Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

Is random music not entirely random? It plays the tracks out of order of course but it seems to operate like a playlist that goes in the same order every time. So if you play a couple levels and then quit and come back later you'll hear the same two songs again on the next two levels.

7 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Is random music not entirely random? It plays the tracks out of order of course but it seems to operate like a playlist that goes in the same order every time. So if you play a couple levels and then quit and come back later you'll hear the same two songs again on the next two levels.

It should be completely random, so I'll look into it. Thanks.

EDIT: And... fixed! 😁

Edited by bradharding

I have found Doom Retro a insanely pleasant way to play oldschool DOOM 😁. But, is there any way to stretch horizontally the screen size like in Delta Touch?

6 hours ago, Moktar said:

I have found Doom Retro a insanely pleasant way to play oldschool DOOM 😁. But, is there any way to stretch horizontally the screen size like in Delta Touch?

No there isn't. When in widescreen mode, DOOM Retro retains a 16:10 aspect ratio. I do plan to implement true widescreen at some point in the future though.

I'm curious, will automap statistics be added in the future (Kills, Items, Secrets, and Time)? An issue on GitHub has been up for two years so I am wondering if it's still being considered (unless I somehow missed a console variable to change). That said, great to see all the support and changes to making Doom Retro stable and stand out in many nice ways! Also nice to see true widescreen being planned too for those who would like to see it.

27 minutes ago, Erick said:

I'm curious, will automap statistics be added in the future (Kills, Items, Secrets, and Time)? An issue on GitHub has been up for two years so I am wondering if it's still being considered (unless I somehow missed a console variable to change). That said, great to see all the support and changes to making Doom Retro stable and stand out in many nice ways! Also nice to see true widescreen being planned too for those who would like to see it.

Seeing as automap statistics was added to the new official port of classic Doom and done uniquely with its cute little icons I see no reason why Doom Retro shouldn't. Though, if I recall, Brad didn't want them for simply personal reasons regarding the goals of the port.

1 hour ago, Lila Feuer said:

Crushed Cacodemon corpse is red instead of blue.

Shouldn't it be purple?

49 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

Seeing as automap statistics was added to the new official port of classic Doom and done uniquely with its cute little icons I see no reason why Doom Retro shouldn't. Though, if I recall, Brad didn't want them for simply personal reasons regarding the goals of the port.

Although I'm not a fan of this new Unity port, it is official, so yes, automap stats are now more likely to pique my interest. We'll see... ;)

1 hour ago, Lila Feuer said:

Crushed Cacodemon corpse is red instead of blue.

Thanks. Crushed hell nobles will need to be accommodated for as well...

I just finished playing TNT: Revilution again, and when I completed MAP30, I saw the title of MAP31 appear before going to the last intermission message and credits sequence.

I also got a very strange visual error for MAP28's title where it appeared really stretched out:

fQsAwGj.png

1 hour ago, valkiriforce said:

I just finished playing TNT: Revilution again, and when I completed MAP30, I saw the title of MAP31 appear before going to the last intermission message and credits sequence.

I also got a very strange visual error for MAP28's title where it appeared really stretched out:

Lol, they just really want you to know that you're going across the blood sea...

4 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

...I also got a very strange visual error for MAP28's title where it appeared really stretched out:

Um, consider this a feature? 😬

Alright, I'll fix it. Thanks!

19 minutes ago, bradharding said:

Um, consider this a feature? 😬

Alright, I'll fix it. Thanks!

What caused that to happen?

1 hour ago, maxmanium said:

What caused that to happen?

Drop shadows are applied these patches, except when they are 320x200 in size (because the shadow would then be drawn off the screen). The check for this was wrong, and because this particular patch is 320px wide, it was trying to draw it at 320x200.

Hey Brad, I was testing my DEHACKED changes in Doom Retro, and it looks like the super shotgun flash frames are off-center. I think I brought something like this up a while back, so here it is again. I haven't set any offsets for those two frames, only corrected the timing.

Also, Doom Retro doesn't seem to parse the God Mode Health change in my patch (200%), though this is minor.

1502132163_IconOfSin.png.6312bd2135555d9ff4eab6f3d2eaa9bb.png

1 hour ago, maxmanium said:

Hey Brad, I was testing my DEHACKED changes in Doom Retro, and it looks like the super shotgun flash frames are off-center. I think I brought something like this up a while back, so here it is again. I haven't set any offsets for those two frames, only corrected the timing.

Also, Doom Retro doesn't seem to parse the God Mode Health change in my patch (200%), though this is minor.

Thanks. I'll check both issues out.

xgt9Cun.png

The scrolling faces in these alcoves on MAP05: Ghost Town for Plutonia are moving at unbelievable speeds, I don't think that's normal?

@SiFi270 That's hilarious, I guess I never noticed all these years. You'd think I would've but it's always the little details that often go unnoticed.

Hi! I've just downloaded DR 3.5.5 and I've noticed that, if your screenshot key is bound to a letter, when you're in the console typing something containing that letter, a screenshot will be taken when you press it. (I have screenshot bound to X, so when i type e.g. "map next", it takes a screenshot)

One little feature request...

can you please make "resurrect" and "kill" implicitly affect the player when there are no arguments specified?

And a small question:

how does the order of file loading work when using the built in launcher? It seems that, no matter in what order I ctrl-click the WADs, the loading order remains the same (apparent in the console as well). 

Keep up the great work!!!

7 hours ago, DemonExterminator said:

Hi! I've just downloaded DR 3.5.5 and I've noticed that, if your screenshot key is bound to a letter, when you're in the console typing something containing that letter, a screenshot will be taken when you press it. (I have screenshot bound to X, so when i type e.g. "map next", it takes a screenshot)

Thanks! I'll fix it so screenshots may only be taken outside of gameplay if still bound to printscreen.

One little feature request...

can you please make "resurrect" and "kill" implicitly affect the player when there are no arguments specified?

Kinda wanna keep it the way it is, to be consistent with other CCMDs that take extensive parameters. You can, however use kill/resurrect me as a shorter version of kill/resurrect player, use autocomplete with the tab key to make entry quicker, and you do stuff like bind 'x' "kill player" and alias rise "resurrect player".

And a small question:

how does the order of file loading work when using the built in launcher? It seems that, no matter in what order I ctrl-click the WADs, the loading order remains the same (apparent in the console as well). 

The WAD launcher uses a standard windows dialog. Unfortunately this means when you CTRL+click multiple files, they are always sorted alphabetically, regardless of how you select them. Once DR gets the list, it'll then sort into IWAD first, PWADs, .DEH/.BEX files, and autoload whatever's necessary/found. If order is important, best to use the command-line.

Version 3.5.6 of DOOM Retro is now available! Please visit www.doomretro.com to download. Here's a list of changes:

• Optimizations have been made to further improve the overall performance and stability of DOOM Retro.
  • Minor changes have been made to text that is output to the console.
  • The name of the PWAD is no longer displayed in the automap if the current map has no title.
  • Several improvements have been made to the support of Chex Quest, Freedoom: Phase 1 and Freedoom: Phase 2.
  • A bug has been fixed whereby the wrong music could be played in some rare instances.
  • The randomness of the music chosen when the s_randommusic CVAR is on has been improved.
  • A new license CCMD has been implemented that displays the GNU General Public License in the default browser.
  • A message is now displayed in the console whenever an item or monster respawns.
  • A new r_supersampling CVAR has been implemented that applies supersampling to the player’s view when the r_detail CVAR is low and the r_lowpixelsize CVAR is 2×2. This CVAR is on by default and off when vanilla mode is on.
  • Corpses can now trigger teleporter line specials.
  • When using the kill CCMD, the items dropped by monsters will no longer trigger teleporter line specials.
  • A bug has been fixed whereby some hanging decorations would be positioned incorrectly in some instances.
  • Those monsters that don’t have red blood will no longer leave gibs if crushed.
  • Blood will no longer be spawned while a monster is being crushed and the r_blood CVAR is none.
  • A bug has been fixed whereby certain power-ups wouldn’t stop moving once off the edge of a BOOM-compatible scrolling sector and the r_floatbob CVAR was on.
  • Improvements have been made to how gradual lighting is applied to doors and crushing ceilings when the r_graduallighting CVAR is on.
  • The STEP2 texture now appears correctly in MAP01: Entryway again.
  • Minor improvements have been made to the support of DEHACKED lumps.
  • The sky will now be rendered correctly when the r_screensize CVAR is less than 7.
  • Screenshots may now only be taken when not playing a game if the +screenshot action is still bound to the PRINTSCREEN key.

55 minutes ago, bradharding said:
  • Minor improvements have been made to the support of DEHACKED lumps.

I don't know if this meant to reference my post above, but there's still the same issue. :(

1 hour ago, bradharding said:

Version 3.5.6 of DOOM Retro is now available! Please visit www.doomretro.com to download. Here's a list of changes:

• Those monsters that don’t have red blood will no longer leave gibs if crushed.

So this monsters has no chance of being resurrected if and arch-vile is near?

34 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

I don't know if this meant to reference my post above, but there's still the same issue. :(

The God Mode Health thing should be fixed, but not the other yet.

13 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

So this monsters has no chance of being resurrected if and arch-vile is near?

Oh. Didn't consider that.

14 minutes ago, bradharding said:

Oh. Didn't consider that.

Caco gibs are right being red, after all, they are red outside. And barons gibs, always showed a smashed potato mix of green and red and thats totally cool.

Edited by P41R47

10 minutes ago, bradharding said:

The God Mode Health thing should be fixed, but not the other yet.

I forgot about it when I posted, but I should mention that, although the timing is all that's different about the firing frames, I did change the duration of several frames of the SSG (to get a different animation) so it's possible that has something to do with it.

17 hours ago, bradharding said:

• A new r_supersampling CVAR has been implemented that applies supersampling to the player’s view when the r_detail CVAR is low and the r_lowpixelsize CVAR is 2×2. This CVAR is on by default and off when vanilla mode is on.

Hey, Brad, i think i never asked, but is there a cvar for vanilla mode? I couldn't find it in the .cfg

3 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Hey, Brad, i think i never asked, but is there a cvar for vanilla mode? I couldn't find it in the .cfg

Enter "vanilla" in the console. It's a command, not a cvar.