Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

12 hours ago, bradharding said:

Version 3.5.4 of DOOM Retro is now available! Please visit www.doomretro.com to download. Here's a list of changes:

• Optimizations have been made to further improve the overall performance and stability of DOOM Retro.
  • Improvements have been made to the support of Chex Quest.
  • A bug has been fixed whereby the wrong map name would be displayed on the intermission screen in some instances.
  • A brightmap is now applied to the SLADRIP2 texture when the r_brightmaps CVAR is on.

Thanks a lot. Your sourceport is by far my favorite, keep up your lovelywork.

Found this peculiar, idk if this is the port or the sprite fix wad (minor sprite fixing project) but the right barrel here has a cool fullbright glow and the other does not. @Revenant100

Wolfenstein.png

Checking MAP31 in Doom Builder, this is because on the right there are actually 2 barrels spawned on top of each other. (I'll implement a little compatibility fix to remove one of them.)

27 minutes ago, bradharding said:

Checking MAP31 in Doom Builder, this is because on the right there are actually 2 barrels spawned on top of each other. (I'll implement a little compatibility fix to remove one of them.)

We learn more and more every day about this damn game...

I should probably note that there is a rendering issue here.
561202092_Nirvana(1).png.42c9d97e62f049cf0c193c7dfaf7e109.png

Also these chaingunners are still "blind" / deaf, figured that'd be useful for the map fix cvar.

Catacombs, The.png

E: Is it within your interests to fix map related errors like badly tagged items such as this useless secret on UV?

Bloodfalls.png

Edited by Lila Feuer

@bradharding

First screen: MAP21: Nirvana of Doom II
Second screen: MAP22: Catacombs of Doom II
Third screen: MAP25: Bloodfalls of Doom II

Thank you for the awesome port.

@maxmanium Yeah you can view it from where I'm standing but if you go to the left of the area it will disappear. I wonder how long it's been there and I just haven't noticed because I never go backwards?

So this must mean there needs to be a placeholder texture in DR for maps that have missing texture errors?

If someone runs zennode with max settings on a (copy of) an IWAD, won't that get rid of most slime trails?

Hi! I've checked each of the three issues out:
The visual glitch in MAP21 is caused by an open sector, so it's not something that can be fixed.
As for MAP22, the wiki explains: "The four heavy weapon dudes immediately behind the red door are blind. They will not see the player character if he opens the door, unless he hurts them or goes past the doorway. This is due to a bug in id Software's REJECT map builder which fails to account for certain door constructs.."
And MAP25: I'm not sure I want to make a change to the secret count that is inconsistent across skill levels.

Ah yeah, I guess it is an open sector in MAP21.. wow I never noticed it either until Lila pointed it out.

it shows up in original Doom2.exe as well as Chocolate-doom and old Zdoom versions also.

I wonder how Gzdoom remedied that? in its Doom software render setting, I'm guessing it's not a real software render?

13 hours ago, VGA said:

If someone runs zennode with max settings on a (copy of) an IWAD, won't that get rid of most slime trails?

Does that solve the floating point issue that causes them somehow? I thought it was something inherent in the source code that couldn't be easily fixed.

31 minutes ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

Does that solve the floating point issue that causes them somehow? I thought it was something inherent in the source code that couldn't be easily fixed.

No, the engine issue remains but zennode attempts to minimise slime trails. Also, it would fix REJECT issues if you recreate them with zennode.

Hi, check this out. So we've got this: D*.wad is a resource file that has a demo map in it. m*.wad is a map that requires D*.wad. 

If you use the launcher and ctrl-click both files, you can enter ONLY the D*.wad map, but both maps will be in the console maplist (see screenshot).

If you -file both files, then the map01 will normally be of the wad that was loaded last, but both maps will still be in the console maplist.

Also have you considered adding wildcard support in file loading?

doomretro.png

You can use wildcards and a for loop in a batch file to automate loading all wads in a folder.

On dimanche 5 avril 2020 at 5:00 PM, Mr.Rocket said:

I wonder how Gzdoom remedied that?

There's a post-processing step where little level bugs like this are fixed. This is where the magic happens. I figure this can be useful as a reference for other port authors, since it's in effect a data base of levels with map errors in them: in most cases it's not errors specific to ZDoom.

On 4/7/2020 at 7:41 AM, DemonExterminator said:

Hi, check this out. So we've got this: D*.wad is a resource file that has a demo map in it. m*.wad is a map that requires D*.wad. 

If you use the launcher and ctrl-click both files, you can enter ONLY the D*.wad map, but both maps will be in the console maplist (see screenshot).

If you -file both files, then the map01 will normally be of the wad that was loaded last, but both maps will still be in the console maplist.

Also have you considered adding wildcard support in file loading?

doomretro.png

Thanks. I'll certainly fix this. As for wildcard support, I'm guessing you mean D*.wad will load all wads starting with D, or the first one it finds? At the moment, if you mistype something in the launcher, it'll look for the best match, but that's it.

EDIT: Judging by the font used in the maplist header, you might want to download the latest version of DR! ;)

10 hours ago, Gez said:

There's a post-processing step where little level bugs like this are fixed. This is where the magic happens. I figure this can be useful as a reference for other port authors, since it's in effect a data base of levels with map errors in them: in most cases it's not errors specific to ZDoom.

Thanks Gez. DR has a lot of these already (for the IWADs at least), but I'll look through this for more fixes.

Edited by bradharding

Hi, I really like this port graphical improvements. However, on Arch Linux and on Manjaro I get no music with it. Sounds work fine besides that. I'm compiling from AUR. Any tips?

Version 3.5.5 of DOOM Retro is now available! Please visit www.doomretro.com to download. Here's a list of changes:

• Optimizations have been made to further improve the overall performance and stability of DOOM Retro.
  • Minor changes have been made to text that is output to the console.
  • The music volume is now lower while either the menu or console is open.
  • The following changes have been made to the menu's background:
    • The random noise is now slightly slower.
    • Liquid sectors now still animate in the background when the menu is open.
  • The following changes have been made to the widescreen HUD:
    • Health, armor and ammo now flash gold rather than white when they change.
    • Keycards and skull keys that the player picks up are now slightly higher.
  • Brightmaps are no longer applied to the SLADRIP1, SLADRIP2 and SLADRIP3 textures when the r_brightmaps CVAR is on.
  • The timer displayed by the timer CCMD will now be positioned lower if the vid_showfps CVAR is on.
  • More fixes have been applied to certain maps in the official DOOM and DOOM II WADs when the r_fixmaperrors CVAR is on.
  • The mapstats CCMD now displays the release date for maps in the official DOOM and DOOM II WADs.
  • The translucency of item and teleport fogs is no longer additive when the r_translucency CVAR is on.
  • Due to a change in the latest patch of the Bethesda.net Launcher version of DOOM II, MAP04 to MAP08 in No Rest For The Living now use the SKY3 texture as their skies.

Stay safe Doomers!

1 hour ago, maxmanium said:

Brad, does Doom Retro officially support Freedoom?

Yes. (Obituaries in the console will still show Doom monster names though.)

4 hours ago, MrDowntempo said:

How is the alt-hud experiment coming? I was hoping to see a new one in 3.5.5

For the moment, it's not. It wasn't looking as good as I had hoped so I've put it aside for now to focus on other things.

I was also looking forward to that alternate HUD you had in the works. Hope you can find a feasible solution for it sometime in the future.

That aside, I've encountered an odd error when playing Doom 2 Reloaded and TNT: Revilution where on MAP32 it doesn't play D_ULTIMA but the wad's intermission music. Not sure how many other megawads have this same issue.

Another error which I can't figure out is a DeHackEd chandelier thing which spawns on the ceiling, it looks fine in PrBoom+ and ZDoom but in DOOM Retro for some reason these chandeliers clip into the ceiling here:

eMy3Edk.png

For reference, here is how it looks in the actual lump:

jPRReDo.png

If you need any more specifics about this let me know.

It's something I've been working on lately for a friend; I can send it to you shortly with the resource. It may also have something to do with the sprite's alignment, which I'll look into further.