Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chungy

Chocolate Doom 2.0.0 Released

Celebrating the 20th anniversary of Doom, Chocolate Doom 2.0.0 is released to the wild, 5 years in development and now with support for Heretic, Hexen thanks to the GPLv2 re-licensing of their source code, and Strife support thanks to years of reverse engineering efforts from Kaiser (of Doom64 EX fame) and Quasar (of Eternity Engine fame). Download now :)

It's been a long time coming, and I'm glad this is finally done. There are plenty more things still to add to Chocolate Doom, but it's great to see Chocolate Heretic/Hexen/Strife out there and no longer beta.

I want to give some huge credit here to Quasar and Kaiser for their work on Chocolate Strife. Porting Heretic and Hexen was relatively simple but Chocolate Strife required some serious work to reverse engineer the original DOS binaries. It's an amazing achievement and took a lot of dedicated work. The result is an almost perfect, portable recreation of Strife that fits in perfectly with the rest of the Chocolate Doom project.

Nice to have this around. Is there a way to link Choco with iWADs that are not in the same folder as as the source port without having to use a .bat with the -iwad parameter? It would be nice to link them in an INI file for instance.

Can I ask why is the Mac version unified but the Windows release has separate downloads for each of the games? Just curious.

BlackFish: you can setup the DOOMWADPATH environment variable to point to one or more directories for your IWADs. It takes in the same format as your native OS's PATH environment variable.

Average said:

Can I ask why is the Mac version unified but the Windows release has separate downloads for each of the games? Just curious.

The different games are built as separate binaries (chocolate-doom, chocolate-heretic, chocolate-hexen, chocolate-strife). So when you download a Windows package you're just downloading the .exe for that one game. If you just want to play Heretic you might just want to download the chocolate-heretic .exe, for example.

With the Mac package, things are a bit different. Everything is bundled up as an installable app, with a minimalist frontend that lets you configure your IWADs and launch the game. Rather than have multiple downloads, I just bundled up everything in a single app. Behind the scenes there are still separate binaries for different games, but the launcher hides that detail and just runs the appropriate one for the game you've selected.

So the answer really is "technical details" but I just did what felt was right for the different platforms.

Very cool, even though chocolate is not my primary source port.
Is this getting Eterenity Engine any closer to Heretic/Hexen support?

ellmo said:

Very cool, even though chocolate is not my primary source port.
Is this getting Eterenity Engine any closer to Heretic/Hexen support?

I don't see why it would but, progress is being slowly made on that front. 3.40.50 will still aim to have complete Heretic support, but it looks like a couple interim releases may happen in the meantime.

3.40.47 or so will be aiming for release on the 15th. It should have an interesting surprise feature assuming everything works out.

Quasar said:

I don't see why it would but, progress is being slowly made on that front. 3.40.50 will still aim to have complete Heretic support, but it looks like a couple interim releases may happen in the meantime.

3.40.47 or so will be aiming for release on the 15th. It should have an interesting surprise feature assuming everything works out.

Hm, I thought I read somehwere that some of the solutions in EE are based on Chocolate's approach. I must've read that wrong or I just completely pulled that out of the blue.

That being said - thanks for the info!

Great news.

Any chances for heretic+ implementation? Or at least fixing that really awful bug (turning resolution in demorecording mode)?

And I no see -record cmd in chocolate-hexen at all. :(

pagb said:

Weird, FRAPS woks with Chocolate Doom 1.7.0, but not 2.0.0 :/

This is possibly because directx is no longer the default SDL_VIDEODRIVER on Windows, which caused issues for many users because of palette color modes. You should still be able to change video_driver in chocolate-doom.cfg to "directx" and use it with FRAPS again.

This is possibly because directx is no longer the default SDL_VIDEODRIVER on Windows, which caused issues for many users because of palette color modes. You should still be able to change video_driver in chocolate-doom.cfg to "directx" and use it with FRAPS again.

Will try, thanks!