Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

Hey,

So I'm making .app bundles for Doom Retro now and it works nicely, with one problem.  Saving.

Spoiler

1022812679_Screenshot2021-11-21at0_17_53.png.2e83bc41cb2fb3d5e31147743bdafd0f.png

It never happened with the commandline version but when it is within a bundle, it tries to save it somewhere, instead of the regular path.

55 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Hey,

So I'm making .app bundles for Doom Retro now and it works nicely, with one problem.  Saving.

It never happened with the commandline version but when it is within a bundle, it tries to save it somewhere, instead of the regular path.

Hi Gibbon. I guess this is related to that issue you raised with paths on Github. In Windows it puts it in a savegames\ subfolder where the exe is, but the macOS seems to try putting it in ~/Library/Application Support/DOOM Retro which I'm guessing it shouldn't.

Hey Brad! Was playing 1000 Lines CP 3 and looks like there's a particular game breaking bug when playing with Doom Retro.

Memory_From_Earth_A.png

In MAP05, that light lamp right there is supposed to be a fire turret, it shoots fire balls at you but the sprites don't appear on Doom Retro. It also seems to break MAP30.

5 hours ago, Endless said:

Hey Brad! Was playing 1000 Lines CP 3 and looks like there's a particular game breaking bug when playing with Doom Retro.

In MAP05, that light lamp right there is supposed to be a fire turret, it shoots fire balls at you but the sprites don't appear on Doom Retro. It also seems to break MAP30.

Thanks @Endless! And all fixed! A change I made a few days ago fixes DeHackEd issues such as this. :)

Memory From Earth, A.png

Good morning (well, in Sydney at least)! I have just released v4.4 of DOOM Retro! This one has some important changes, including MBF21 support, significant DeHackEd fixes, and more... Please visit www.doomretro.com to download and view the release notes. Thank you to everyone for their support, and a shoutout to Sean Brennan for allowing me to use his amazing art on DOOM Retro's updated website.

In last DoomRetro 4.4 x64, in ChexQuest2, the sounds for weapons and monsters are from Doom, not from ChexQuest

Is it just me, or setting s_musicvolume to values above 98 results in no music being played when console is closed?

Also, is there a way to make the music volume not get lowered when opening the menu? I am used to how it worked in previous versions, where it did not lower

41 minutes ago, irukanjji said:

In last DoomRetro 4.4 x64, in ChexQuest2, the sounds for weapons and monsters are from Doom, not from ChexQuest

Quick question. Are you loading CHEX2.WAD after and "on top of" the base CHEX.WAD? Because CHEX2.WAD is an add-on and relies on sounds from the main CHEX.WAD to be present.

Just now, HackNeyed said:

Quick question. Are you loading CHEX2.WAD after and "on top of" the base CHEX.WAD? Because CHEX2.WAD is an add-on and relies on sounds from the main CHEX.WAD to be present.

No, i´m not , thanks for your answer, i tought chex2 are independent iwad

2 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

Is it just me, or setting s_musicvolume to values above 98 results in no music being played when console is closed?

Also, is there a way to make the music volume not get lowered when opening the menu? I am used to how it worked in previous versions, where it did not lower

Just double-checked this myself, and it appears to work fine. Is a MIDI playing at the time, or is it an Ogg/MP3 lump?

At this stage there is no way to stop the music from lowering in the menu, etc. (BTW this feature has been present since v3.5.5).

38 minutes ago, Blue Phoenix said:

Did a cursory MBF21 test and there is a lot less V/H spread for hitscan player weapons then DSDA Doom.

Thanks. I'll check it out. Did you test using Ad Mortem or...?

6 minutes ago, bradharding said:

Thanks. I'll check it out. Did you test using Ad Mortem or...?

I tested my own mod I'm working on.

DecoHack code:

A_WeaponBulletAttack (5.5,2.0,8)

In DSDA Doom this gives a spread similar to the vanilla SSG while in Doom retro the pellets are a lot more tightly packed.

18 minutes ago, Blue Phoenix said:

I tested my own mod I'm working on.

DecoHack code:

A_WeaponBulletAttack (5.5,2.0,8)

In DSDA Doom this gives a spread similar to the vanilla SSG while in Doom retro the pellets are a lot more tightly packed.

I think I may have fixed this. In v4.4, I allowed A_WeaponBulletAttack() to use a different random number generator than in vanilla DOOM. This will be corrected in the next version. Thanks again!

Can confirm that BTSX plays and looks great in Doom Retro.  I actually enjoy playing it with Doom4Vanilla.  It feels like the Doom 4 we never got. :)

Anyway, the real reason I'm posting is to ask Brad a question.  What is the point of the followmode CVAR in the cfg file?  A long time ago I asked if being able to set the Automap Follow Mode to off in the cfg was a possibility but you politely declined stating it didn't fit with your vision of what DR was.  So, years go by and I'm having a nosey at the cfg file and I noticed the "am_followmode on" entry.  "Oooh," I thought "Brad has succumbed to the Dark Side and has created a CVAR for that pesky setting."  I promptly set it to "off" but upon loading the game follow mode was still on and when I checked the cfg file again the setting had reverted.

So, long question, short - What's it for? :)

4 hours ago, Average said:

Can confirm that BTSX plays and looks great in Doom Retro.  I actually enjoy playing it with Doom4Vanilla.  It feels like the Doom 4 we never got. :)

Anyway, the real reason I'm posting is to ask Brad a question.  What is the point of the followmode CVAR in the cfg file?  A long time ago I asked if being able to set the Automap Follow Mode to off in the cfg was a possibility but you politely declined stating it didn't fit with your vision of what DR was.  So, years go by and I'm having a nosey at the cfg file and I noticed the "am_followmode on" entry.  "Oooh," I thought "Brad has succumbed to the Dark Side and has created a CVAR for that pesky setting."  I promptly set it to "off" but upon loading the game follow mode was still on and when I checked the cfg file again the setting had reverted.

So, long question, short - What's it for? :)

Yeah, the behavior of follow mode isn't going to change. :P It's CVAR is there just for completeness, really. It can still be used to toggle follow mode during a game. It'll just be reset at the start of each map.

If it's just going to reset at the start of each map, what part of having the CVAR makes it complete? Like having a cake covered in cute birthday candles, but the candles re-add themself to the cake every time you cut a new slice.

On 12/4/2021 at 3:03 PM, Average said:

It's the Doom trifecta. BTSX + Doom Retro + Doom4Vanilla. I play this a lot, it is a really excellent and complete package.

According to a wiki page dedicated to MBF21, one of its features is: 

Ability to disable Boom's pushing-monsters-off-ledges behavior

Is that implemented in Doom Retro in some form?

EDIT:
Today, while playing Intergalactic Xenology 2 I noticed that music volume is not matching the value of a music slider in options upon starting the game, and for the setting to apply, User has to either start the game, so a different music plays, or change the value of music volume in options menu. This may be caused by Virtual Midi Synth program I am using. This issue may be related to some changes made in v4.4, which made the Doom Retro the only port to has its music volume slider funtional while Virtual Midi Synth is running. Before this update, it worked just like any other port, where music volume could be set only in VMS settings, and not in the game itself.
Here is a video showing the issue. Note, that it is very loud!

Spoiler

Edited by NieMaMordy

I made a request to Brad a while ago and asked if he could update Doom Retro so that the in-game midi volume slider could be functional while using 3rd party programs like Virtual MIDI Synth, because I didn't know a way to reduce the midi volume ingame. Shame I didn't know there was a midi mixer inside VMS, heh.

Not trying to be annoying in any way, just want to point out that there's more Doom source ports that can adjust the midi volume while VMS is running, PRBoom+ 2.5.1.4/2.5.1.5 and GZDoom are some examples, so Doom Retro isn't the only source port capable of this.

Hope Brad can fix your bug though so the in-game midi slider will continue to work in newer versions, it's indeed handy to have it working with VMS. And we don't want any super-loud tracks do we. :) So I hope he can fix that too.

Edited by waverider

I see. To be honest, I got used to how it used to work. I find the new system very inconvinient, since I have to change the volume both via VMS and DR options, because I use VMS mixer for other apps. Would it be possible to add a cvar to bring back the older behavior, maybe? 

Why even use VMS and not just adjust volume per program?  I've never had to use such tools before

VMS allows you to use custom soundfonts. Without it, you'd be stuck witch the set of instruments used by windows, which is not my favourite.

All ports using midiproc cannot change VMS volume. Now, most of them (Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, Eternity Engine, Woof, Doom Retro, Russian Doom) have removed the midiproc in the developer/latest versions. You can simply set the maximum music volume in these ports and continue using the VMS mixer.

1 hour ago, rfomin said:

You can simply set the maximum music volume in these ports and continue using the VMS mixer.

That would be correct, but doom retro turns the volume down when the game is paused, making it difficult for me to set the volume via VMS correctly. In previous builds, which used midiproc, this was not a problem, since the music volume was unaffected by menus.

Thanks for the explanation @rfomin. @NieMaMordy, l'll implement a CVAR for the next build that allows toggling of the music volume effect when the menu is open.

16 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

Ability to disable Boom's pushing-monsters-off-ledges behavior

I may have overlooked this MBF21 feature. I'll look into it. Thanks.