Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Ten Years of Cacowards

We here at Doomworld are happy to have a team of dedicated individuals who produce an annual award ceremony known as the Cacowards. Occasionally, they even get submitted in time for Doom's anniversary on December 10th.

In case you didn't notice, Doom turned 20 years old a week ago. If you need to catch up, lots of people have written lots of articles about it, some of which even might be worth reading. But none so much as this one.

The 20th Annual Cacowards await you.

A big thanks for the 2013 Cacowards :)

Every year it's the same: When november ends and the snow begins to fall, there is this special "DooM feeling", you know what I mean?
Ok, I am sure, everybody here knows it: The Cacowards are almost there!
Congratulations to all the winners, especially to Ribbik's Stardate 20X6, my personal favourite this year :)
And I like the new "Lifetime Achievement" category, it's amazing.
"Suspended in Dusk" by Esa "Espi" Repo is a legendary masterpiece btw, every DooMer should have played through it!
It's a fascinating fact, that it's designed for Vanilla DooM <3

p.s.: "beloved demon killing simulator" -kmxexii
XXDD

Very well worth the wait, an excellent read that carries on Scuba Steve's legacy properly. I feel like I owe myself the playing of some of these award winners! I also kind of want to take on the mapping challenge, as I did it a couple of years ago :p

Read it not too long ago and I agree with all of them. It would have been nice if Hellbound got one but there was quite a lot of award winning material this year it has to be said.

Good work chaps!
Very pleased to see Fuel Devourer receive an award - an excellent map. Also good to see Stomper receive an honourable mention - probably the set that I have enjoyed most this year. The 'Most Promising Newcomer' is a nice addition - well done Eris, Obsidian, and Scifista.

All I have to say is about Soulcrusher getting recognized... thank you, I feel happy, and I feel that all these years of modding of which 4 were spent on Soulcrusher alone paid off.

This is the best christmas gift ever, again thank you. This gives me a reason to improve Soulcrusher... just gotta wait with it until exams are over in February, then I can begin work on the improvements, I cannot promise i'll get things done, but I will try, just for you people.

Fantastic wordsmithery as always. Now I just need to remember play some of these masterpieces. And possibly also some of the dozens from previous awards that I still haven't played.

Congrats to the winners and apologies in advance if I never get around to actually looking at your creations rather than just reading about them.

Memfis said:

Can I refuse the award? :P It's mega underserwed, so average wad.

No, because I had way more fun playing it than at least one of the runners-up

By the way, Nmn saw the cacowards (he forgot his password) and sends his personal regards (he asked me to post this), he's very happy that you guys remembered about him and that unfortunately at the moment, he's extremely busy in his art school.

kmxexii said:

No, because I had way more fun playing it than at least one of the runners-up

Oh well, that's what you get for having like 5-6 doomers to choose from all the wads I guess: a few picks noone else would ever do. I guess it isn't a problem as long as people clearly realize that these are just very subjective opinions and nothing more, and don't treat them very seriously even if the site tries to make them look "official".

Memfis said:

Oh well, that's what you get for having like 5-6 doomers to choose from all the wads I guess: a few picks noone else would ever do. I guess it isn't a problem as long as people clearly realize that these are just very subjective opinions and nothing more, and don't treat them very seriously even if the site tries to make them look "official".

The only person who takes this shit as objectively as you fear is Brandon D. Lade

These awards are good, but I'm 'concerned' you missed something big. :(

Will say no more, leave it to others to discuss.

Only a minor complaint from me is that Kaiser's award doesn't mention everything he's done, including his work on reversing all the various console versions, without which mods like the PSX TC for ZDoom wouldn't exist or at the least would have had a lot more trouble figuring things out on their own. And of course Chocolate Strife, which while mentioned in the margins, is a project he was very importantly involved in and sped up the development of by years with his prior experience dealing with the game.

BTW some of the "esoteric" tools he used were IDA Pro, the professional grade disassembler and decompiler, and the nemu64 emulator, which has an awesome N64 debugger - he says without the latter, Doom 64 never would have been reversed due to the sheer complexity of its custom compression algorithm.

Taken altogether those things make him even more deserving. His talents are very wide ranging, far more than mine for example - I'm good at programming but I haven't tried to map since the late 90's and know better than to ever try ;) Kaiser's done a bit of everything.

With me been a fan of classic gameplay I think Doom 2 the way id did was the best WAD released in a very, very long time. Absolutely true classic, real Doom with no new music or textures in the main levels with its architectural design frightening close to the original game, although completely new levels. It was like playing Doom 2 all over again. Hellbound was a fantastic megawad with some amazing maps, especially those huge city maps.

Whew, glad to see folks enjoying the 'Wards despite it all being a week off. Super-psyched in particular to hear from Alter and NMN-by-Proxy -- keep at it! :D

Quasar said:

Only a minor complaint from me is that Kaiser's award doesn't mention everything he's done

I'm really not sure if that would have been possible without adding another two or three pages to the 'Wards. :P

I suppose I did undersell his code-wise contributions and listed only 64 EX under the reverse-engineering side of life, but you're right -- he's a jack of all trades and a master of at least half of them, so thanks for providing a better breakdown. There's a reason he's the first one to win the Espi, after all. ;)

...Can I call it that? That makes it sound like we're turning Espi and his legacy into an object now. :x

It's really great to see an award remembering Espi, and I can't think of a better first recipient. Congrats to Kaiser!

LodiB88 said:

These awards are good, but I'm 'concerned' you missed something big. :(

Will say no more, leave it to others to discuss.

Like worst wad?

Awesome and some very deserving winners, most of them I've played and enjoyed very much. D2TWID and BTSX being the most consistently good wads and Unholy Realm providing some of the best doom fun since Vanguard.
Great to see Pirate Doom get a nod, an excellent TC in my opinion.
Ribbiks is also a worthy winner of best mapper. His stuff is certainly stunning to look at even if I'm having my ass kicked every 20 seconds :P
Edit - Memfis you are accepting your award even if we have to surgically attach it to your face so it doesn't get sent back in the mail XD

Everyone is happy, yay! Except memfis, double yay! ;)

kmxexii said:

The only person who takes this shit as objectively as you fear is Brandon D. Lade

You forgot the Something Awful forums.

Memfis said:

Cue the fallatious assumption of objectivity in reviews actually being a thing that is possible to achieve. There's no such thing as objectivity when it comes to reviews or awards for creative creations. And I am personally happy that it's not down to popular opinion either.

* head explodes*

Yaaaay Cacowards! Thanks to all involved l. Congrats to all of the winners - I agree with just about every pick you guys made. I'm incredibly honored to have been recognized. :)