Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revenant

Drawing Doom maps, start to finish

This is interesting, but also a bit predictable: maps are designed from start to exit.

printz said:

This is interesting, but also a bit predictable: maps are designed from start to exit.

the thread title said:
Drawing Doom maps, start to finish

gasp

After watching these gifs, I am now of the opinion that most maps seem to be built with a series of lines. Always learning

Updated dmvis Omgifol to use unsigned numbers wherever possible/necessary to have "true" limit removing map support (hi Mek, try it now :V)

Also, maps don't need to adhere to the ExMx or MAPxx naming conventions anymore.

You should add an option to enforce a maximum time limit and/or combine an arbitrary number of steps into one frame, so people can make GIFs that don't necessarily have hundreds or thousands of frames.

There's already the --draw-shapes option, which will draw an entire closed shape (usually a sector) in a single frame, though the effect that has on the frame count obviously varies from one map to another. I might also add an option to generate an exact number of frames to make it more predictable.

Vela Pax - MAP01

It works! It takes a few minutes to run completely through, for those interested in watching it.

I decided to try out the draw-shapes option this time, and it was a wise decision. It still took quite a few hours to render, but the file size is much smaller now (~2.3mb) and the drawing is much faster. I'm pretty sure if I rendered it out in line mode again, it would take an order of magnitude longer to watch.

As the person who made the map, I find it incredibly interesting to watch this; I can't say others will find it nearly as interesting as I do :P. But the order in which the things are drawn is pretty close to reality. It is a bit disjointed in some places though, and I imagine that is, in part, due to a massive optimization sweep I did recently. For instance, some parts of the exit are drawn very early, but that area was one of the last areas I did (and in fact I redid it during my optimization sweep). So my guess is that all of the lines that I cut out during optimization were push up into the new exit area.

Anyways, this is a supremely cool tool and I will definitely render out some of my other maps!

This is a bit of a bump, but this thing's been on my mind recently so I wanted to update the thread with a couple of things.

The first one is that I decided to revisit the code and apply some painfully obvious optimizations that more or less mean that dmvis is no longer horrendously slow. (To wit, I tried rendering MAP01 of Vela Pax without --draw-shapes and it took about a minute and 20 seconds.) Source/downloads in the same place as before.

A while back I also added GIFs of all the maps from the Doom 0.3 alpha, in case you're interested in looking at those for some reason.

Also, Ryan Baumann made a Tumblr/Twitter bot that uses dmvis on random maps from idgames. (The Twitter version is missing some of the GIFs due to Twitter not liking the number of frames they contain, or something.) Check it out!

(Bonus quick edit: I also slapped together a Build engine counterpart at some point, but the output usually looks pretty incoherent, so it's arguably not really worth trying)