Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

Hi!, I found a bug in Doom Retro this evening. Here are reproduction steps I managed to pinpoint:
1. Start Doom Retro either in fullscreen or in windowed mode
2. Start the game
3. Press escape to open the menu (this issue does not occur when the game is in paused state, or when it is not paused at all)
4. Alt+tab from the game
5. Focus on the Doom Retro's window again
6. Observe being unable to do anything in the menu, making the app softlocked

have you tried to pressing and releasing "alt" after switching back to Doom Retro window? sometimes after switching away the app thinks that "alt" is still pressed, and you can "unpress" it this way.

On 3/23/2022 at 12:20 PM, NieMaMordy said:

Hi!, I found a bug in Doom Retro this evening. Here are reproduction steps I managed to pinpoint:
1. Start Doom Retro either in fullscreen or in windowed mode
2. Start the game
3. Press escape to open the menu (this issue does not occur when the game is in paused state, or when it is not paused at all)
4. Alt+tab from the game
5. Focus on the Doom Retro's window again
6. Observe being unable to do anything in the menu, making the app softlocked

Thanks @NieMaMordy, I've noticed this too. I'll work on it for the next release.

Hey Brad! Was wondering if it's still possible to add a time counter to Doom Retro, to see how much time has passed in a level/map. Could be added alongside the map stats.

Something like this to illustrate what I'm saying:

Screenshot_Doom_20220401_200913.png

Also, this one is pretty much just wishful thinking but... is there any future plans for Heretic support? It would be the greatest thing ever as a fellow Heretic appreciator. Seriously. Think about it... 👀

Best of wishes anyway! <3

3 hours ago, Endless said:

Hey Brad! Was wondering if it's still possible to add a time counter to Doom Retro, to see how much time has passed in a level/map. Could be added alongside the map stats.

Also, this one is pretty much just wishful thinking but... is there any future plans for Heretic support? It would be the greatest thing ever as a fellow Heretic appreciator. Seriously. Think about it... 👀

Best of wishes anyway! <3

I've been thinking about this, and it has been suggested before. I might consider including them when enabling the am_playerstats CVAR. Or have separate CVARs for each, along with a clock CVAR for good measure.

As for Heretic support, as soon as I run out of things to do with Doom, I'll start on Heretic support. Maybe I'll work on it for v10.0. :P

Hi @bradharding. I am glad to the extreme to see Doom Retro very much alive and kicking, and am writing this to share some feedback - this time it is around UMAPINFO support. Appreciate this may have been posted above and that UMAPINFO support is partial, the "TC" I have has some issues when being run with DoomRetro and I am extremely keen to play it with your source port.

1. For next and secretnext the format reference states "mapname" should be used, whereas in Retro map number is expected (assuming its EM for Doom 1 and M for Doom 2), which is rather confusing

2. In case when FLOOR4_8 is a PNG, not defining an interbackdrop for a map with intertext crashes Retro at the moment without any clear error indication (for comparison, specifying a nonexistant flat shows a "Not found" error message)

3. In case when interbackdrop is set to "INTERPIC" and ther's no INTERPIC lump in the pwad, Retro crashes without a meaningful error message

Hey brad! Another random request. Was wondering if it could be possible to have a cvar that allows the option to spot keys on the automap? I tend to play a lot of 90s WADs, which tend to be cryptic to navigate, so this would help quite a lot! :D

My port shows the keys on the automap when the 'k' key is held down. This allows the keys to flash when the cheat button is mashed helping to be able to see them.

8 hours ago, Endless said:

Hey brad! Another random request. Was wondering if it could be possible to have a cvar that allows the option to spot keys on the automap? I tend to play a lot of 90s WADs, which tend to be cryptic to navigate, so this would help quite a lot! :D

Hi! Just like I have am_[red/blue/yellow]doorcolor CVARs, I could have am_[red/blue/yellow]keycolor CVARs as well. They would all be 112 (am_thingcolor) by default though. Adding it to the list. :)

Hi Brad. Been playing Valiant MAP26 noticed that Cybruisers blocking my way if I try to approach them (almost impossible to maneuver in red key area), it seems their width unchanged from Spider Mastermind.

3 hours ago, Melter said:

Hi Brad. Been playing Valiant MAP26 noticed that Cybruisers blocking my way if I try to approach them (almost impossible to maneuver in red key area), it seems their width unchanged from Spider Mastermind.

Thanks @Melter! And I believe I may have just found the problem...

BTW @EndlessDone! 😁

Bug: if you have DR running windowed, the "vid_windowpos centered" will move the window to 0,0. It will move to the center only after you press alt+enter twice.

Another bug: the top line or two of the console is cut off. The attached screenshot was taken as far up as it'll go.

image.png.4d0c31ebcc81b291c28ab45d9abdf273.png

Also changing vid_borderlesswindow can lead to a crash sometimes. I can't really reproduce it though.

5 hours ago, ZigfriedYoshimitsu said:

Bug: if you have DR running windowed, the "vid_windowpos centered" will move the window to 0,0. It will move to the center only after you press alt+enter twice.

Another bug: the top line or two of the console is cut off. The attached screenshot was taken as far up as it'll go.

Also changing vid_borderlesswindow can lead to a crash sometimes. I can't really reproduce it though.

Thanks for the report. I'll look into each of these issues.

Hi, I've got a bug report with MBF21 stuff.

I've made a custom dehacked monster for my map, which uses A_AddFlags and A_RemoveFlags to change SHADOW and SHOOTABLE bits, making and arch-vile that is only visible and damageable during resurrection animation. During chase loop, it is supposed to be invisible (spectre-blurred) and invulnerable.

On Doom Retro, flipping the SHOOTABLE flag works correctly, but flipping SHADOW doesn't - the monster remains permanently invisible.

Also attaching minimal replication scenario map with 1 custom vile and zombiemen to kill/res. Correct behaviour can be observed on dsda-doom, Woof, Odamex, DelphiDoom.

MAP01.zip

5 hours ago, Doomy__Doom said:

Hi, I've got a bug report with MBF21 stuff.

I've made a custom dehacked monster for my map, which uses A_AddFlags and A_RemoveFlags to change SHADOW and SHOOTABLE bits, making and arch-vile that is only visible and damageable during resurrection animation. During chase loop, it is supposed to be invisible (spectre-blurred) and invulnerable.

On Doom Retro, flipping the SHOOTABLE flag works correctly, but flipping SHADOW doesn't - the monster remains permanently invisible.

Also attaching minimal replication scenario map with 1 custom vile and zombiemen to kill/res. Correct behaviour can be observed on dsda-doom, Woof, Odamex, DelphiDoom.

MAP01.zip

Thanks @Doomy__Doom. I discovered A_AddFlags and A_RemoveFlags weren't working a couple of weeks ago, and they are fixed ready for the upcoming release of Doom Retro v4.5 (which won't be too far away).

EDIT: Actually, using your minimal example it seems there's more work to be done...

EDIT 2: And fixed!

Edited by bradharding

Hey Brad! Been a long while now without any major updates, hope everything is going well for you and the source port :)

12 hours ago, Endless said:

Hey Brad! Been a long while now without any major updates, hope everything is going well for you and the source port :)

Everything's fine, @Endless! I've been working on v4.5 solidly for the last 2 months, and it won't be long away before it's released. (It's a big one.)

By any chance, will the next version fix the Cyberdemon and Mastermind's sounds playing at full volume regardless of their distance? It can get really uncomfortable in maps which feature multiple Cyberdemons/Masterminds.

2 minutes ago, Gabe29 said:

will the next version fix the Cyberdemon and Mastermind's sounds playing at full volume

This cannot be "fixed", only "changed", because it's not a bug but a very intentional, entirely deliberate feature of the game engine. Code like this is no accident or oversight:

if (actor->type==MT_SPIDER
	    || actor->type == MT_CYBORG)
	{
	    // full volume
	    S_StartSound (NULL, sound);
	}
	else
	    S_StartSound (actor, sound);
    }

12 minutes ago, Gez said:

This cannot be "fixed", only "changed", because it's not a bug but a very intentional, entirely deliberate feature of the game engine.

Oh I am aware of that. Should've put fix in quotation marks, my bad. :p

I love how Brad kept it actually.  Too many things people see as ‘bugs’ but are actually features.  Especially on maps where it forces you to shoot a switch at the start and you hear that cybie or spidie make their sounds.  Without it, it just wouldn’t be right.

1 hour ago, MauryMyers said:

Is there an option in the console to remove the white effect on the circle?

2.png

There isn't, but I see the problem. The weapon is meant to be fullbright when fired but not like that. I'll look into it.

@Gabe29: I also hope for a fix/change for this, having the cyber and mastermind sounds always at 100% regardless of distance can be painful to listen to for a prolonged time imo. Other ports fix this by having the cyber/SM make one sound at map startup but then the sound goes silent. Would be real nice for a similar change to appear in Doom Retro. :)

I found a problem when using two mods, the weapon switching speed of the minigun becomes slow when switching out of the chaingun, the problem appears to be the Sprite Fix dehacked file, this only occurs when using vsmooth.wad with D2DEHFIX.DEH.

I tested in Crispy and Woof and the problem does not happen.

Vanilla Doom Smooth Weapons
Doom 2 Minor Sprite Fixing Project

Edit: I also notice this problem in SIGIL
https://imgbox.com/ty2Gvz1W
https://imgbox.com/FYezCjGT

Edited by MauryMyers

Good morning* everyone! (*Well, it's morning in Sydney.) Today finally sees the upload of v4.5 of DOOM Retro! This is a major release, and offers a considerable amount of bug fixes, optimizations and new features. Thank you to everyone who has taken their time to offer their support! Please visit www.doomretro.com to download and view the long list of changes.

3 minutes ago, bradharding said:

Good morning* everyone! (*Well, it's morning in Sydney.) Today finally sees the upload of v4.5 of DOOM Retro! This is a major release, and offers a considerable amount of bug fixes, optimizations and new features. Thank you to everyone who has taken their time to offer their support! Please visit www.doomretro.com to download and view the long list of changes.

Fucking awesome! Happy to see the new update finally out :)

1 hour ago, bradharding said:

Nice, congrats on the release. Time to compile :-)