Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MALON

[SOLVED!!] Recommended ports for multiplayer slaughtermaps?

I've tried playing SlaughterFest2011 as well as HolyHell.wad on Zandronum, but it consistently kicks a 2nd player due to "too many missing packets".

I know that holyhell.wad is ridiculously extreme and I don't really expect a source port to be able to ever do it. However, SlaughterFest2011 is more reasonable, but zandronum still fails on that one.

Are there any good multiplayer slaughtermap ports?

BTW, I'm playing LAN, not internet. It's not a bandwidth issue, it's a port issue.

Also, even though it's extreme, if someone does know a way to play holyhell.wad multiplayer style, please tell me!

Maybe just straight-up ZDoom?

It relies on client state entirely and has no concept of Client-vs-Server objects, so it might be more stable at the cost of ensuring game state consistency server-wise (which is unnecessary, if all random number generators are in sync and all clients know each other's current control state, which is what ZDoom relies on).

It's worth a shot, at least.

TimeOfDeath said:

You could try zdaemon. I remember Supergod and Zalewa posted a zdaemon coop demo on holy hell like 5 years ago.

Oh wow, okay. I will give it a shot! Thanks!

MTrop said:

Maybe just straight-up ZDoom?

It relies on client state entirely and has no concept of Client-vs-Server objects, so it might be more stable at the cost of ensuring game state consistency server-wise (which is unnecessary, if all random number generators are in sync and all clients know each other's current control state, which is what ZDoom relies on).

It's worth a shot, at least.

I've tried zdoom, I get the infamous "out of sync" error (which even happens on standard doom levels with no mods). Unfortunately, I dont think zdoom is very good for MP.

If your wads are doom or boom compatible you can also try odamex, although it does not support survival

DoomLegacy will handle 32 network players, and 1.44 alpha 4 will handle large numbers of sprites with each player having individual sprite limit settings.
I have not tested this in network play.

Chillax is pretty common on Zandronum, but I think it's too extreme for what you're looking for.

So I've tried ZDaemon - it does not allow puking a script in multiplayer from the console (which is required for a mod i made). I get an error "puke is only allowed in SP mode"

I tried odamex. It does allow puking, but does not puke correctly. It just says "script not found". However, if I load that exame same wad in zdoom or zandronum, it pukes correctly. BTW, I'm trying to "puke 921", which is within the limits of ACS.

DoomLegacy.exe 1.44_alpha_4 won't even run.

Uhh, I use puke on my ZDaemon servers all the time for making emergency teleports, spawning weapons if there are none on the map, etc. Of course you need admin rights for that. Do you know about RCON? You set a rcon password when you create your server, then you write "rcon_password blablabla" in console and then stuff like "rcon puke 789" should work.

Memfis said:

Uhh, I use puke on my ZDaemon servers all the time for making emergency teleports, spawning weapons if there are none on the map, etc. Of course you need admin rights for that. Do you know about RCON? You set a rcon password when you create your server, then you write "rcon_password blablabla" in console and then stuff like "rcon puke 789" should work.

How do I make it so everyone can puke? (lol) Basically it's a net script that anyone should be allowed to activate.

In zdoom/zandronum, all you have to do is add the "net" keyword and it's accessible by anyone in MP.

MALON said:

I've tried zdoom, I get the infamous "out of sync" error (which even happens on standard doom levels with no mods). Unfortunately, I dont think zdoom is very good for MP.

I'm not sure if this information is entirely factual. If you are getting consistency issues on standard Doom games, you have setup something horribly wrong. As per usual, make sure all players are using the same version of ZDoom, and always keep up to date with the dev-builds (especially since the latest dev-build fixes an RNG issue with cl_bloodtype).

Edward850 said:

Alright, I'll be honest. I have not tried zdoom within the past several months. But about 3-4 months ago, I tried it without success. Prior to that, I've tried zdoom multiplayer every year or so for the past 5 years (I promise I'm not exaggerating) and I even posted threads on the zdoom forums about it, and the response I got was "multiplayer is not the focus of zdoom and we have no intention of fixing it. That's what other ports such as zdaemon are for".

Needless to say, I was pretty dejected but accepted the fact. I guess I figured it would never be fixed. It would desync VERY fast, within 30 seconds if the map had lots of monsters. It would desync about once every 3 levels playing vanilla doom 2. (using svn builds)

I am going to try right now with svn builds on wired lan. Will post back with results.

MALON said:

How do I make it so everyone can puke? (lol) Basically it's a net script that anyone should be allowed to activate.

In zdoom/zandronum, all you have to do is add the "net" keyword and it's accessible by anyone in MP.

Like I said: all players write "rcon_password blablabla" in console, then "rcon puke 789".

MALON said:

Posting back with latest zdoom results.

Upon starting holyhell.wad, the first thing it says is "out of sync with 2"

So yeah, the issue is still present. :\

How exactly are you starting the game? What is the launch commands for each player? And are you autoloading anything?

Memfis said:

Like I said: all players write "rcon_password blablabla" in console, then "rcon puke 789".

What if I want to play a netgame? Do I have to give everyone rcon access? Because that doesn't seem right.

Edward850 said:

How exactly are you starting the game? What is the launch commands for each player? And are you autoloading anything?

Ignore that post, I tried to delete it, I made an initial mistake starting the game. I'm testing it right now. Will post back with CORRECT results this time. Sorry!!!!

A big thank you to Edward850!

So far, it's working flawlessly even on holyhell.wad using latest svn of zdoom!

I really appreciate everyone's help! Truly! Huge thank you! And I'm sorry for "lying" about testing zdoom, I was told that the issues were likely to never be fixed and believed it. That's my fault.

AGAIN THANK YOU ALL! This solved several days worth of trial and error for me!

MALON said:

What if I want to play a netgame? Do I have to give everyone rcon access? Because that doesn't seem right.

Not sure how this works exactly, but you can give limited rcon rights that allow people to use only some commands. You can find more info on zdaemon.org I guess.