEyeball said:

Is there a way to make the game signal when you find a secret? I swear this is like the only qualm that I have concerning this port right now, everything else is fantastic and I'm getting really close to make this my choice port to play anything not GZDOOM related. The overall feel of this port is superb and I like the little touches here and there while keeping the game not too far away from vanilla.

 

Good work on this port!

Secret notifications will come eventually. They're kinda half supported at the moment: if you load a PWAD that includes a DSSECRET sound effect lump, you'll get notified when you find a secret.

Share this post


Link to post

Is it possible to preserve WASD movement in Vanilla mode in the future? IIRC older versions allowed it.

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, JimDoeson said:

Is it possible to preserve WASD movement in Vanilla mode in the future? IIRC older versions allowed it.

You can either edit the VANILLA lump in doomretro.wad, or create a file called wasd.cfg in your wad folder containing the following text:

 

bind 's' +back
bind 'w' +forward
bind 'a' +strafeleft
bind 'd' +straferight
 

...and then enter the following in the console:

 

exec wasd.cfg

Share this post


Link to post

hi Brad, just a quick question and a little feature request

 

1) is there any way to avoid changing the capslock status when setting the alwaysrun cvar?   

2) would it be possible to implement in DoomRetro a statusbar like the one in RussianDoom when the screen size is set to 11,12,14 or 15? 

 

 

Edited by Delfino Furioso

Share this post


Link to post

Hey Brad,  dunno if this is a mod issue or a DR issue but I just tried out AD_Mortem and some of the weapons are broken.  For instance, the pistol animates but it doesn't produce sound or inflict damage.  Same for some other guns.

 

Just thought I'd let you know, in case it's something to do with MBF21 compatibility. :)

Share this post


Link to post

I believe the mbf 21 is not implemented yet. Btw, is there any info abourmt when it is going to be added?

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Delfino Furioso said:

hi Brad, just a quick question and a little feature request

 

1) is there any way to avoid changing the capslock status when setting the alwaysrun cvar?   

2) would it be possible to implement in DoomRetro a statusbar like the one in RussianDoom when the screen size is set to 11,12,14 or 15? 

 

Hi! To answer your questions:

 

1) Yes, you can avoid this by binding the +alwaysrun action to another key. Open the console and enter bind '/'+alwaysrun for example.

2) To be honest, I much prefer leaving the HUD how it is now in widescreen, but I'll see what I can do.

 

13 hours ago, Average said:

Hey Brad,  dunno if this is a mod issue or a DR issue but I just tried out AD_Mortem and some of the weapons are broken.  For instance, the pistol animates but it doesn't produce sound or inflict damage.  Same for some other guns.

 

Just thought I'd let you know, in case it's something to do with MBF21 compatibility. :)

 

12 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

I believe the mbf 21 is not implemented yet. Btw, is there any info abourmt when it is going to be added?

 

Yeah, MBF21 isn't implemented yet. I plan on releasing a new build in the next few days and then start working on it for the next major release.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×