Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

dugan said:

The r_corpse options slow the beginning of Going Down level 20 (the part where you kill zillions of zillions of imps in a really small space) to a crawl.

Individually, none of them make a difference. It's when they're all turned on at once that the engine can't handle it.

Leaving everything on except r_corpse_smearblood does good results and good performance at that part.

It seems there are way too many blood splats. Short of reducing the amount of blood splats that are generated when corpses slide, I don't know how to optimize this further.

Linguica said:

Feature request: as mentioned in and around https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1661826, maybe Doom Retro should slightly edit Lost Soul behavior to actually show the Lost Soul attack animation when they are spawned out of a Pain Elemental.

Thanks for the suggestion. Should be easy enough to put in.

My Doom2.wad claims 'MAPINFO line 4: Bad syntax' and refuses to launch it but it will launch the other IWADs. What's going on here?

The sound of more than one crusher going at once just sounds *really* bad. This has consistently happened in every level in Going Down (which I'm playing through with Doom Retro 2.2.4) that featured more than one crusher at once.

Map 21, "Indigestion", has a section that demonstrates this quite nicely.

I should note that I'm playing on Linux. Does this happen on Windows?

Cyanosis said:

My Doom2.wad claims 'MAPINFO line 4: Bad syntax' and refuses to launch it but it will launch the other IWADs. What's going on here?

No idea. Has your DOOM2.WAD been edited? It shouldn't contain a MAPINFO lump. If you open it in Slade, is there one?

dugan said:

The sound of more than one crusher going at once just sounds *really* bad. This has consistently happened in every level in Going Down (which I'm playing through with Doom Retro 2.2.4) that featured more than one crusher at once.

Map 21, "Indigestion", has a section that demonstrates this quite nicely.

I should note that I'm playing on Linux. Does this happen on Windows?

Yeah, playing several of the same sound at once from sectors in close proximity causes the overall volume to increase and a bit of distortion. It's actually a Vanilla Doom thing I think.

bradharding said:

No idea. Has your DOOM2.WAD been edited? It shouldn't contain a MAPINFO lump. If you open it in Slade, is there one?

No such thing. My IWAD is 13.9 megs (14,263 KB) dated 2/1/1995.

Hoodie said:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bm19kcr4t3kvc/midimixer

Let me know if this link works.

Steps...
-Run CoolSoft_VituralMIDISynth.exe
-When done, Click the open configurator box.
-In the Soundfonts Tab, click the plus symbol and choose the Roland SC-55 file I added.
-In the MIDI Mapper tab, set windows media player default device to CoolSoft.
-Click Apply and all that.

Now open DoomRetro in windowed mode, and on your toolbar you should be able to access the midi mixer, I had to click on the arrow to see all active programs.

Hope this works for you cause if it doesn't, I don't know how to do it differently lol

Can someone please post this file: (Roland SC-55 61 MB by Patch93.sf2) somewhere other than Mediafire? Mediafire won't let me download that file. It just pops up a blank window that stays blank forever... I really hate Mediafire :(

Thanks in advance!

kb1 said:

Can someone please post this file: (Roland SC-55 61 MB by Patch93.sf2) somewhere other than Mediafire? Mediafire won't let me download that file. It just pops up a blank window that stays blank forever... I really hate Mediafire :(

Thanks in advance!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/59vbyllqgc2n6oy/AAA3oxeTcpsludOKjfe3isxPa/unofficial%20SC-55%20soundfonts?dl=0

On page 23 of this thread, VGA posted this link. Let me know if this one works. (Cause this is where I originally got my soundfont lol)

Cyanosis said:

No such thing. My IWAD is 13.9 megs (14,263 KB) dated 2/1/1995.

Someone else recently reported the same issue. Do you by any chance have NERVE.WAD in the same folder in DOOM2.WAD, and in NERVE.WAD is there a MAPINFO that starts:

episode MAS01
name "No Rest for the Living"

map MAS01 "the earth base"
(Note it says "MAS01" instead of "MAP01".)

I have NERVE and it says MAS, but it wasn't in the folder of Doom Retro (just GZDoom) I don't think? Does it seek it out as a requirement? Or does NERVE's MAS mess things up if its in the same folder as Doom Retro?

Cyanosis said:

I have NERVE and it says MAS, but it wasn't in the folder of Doom Retro (just GZDoom) I don't think? Does it seek it out as a requirement? Or does NERVE's MAS mess things up if its in the same folder as Doom Retro?

DR automatically loads NERVE.WAD if its in the same folder as DOOM2.WAD. It then would try parsing the MAPINFO lump in NERVE.WAD, encounter the "MAS01" in line 4 (ignoring line 1 since "episode" isn't supported [yet]), and exit with the error. Even without the MAPINFO lump, DR would fail to load the maps because of the non-standard map markers. I'll look into accommodating for this in the next version.

Map 23 of Going Down isn't finishable in Doom Retro. There's an issue with the scripting of the keys here:

https://youtu.be/DD4pR5orv_A?t=7m56s

In prboom-plus, that key gets teleported to another room when you approach it. In Doom Retro, it just gets teleported a little to the left. That breaks the scripting of the entire level.

dugan said:

Map 23 of Going Down isn't finishable in Doom Retro. There's an issue with the scripting of the keys here:

https://youtu.be/DD4pR5orv_A?t=7m56s

In prboom-plus, that key gets teleported to another room when you approach it. In Doom Retro, it just gets teleported a little to the left. That breaks the scripting of the entire level.

Huh. That's interesting. It shifts a bit in the direction of the teleport destination. Thanks for this, I'll look into it.

bradharding said:

Huh. That's interesting. It shifts a bit in the direction of the teleport destination. Thanks for this, I'll look into it.

It's caused by the fact that this particular key travels on a conveyor much faster than the others and it crosses the teleport line without triggering it. The problem was introduced when we reduced the radius of the pickup items some time ago. One fix may be to use the larger pickup radius when checking for lines being crossed. Or possibly there's a more elegant method that enures that very fast moving objects always trigger the line actions...

Denzoa said:

What about multiplayer?

I'm pretty sure this is a single-player-focused port.

I noticed an issue with custom palettes and translucency:

I assume you're using the fourth entry in the palette to determine translucency, since setting r_translucency to off seems to resolve the glitch (though shadows look too stark, doing that.)

I was wondering whether it be better to use a hard-coded value instead?

Urthar said:

I noticed an issue with custom palettes and translucency:

I assume you're using the fourth entry in the palette to determine translucency, since setting r_translucency to off seems to resolve the glitch (though shadows look too stark, doing that.)

I was wondering whether it be better to use a hard-coded value instead?

Thanks Urthar. The frames of the super shotgun are handled differently to the other weapons, and of course Ancient Aliens has its own palette which exposed a bug in DR. I've fixed it ready for next release.

I've run afoul of an amusing glitch regarding Boom DEHACKED behavior, specifically the Code Pointer "SpawnSound".

So I decided to turn the SS-Nazi into a Quake Shambler, and replaced the various DSBOS SFX with the appropriate Shambler noises. I replaced DSBOSCUB with the bio-electrical discharge SFX and used "SpawnSound" to play it during the ranged attack sequence, since the Shambler has a melee attack which uses the normal attack sound:

And that works fine in PrBoom+ and ZDoom, but in DOOM Retro when "SpawnSound" is called the player gets instantly telefragged, which is hilarious, but not really desirable.

Now, I don't know how fully you want to support Dehacked stuff, but I felt I should let you know about this.

It's a MBF-specific codepointer (same as all codepointers available in BEX but not vanilla DEHACKED). Does Doom Retro even support MBF?

EDIT: Sorry, as stated below, I've confused it with PlaySound.

You're thinking about PlaySound. SpawnSound is an IoS-related codepointer.

FWIW, PlaySound is present in Doom Retro WhackEd4 config.

[edit]

// travelling cube sound
void A_SpawnSound(mobj_t *mo)
{
  S_StartSound(mo,sfx_boscub);
  A_SpawnFly(mo);
}

void A_SpawnFly(mobj_t *mo)
{
  mobj_t *newmobj;  // killough 8/9/98
  int    r;
  mobjtype_t type;

mobj_t *fog;
  mobj_t *targ;

if (--mo->reactiontime)
    return;     // still flying

targ = mo->target;

// First spawn teleport fog.
  fog = P_SpawnMobj(targ->x, targ->y, targ->z, MT_SPAWNFIRE);

S_StartSound(fog, sfx_telept);

// Randomly select monster to spawn.
  r = P_Random(pr_spawnfly);

// Probability distribution (kind of :), decreasing likelihood.
  if ( r<50 )
    type = MT_TROOP;
  else if (r<90)
    type = MT_SERGEANT;
  else if (r<120)
    type = MT_SHADOWS;
  else if (r<130)
    type = MT_PAIN;
  else if (r<160)
    type = MT_HEAD;
  else if (r<162)
    type = MT_VILE;
  else if (r<172)
    type = MT_UNDEAD;
  else if (r<192)
    type = MT_BABY;
  else if (r<222)
    type = MT_FATSO;
  else if (r<246)
    type = MT_KNIGHT;
  else
    type = MT_BRUISER;

newmobj = P_SpawnMobj(targ->x, targ->y, targ->z, type);

// killough 7/18/98: brain friendliness is transferred
  newmobj->flags = (newmobj->flags & ~MF_FRIEND) | (mo->flags & MF_FRIEND);

// killough 8/29/98: add to appropriate thread
  P_UpdateThinker(&newmobj->thinker);

if (P_LookForTargets(newmobj,true))      // killough 9/4/98
    P_SetMobjState(newmobj, newmobj->info->seestate);

// telefrag anything in this spot
  P_TeleportMove(newmobj, newmobj->x, newmobj->y, true); // killough 8/9/98

// remove self (i.e., cube).
  P_RemoveMobj(mo);
}
Welp. I don't think it's a good idea to use SpawnSound simply to play a sound.

Yeah I'm just fumbling along finding my way at the moment. I'll have a look at PlaySound MBF stuff.

scifista42 said:

It's a MBF-specific codepointer (same as all codepointers available in BEX but not vanilla DEHACKED). Does Doom Retro even support MBF?

It supports MBF and some more on top of that. Check my signature :D

Unforunately it's a bug which I introduced into Doom Retro.
Brad copied my code that fixes the spawncube East/West problem.
Sadly, my new code for A_SpawnFly cannot cope with being called when not used for a genuine flying cube. I fixed (aka bodged) my version some time ago (here https://github.com/jeffdoggett/Doom/commit/b688f5bab7f97a895b323fbee7c6bf207a6aab7e ), but Brad didn't copy the mod across as he possibly didn't realise the significance.

jeff-d said:

Unforunately it's a bug which I introduced into Doom Retro.
Brad copied my code that fixes the spawncube East/West problem.
Sadly, my new code for A_SpawnFly cannot cope with being called when not used for a genuine flying cube. I fixed (aka bodged) my version some time ago (here https://github.com/jeffdoggett/Doom/commit/b688f5bab7f97a895b323fbee7c6bf207a6aab7e ), but Brad didn't copy the mod across as he possibly didn't realise the significance.

But I do now! :) Thanks Jeff, I'll apply the fix...

BTW, while we're at Dehacked bugs, recently I discovered something.

Try that kind of patch in Crispy Doom, then in Doom Retro.
(I recommend e2m1 for testing :] )

Anyway, in DR, the exploding candle becomes a dying and screaming space marine.