Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Let's name Freedoom's levels!

TBH the current one ain't bad either, but the old tune gives me a nostalgic mood.

The first version of FD that I had was 0.7, so it was sometime in 2012. I'll be honest, I was rather sceptical about the art back then too (before I actually played) but I was on the hunt for all kinds of FOSS remakes of commercial games and FD was the prime example. I played a lot of vanilla PWADs that aimed to recreate the original feel of Doom levels, including Simply Phobos, the CH Retro Episode and Planet Phobos, as well as NJDoom and NMD, with Phase 1 and MBF in DOSBox.

Back then I mostly preferred vanilla PWADs to the original FD levels because in many places, I felt there was a clash between the art style/quality and the advanced BOOM features introduced in some levels like the underwater section in E1M3 (IIRC), conveyor belts and the like, which would be more appropriate in something akin to Duke Nukem 3D. The levels also had very little in terms of Doom style secret areas. But I still played through almost the entirety of the FD shareware episode.

9 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

Is that supposed to be a meta-joke, or are you expressing criticism of map design this way?

TBH I'm not a big fan of the new E1M1 because of its rather confusing layout, but E1M2 is a longtime classic.

'Twas a jest. But I do remember Freedoom having some generic and bland looking assests, this is the main reason why I never really play through it. Then again, it is a longstanding community project and this is to be expected. An admirable undertaking though.

On 12/15/2013 at 1:57 AM, chungy said:

Best map name.

make wolfenstein3d sprites in freedoom style

gzfreedoom levels will get the same names as freedoom unless some of the names are still undecided if or when I complete gzfreedoom at which point I will just choose a name at that point for the levels that need it

alternate, if already named freedoom levels change from the set I am currently working on then I might also choose the name or keep the current name for that level or maybe do a thread similar to this one for gzfreedoom

On 7/29/2021 at 8:46 AM, CBM said:

if already named freedoom levels change

Remember that this thread is outdated. All freedom levels are already named, and many are different from what this 2013 post states.

For the up to date list see: https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/blob/master/lumps/dehacked/dehacked.txt#L205

Imho, this should be mentioned in the OP message, or at least be unpinned.

On 7/30/2021 at 8:15 PM, Ferk said:

Imho, this should be mentioned in the OP message, or at least be unpinned.

The day the admins remember this subforum exists is gonna be the day it gets deleted.

On 8/6/2020 at 4:09 PM, doomfighter667112349 said:

i miss the old maps like old map19 the castle map and the old e1m1

Those were more creative than new one!!!

On 3/13/2024 at 5:15 PM, Ninjapro007 said:

Freedom release is noticeable :D

Oh yeah, looks like some levels were renamed last update