Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

This port alters some of the state and object properties, but it seems that I can't revert them with a dehacked patch. I wanted to remove transparency from the regular blood sprites (they look wrong with my tranmap) and make certain weapon frames NOT fullbright.

Also, is there a way to restore muzzle flash transparency on a modified weapon?

Da Werecat said:

This port alters some of the state and object properties, but it seems that I can't revert them with a dehacked patch. I wanted to remove transparency from the regular blood sprites (they look wrong with my tranmap) and make certain weapon frames NOT fullbright.

Also, is there a way to restore muzzle flash transparency on a modified weapon?

Just made a couple of changes that should help with these in the next build. Bits2 wasn't being processed in Dehacked patches (commit 58dd115) and I've extended the Frame block to allow "Translucent = 1" to restore translucency on a particular frame (commit 87297f4). Thanks.

Hey Brad. If I set my fullscreen resolution to anything other than "desktop" the game crashes on exit and doesn't reset my caps lock key to off (I have autorun on in the cfg).

Also, the won't remember my setting for am followmode. I open the cfg, set it to off but every time I load the game the cfg file is reset to on.

Other than that, good work as always. :)

PS: Another post, another suggestion. Would you consider adding tilt movement like Nash's qtilt.pk3 for GZDoom? I really like that effect (it adds 'weight' to ones movement) and I think it'll compliment the cam shakes that you've already added. If you can't find the mod or just want a quick demo of it in action just boot up Id's other classic, Quake and strafe about a bit. The qtilt mod does the same thing.

EDIT: I'm using DR 2.0.5 on Windows 7 PRo x64 and my desktop resolution is 1920x1080 on a GTX780 video card(updated drivers).

Average said:

Hey Brad. If I set my fullscreen resolution to anything other than "desktop" the game crashes on exit and doesn't reset my caps lock key to off (I have autorun on in the cfg).

Also, the won't remember my setting for am followmode. I open the cfg, set it to off but every time I load the game the cfg file is reset to on.

Other than that, good work as always. :)

PS: Another post, another suggestion. Would you consider adding tilt movement like Nash's qtilt.pk3 for GZDoom? I really like that effect (it adds 'weight' to ones movement) and I think it'll compliment the cam shakes that you've already added. If you can't find the mod or just want a quick demo of it in action just boot up Id's other classic, Quake and strafe about a bit. The qtilt mod does the same thing.

EDIT: I'm using DR 2.0.5 on Windows 7 PRo x64 and my desktop resolution is 1920x1080 on a GTX780 video card(updated drivers).

Thanks. I'll check out the resolution crash. As for am_followmode, it is deliberately reset to on, since that's how it should be at the start of each map anyway. Perhaps I should remove it from the cfg file to avoid confusion. I've actually experimented with the tilt idea before, but couldn't get it quite right. I may revisit it at some stage. :)

EDIT: Could you please provide the crash data? I am unable to replicate the issue on my machine.

Flesh420 said:

Is there a command to turn on fast monsters?

You can start Doom Retro with the -fast commandline option. I don't think you can enable it while in a map.

Brad the latest stable from the website crashes on MUS files. At least it crashes when loading MAP01 of 1994 Tune Up project.

But a current build that I compiled didn't crash. So maybe you should push another version out?

VGA said:

Brad the latest stable from the website crashes on MUS files. At least it crashes when loading MAP01 of 1994 Tune Up project.

But a current build that I compiled didn't crash. So maybe you should push another version out?

Thanks. This was fixed in this commit. I'll wait on releasing another version though.

Perilous Pear said:

Maybe I could. Know any good replacement for it?

Malwarebytes Antimalware. Or HitmanPro if you don't need realtime protection.

Perilous Pear said:

Avast identifies the .exe as malware. Darn it, I wanted to give this a go. :(

You could always add it to Avast's list of exemptions.

Hi,
I'd like to compile latest DOOM Retro on GNU Linux (I'm using Bunsen Labs distro).

I cloned the git repository in my home directory, and installed also MAKE.
Now how can I proceed and what dependancies are needed?

Thank you very much.

Are you on a debian-based system? You'll get most of the dependencies by using

apt-get build-dep chocolate-doom
You'll need at least gcc, make, gnu autotools, pkg-config. SDL2, SDL2_mixer.

Jon said:

Are you on a debian-based system? You'll get most of the dependencies by using

apt-get build-dep chocolate-doom
You'll need at least gcc, make, gnu autotools, pkg-config. SDL2, SDL2_mixer.

Hi Jon and thank you very much for your answer!

EDIT: I've compiled successfully DOOM Retro v205 on Linux, but when I run it I get the following error:

./DOOMRETRO.WAD is the wrong version. Please reinstall DOOM Retro.

(I've taken the wad from the Windows download).
Any help?

Thanks!

antiriad said:

Hi Jon and thank you very much for your answer!

EDIT: I've compiled successfully DOOM Retro v205 on Linux, but when I run it I get the following error:

./DOOMRETRO.WAD is the wrong version. Please reinstall DOOM Retro.

(I've taken the wad from the Windows download).
Any help?

Thanks!

Use the doomretro.wad from the res\ folder in the repository here.

bradharding said:

Use the doomretro.wad from the res\ folder in the repository here.

Hi Brad and thank you very much for your patience.

I was able to compile and run correctly DOOM Retro on Linux (Bunsenlabs) under a Virtual Machine.

Unfortunately, today I compiled DOOM Retro on my real Linux PC and I'm facing a (last, I hope) small problem: player keeps turning to the left.

I'm not using a joystick, only keyboard and mouse, and they work perfectly. But it seems there is another "invisibile" input that keeps pressing "left" or something like this.

Any ideas?
Thanks

antiriad said:

Hi Brad and thank you very much for your patience.

I was able to compile and run correctly DOOM Retro on Linux (Bunsenlabs) under a Virtual Machine.

Unfortunately, today I compiled DOOM Retro on my real Linux PC and I'm facing a (last, I hope) small problem: player keeps turning to the left.

I'm not using a joystick, only keyboard and mouse, and they work perfectly. But it seems there is another "invisibile" input that keeps pressing "left" or something like this.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Glad you got it working. The turning to the left is a concern though. Could you please PM your doomretro.cfg, and confirm if you have a gamepad connected or not? Also, regardless if you do have a gamepad, can you set gp_sensitivity to 0 in doomretro.cfg and test? Thanks.

EDIT: Without the further info, I'm hoping the couple of commits I put through today will resolve this. Please download the source again and recompile.

antiriad said:

Are you using a Microsoft keyboard? They tend to get seen by Linux partly as joysticks, and that causes problems.

I've been solving it with a kernel patch, but this looks like the best way to deal with it now:

https://github.com/denilsonsa/udev-joystick-blacklist

dugan said:

Are you using a Microsoft keyboard? They tend to get seen by Linux partly as joysticks, and that causes problems.

I've been solving it with a kernel patch, but this looks like the best way to deal with it now:

https://github.com/denilsonsa/udev-joystick-blacklist

Indeed! Just realized that Microsoft Keyboard was the cause! Thank you.

bradharding said:

EDIT: Without the further info, I'm hoping the couple of commits I put through today will resolve this. Please download the source again and recompile.

Hi Brad, I'm sorry if I made you believe it was a DOOM Retro bug: it was a Microsoft Keyboard problem on Linux. So, DOOM Retro code is perfect!
I'll send you shortly a mail with compiling steps for the wiki.

Thank you all! I'm happy to enjoy DOOM Retro on Linux! :D

Da Werecat said:

I totally forgot. Is there a way to invert the mouse wheel? I much prefer how it worked prior to 2.0.

In the cfg
bind wheeldown +nextweapon
bind wheelup +prevweapon

Change them around fromm what they are now in your cfg.

I have a gun sprite with a gun flash on it. How do I make the flash semi-transparent?

VGA said:

I have a gun sprite with a gun flash on it. How do I make the flash semi-transparent?

Use "Translucent = 1" for the relevant frame.

bradharding said:

Use "Translucent = 1" for the relevant frame.

But won't that make the gun translucent as well?

I ended up cutting off the sprite, so I could make the flash frame translucent.