Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ArmouredBlood

NG2-6th map up

It's been a long time, but I've gotten some maps done. Two so far, a third, which I actually started first, will be worked on (and it's huge. Just so time consuming ... I swear I'll get it done!).

Map6
M5 V2 here
EDIT: Map5 now up!
EDIT: Map 4 up!
EDIT: 3rd map up!
EDIT:V2 is up, and thanks to Plums and Phml, it's one texture wad! yay!.

--- Be careful with the 'texture' wad, an older version of the maps is in it. Delete them with an editor or make sure you get the load order right.

But why download this, person who has not played movement 1? Because it's (going to be) full of hard slaughter maps with nice visuals and some creative gameplay! Made by the guy who brought you NewGothic: movement 1, Shai'tan's Luck, and assorted maps in Slaughterfest 2011, 2012, and 2013 (I can't remember which, and how many. Maybe I didn't make one for 11).

Refers to V1
Sorry for the mess with the texture wads, but it's been a while since I've done anything like this. Right now CC4-TEX is used for Map02, and Map01 uses the included hodge-podge of textures that I'm not going to credit for now (includes gothictx, if anyone cares about that disclaimer).
/v1

Version1
Download NOW! (CC4-tex required for map02, map01 tex included)

Please leave FDAs (not for the faint of heart) and comments! (especially for lower skill levels and multiplayer!)

ArmouredBlood said:

Also, any advice on how to merge the two resource wads would be appreciated.

MTrop made some programs that do that, if you're comfortable using the command line. texspy grabs a list of textures and textract will extract them from a texture wad and put into a new wad, which is easy to merge into the wad with your maps.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/63373-i-will-program-small-doom-utilities-for-you/

I can do this for you if you want, though it's obviously better if you learn to do it yourself. The end of that thread has an example from me trying to use it.

I think SLADE can do it too, but I haven't tried that way.

FDA for map1. The switches doesn't seem to animate so I couldn't figure out what the hell to do at first. But after a while I understood. And by the time I understood, the map got much easier.

You could easily remove the invuln that's hidden in the cybie/archie closet. Also, make the last room close once you grab the invuln. The spider that teleported into the corridor wasn't enough to stop me from camping out there once I handled the archie's.

Fun map :) It doesn't really look as good as ng1 though :( On to map2!

FDA for map2.

MAn what an annoying start this was. Not just the chaingunners, but the area that you enter next. So cramped and cacos above your head all the time. Not to mention the super damaging slime. I don't know if I just suck, but this felt kind of luck-based and grindy.

After I've cleared the second room of monsters it all slowed down. The gameplay got boring since I had to plasma 1 spider and 2 cybies. Same goes for the mancubus/arach room. And what did those archies do behind the red pillars?

I died after the bastard cybie trap in the cramped spectre room. Meh. Didn't feel like doing all the boring stuff over again so I quit.

A solution to the grindy cybie plasma fights could be to put the BFG in the red cybie tunnel. That would also make the mancubus fight afterwards more rewarding. Same goes for the cybie fight on the BK ledge. I went up there without BFG, not knowing what to expect. If I'd replay this, I would never do it in that order again. This makes the map more linear than it has to be.

I would like to see you get rid of the green marble in this map and replace it with the beige/brown one.

This map has alot of potential though. But as it is now, it's too hectic at the start and too slow in the middle.

Keep it up! Love your maps

Thanks plums, I'll look into those, sounds much easier than hand-picking things to put in with slade.

Thanks Danne, I needed that feedback. I do need to do something with those switches, heh. The invulns are hard to balance here, I originally had 3, 1 in each closet, but also 1-2 more cybs in each. It just got too grinding. The last bit probably should close. I got a little ahead of myself and need to detail this map, I just finished 2 though and wanted to get feedback.

On 2, I think the problem is the cacos, they just take a ton of space. I had to remove a few before since they just swarm so hard. A few less of those I think. Yeah the sm could probably go, don't have the bfg for it. The cybs are supposed to force a choice in which way to go, I guess a BFG is probably needed at the tunnel because of those later issues.

I'll get around to uploading a new version once I watch your fdas.

I wanted to play this right away and I'm trying to get the hang of those command line tools, so I went ahead and merged the wads. Incredible timesaver! Zip file with the result and a FDA for 02.

Initially felt the same way as danne about the initial fight; but after a few deaths, I felt it was excellent. It forces you in very unusual movement patterns, even for slaughtermaps. I eventually settled on alternating straight lines and diagonals as well as forward/backward, which seems to reliably break chaingunner line of sight, the tricky remaining part being not to shoot yourself in the face when an overeager imp steps too close nor hang on for too long lest the other side catches up with you.

On the other hand, the next part didn't convince me. I feel there's a reliable strategy there as well - jump right away into the lava, and move around a bit until revs/HKs are out of their closets, then rush either one of said corridors and camp it out right there. So it's somewhat interesting; but at the same time, once you survived the initial wave the cleanup part drags on for so long. Which is the kind of result I'd dismiss as what happens when you choose to camp, but here with so many monsters it's not like you have much of a choice (well, "you" being those of us without supernatural dooming abilities).

Might seem kind of an extreme suggestion but I feel all ground hordes could be nuked here. Keep the cacos and cybie, keep the revs on their pillars; you get this relatively empty half-room the player can rush through, but then there's mancs, revs, arachs, and the spiderMM on the other side, slowing if not stopping your progress, and the second half of the initial imp horde catching up.

I didn't mind the spiderMM, the cybies, the mancs/arachs near the BFG myself, but as I was playing I could definitely imagine those things being tedious to other people (and I didn't read danne's feedback before playing).

Didn't care much for the cybie guarding the blue key at first, because if you fall it's a pain in the ass to take it down, but in hindsight I guess it doesn't matter so much if the key is optional.

I quite liked the walls revealing a spectre horde as you spot the 2 AVs. Some of them seem to be stuck however, perhaps making the whole thing a little bit wider (that is, less pillars) would help.

Cybie trap felt unfair on first playthrough.

Spider/manc/caco + 2 cybs fight in green/orange teleporters room: odd one. You don't really have the space to want to get in there, and heading back to camp it out is such an easy and attractive option.

I liked the final fight. Screwed myself by pressing the switches in the wrong order, but then I realised that as I did it, so maybe having the option to do that isn't a bad thing. Deaths caused by your own stupidity are the funniest.

Overall I liked it. All of the above is not so much things that bug me, but rather things that I imagine might bother other people. But then these days I enjoy punching horde of helpless imps through closen bars or killing cyberdemons from afar with the single shotgun, so I might not be the best guy to look for criticism.

Still, random thought (instead of the "delete everything" one): what if the lava in the big room, the two pits around the cybie as well as the pit with the spiderMM, were instead at ground level? There'd be a lot more space to move, many more options to deal with monsters or try to speed through. You could still keep much of it or even all of it as lava, the mere fact monsters would step on it would help, I think.

Thank you so much phml for doing that for me! (I swear I'll try it just so I know how to do it in the future <.<) Tons of feedback.

V2 if you don't want to read!

After watching danne's fda, I was going to say there's a bit of a trick to getting through that corridor in the beginning, but in any case I doubled the health pots in there so it's easier. Only forwards though.

The cleanup, is debate-able, since I like to rush in and get things infighting, except for the SM (which got removed) cleanup isn't so bad here. Especially cause I moved the BFG, it honestly makes no sense to be where it is now since danne pointed it out. You can just go back and clean up at leisure. Blue key cyb is 'trivialized' by this.

The pillars in the room blocking the spectres have been mostly opened, I didn't want to fully open it because just one bfg shot kills half the spectres. That trap is supposed to be unfair ;p

The next fight has been changed, for the better. It made no sense as it was, just needed some archies to spice it up. Still no immediate pressure, but it's a bit more of a puzzle fight, like the first corridor. I might try the lava at ground level bit, but I don't think it's necessary now, and will nerf the additions.

I nerfed the final fight, perhaps too much. Needs playtesting. Perhaps eliminating the secret and just making that standard?

I'll watch your FDA now, just had to get V2 up before too many people got to the end and were disappointed by the teleport bit.

E: apparently you uploaded the wrong FDA? It ends after one death. Unless you're trying to say something by humping the hell knight ;)

V2!

Oops. Yeah, wrong one. Started on 01 before noticing I played this before. Both FDAs (old version, new version) are here. I doublechecked!

Note there's both maps included in the ng2-2mapsTxMerged.wad I posted, because making a wad with just the textures would have made too much sense. :)

Getting the BFG earlier works well. Enables fast starts as well. Played that way, the map is even more fun and interesting. Speed attempts especially, looks like you could go through the whole thing in about 3 minutes, with lots of high-risk (yet skill-based rather than luck) maneuvers.

Of course I end up slower than if I played the map normally, plus I believe I forgot the invul, right after spending a few minutes clearing out the cybie and remaining few foes just for that purpose.

I'm not too fond of the AVs during the teleport part. Shooting at things while disoriented by TP, not fun. Said things being on faraway pillar, even less fun. Said things being AVs and blinding you with their flames... You get the point. Not that it's a big deal, plus I could have used the invul there.

ArmouredBlood, you should have waited a couple of days and released this on the 20th. It would've been cool to receive the second part of NewGothic exactly three years after we received the second part of Sunder.

Anyhow, merry christmas. It was about time for something momentous.

Oh yes! I've been waiting for this, the first part was amazing both visually and in the game play department same as SL (wasn't fond of the IoS part in map 20 or was it 21?) but it was still great. I'm tempted to just download this and play now (I usually wait for final releases), but I can tell already that it will not disappoint.

Heh, this isn't the completed second part, just building it up. I was unaware that Sunder part 2 was released 3 years ago on the 20th, what a coincidence.

Springy, I have a bit of a habit of including maps that bring down the aesthetic quality of megawads (map20&21 of SL, map3 of NGm1...), hopefully I've gotten better at weeding out the chafe (aaaaaand I'll just go mess with map01 ....)

Finally finished the map I started over a year ago, you'll see why it took so long to get myself to finish it once you play it. FDAers beware, it's long! Don't worry about the sky, I'm going to change it once I find something that fits.

Get it here.

FDA for map03.

I can already hear cries of despair from UV maxers looking endlessly for that last imp straggler. :)

Perhaps the north outer linedefs (i.e. linedef 10412) should be impassable, an AV jump or even falling fast from the stairs can send you outside of the playable area.

It might be best if the non-wall linedefs (i.e. linedef 1884) in the circular "lift" (sector 150) were flipped and lowered the floor on activation, just so the player doesn't get stuck in one of the monster alcoves.

There's not enough megaspheres in the world to get me to step into the Great Cyberdemon Labyrinth of Death. :)

I'm not big on torches on floor level, there's always awkward wobbles and mishaps as the sprite can't accurately represent the exact space they take. Thinking of the batches of three around the 64 pixels doors specifically (thing 2719, 2722, etc.). Throw in the megasphere you might not want to take right away, and attacking from that position feels constricted. Ok, you can go from the other side, it's not that big of a deal; just felt like mentioning this pet peeve.

The layout makes it easy to camp and results in large amounts of monsters in specific spots and large amounts of empty space; but it's not necessarily a bad thing in such a big map. It seems like the number of routes and intersections might pose some problems in aggressive play, might be tough to shoot efficiently if you never know when a cybie or two is going to sneak up behind you, but I'll let better players be the judge of that.

I could see I was supposed to dash to the center to grab a megasphere every now and then in the center room fight, but couldn't find an opening. Fight feels good anyway, I did nothing but circlestrafe and got punished for it (monsters gathered at center), and the monster count/selection itself didn't seem overwhelming. More tactical play, staying on one side for a longer amount of time then doing quick dashes the other way is the way to go, I assume.

Finally got a chance to watch your FDA. I think I've gotten a little better at introducing a fight, considering most of this map is over a year, almost 2, old. Anyway, to your points.

I'll definitely change those lines, I was thinking about it, but there aren't any archies out there so I thought I'd skip it for now. The lift idea is good, that's one of the old fights I didn't change. And lol, I won't subject you to the mass of cybs (14 to the paltry 4, 7 a side) that used to be in there. Funnily enough, they can walk up the stairs, so they'd actually clog the hallways, which I didn't like.

The torch issue is annoying I agree, I think I'll remove them and get light panels in there, just lazy decoration from 1 year+ ago. The camping issue doesn't seem too big too me, since when you get the opportunity you have the bfg, so it's really your choice. It really only affects the archviles on the walls, and that's meant to be taken tactically anyway. You REALLY don't want to wake the whole map at once.

You didn't get that far in the center fight (you had another 1k or so mobs to go ;), so I'll have to look into it. It's a little too easy to lose the high ground so I might have to change some things. I think some medkits on the walls and a blue armor or two will help. Such a pain to place them all >.>

FDA for map04 on v4.

No specific comments, save that I did not get that secret. So far I'm thinking mandatory AV jump to that snake switch, which would bum me out personally; but hey, your map, not mine. :)

Thanks for that fda, made a couple changes (first bfg switch is now shootable, now is possible to grab if you kill all the archies. It's not intended you should have it though, so all the ammo you get with it is all there is) to ease game flow and make the last fight more urgent. When I watched your fda I felt the map suffered heavily to a conservative approach, perhaps I should add the disclaimer 'meant to be played in a speedrun style' to it ;p

V2

FDAs for map05. Two files, I only had 10 minutes to give it a go the first time around.

Start made me think of a parking garage, for some reason.

In my first FDA I get killed by what seems to be a nodebuilding issue, in the cave area (rocket hits invisible wall). You can see the effect happening again in my second FDA.

The first secret, with those chaingunners spotting you before you drop down and eventually abusing their infinitelytallness to shoot you in impunity... Even if it's just for a second or two, until you drop down and react, or back out and use the same exploit shooting rockets at walls, this feels so-so.

Underwater area was tedious, mostly because I didn't realise the cyberdemon back up couldn't reach you with rockets, so conservatively ran laps around the arena until things started to die. Didn't care much for having to scout the layout underwater and then operate blind at the surface to reach the keys, either. But then, a little bit of platforming and memory puzzle rolled in one, just about all I can dislike in Doom, so I'm hardly objective. :P I suppose using the corpses as waypoints can also help, but there were so many of them I could hardly pick a few to remember and watch out for.

That arch-vile ambush felt entirely unfair. I might change my tune on subsequents playthroughs, but on a FDA, ouch. At the very least being able to recharge cells *before* the AV horde is unleashed would be nice. I suspect the tall columns holding a BFG and cell charge packs lowered as I opened the door (or perhaps pressing the switches behind the AVs triggered that?), but opening a door, seeing AVs and a potential mountain of corpses, and immediately running backwards for ammo isn't that intuitive IMHO.

Honestly, this map just didn't click for me. The parts I don't mention were decent enough, and I didn't feel boredom or annoyance while playing it, but I don't see myself replaying it. But then, can't please everyone.

Heh, yeah I could see it being like a parking garage. I won't be able to watch the fda today, but I bet there probably are a couple errors, zennode took at least 15 seconds to build, and I noticed a weird sector in the first cave segment. I'll probably switch to zdoom extended or something. I'll have to watch the demo to see how the chainers affected you there, but it's definitely worse blind since you probably tried not to have momentum off the edge.

I'll admit the water is tough to navigate without knowing the shapes of the buildings, the corpse guides is a good idea and I'll work it in. I assume the AV horde is at the red key exit, It's a bit awkward yeah. The map ends abruptly because both key paths exit so I wanted to make the difficulty ramp up. The yellow one is shorter but I think more difficult. Anay, I think I'll change the lifts to be permanent lowers, might still not notice them with all the Avs though lol. I intended for you to choose one side so while speed running, if you didn't grab the bfg earlier you can, but you can just stock up on ammo if you did. Or I could make the door open when crossing the lift lines and make each switch lower a lift. That'd be better.

Sorry you didn't like it, it is a bit different from my other maps.

E: I have a V2 but mediafire is giving me an error 501 ... I'll upload it somewhere else for now.

FDAS for 02 and 04

New Gothic Movement 2 not getting any love I see, travesty D: I decided to skip FDA for MAP01 since it's completely hazardous from the onset and just continually sky rockets from their but I love the intensity of duking in and out between the hordes in such tight surroundings. It removes any genuine sense of grindyness, the mobs are the right size.

For MAP02, After an initial 3-4 deaths working out the initial grape start, this is all blind believe it!

I coincide with Phml's remarks with regards to the gameplay from the onset being highly intense yet interesting without deteoriating into snoozeville, you have to adopt to arbitrary movement patterns and react on the spot given your pinned down from all sides with little movement room to manoeuvre and your constantly kept on your toes.

The approach taken here is brute force with pre-emptive foresights of looking for small pockets of space to gain a foothold in and between the mobs, I love maps which emphasise the player working out monster movement behaviour to navigate between mobs in very tight surroundings coupled with careful ammo management as that's the layer of strategy which is sorely missing from maps of this genre, although I can see it's a difficult formula to get right and no doubt the amount of playtesting would be sky high.

For the start, just rush one corner of Imps while carefully moving forward then you reach the safe haven easy. With regards to the initial outdoor quadrant with the HK and Rev closets, I thought why not just brute force them to gain a initial safe spot? Then it was a case of haphazard moving in and out between the Imp and Caco barrage before duking it downstairs and circling back to clean up the rest of the mobs.

I concur on the dual Cybers after the Spectre/AV trap in the halls being unfair on a first attempt, your not given any awareness of their onset and a player may have exhausted all their cell ammo thinking you wouldn't encounter such a trap in such enclosed surroundings. I had to double back towards the start, to lure the 2nd one away from the door, also a note on the texturing, no doubt the colours complement one another to create that gritty, yet vibrant gothic theme which feels right at home but I feel it masks ammo pickups, it was only through luck I found those rockets in the corners by the pillars after the Red BFG/Cyb hall for example.

I wanted to take a conservative and cautious approach to the final room as it looked menacing what with the imposing Cybs and AV's on pillars, and given the potential dilema of running low on cells again through using them in a way not intended but it ended with a disgusting hide under your desk while sobbing tears of embarassment, crawl up in a fetal position and never show your face again death. However I really didn't know what the hell I was doing, I wanted to save the Invul for the obviously impending mass rape, it doesn't help I decided to try this leviathan after just waking up either so my reflexes were sub-par.

MAP04, I loved the tactical outside fight! It focuses on utilizing the corners for cover while playing hide and peek with the AV's in such exposed surroundings, it forces you into never a moment's hesistation state of mind and requires split second decisions on movement and choice of targets. Afterwards the map takes a more cautious approach for me what with the recurring backstab ambushes, but the placement of AV's is very well thought out as your tempted to lure them into a convinient open window to splatter while having to bear being rained upon by Imps. I didn't find the BFG secret, although it would have made things far less interesting then they already were, here is a good example of how using mob teleporters doesn't add any monotony because their cleverly used to pinned you down and think about target priority.

Oh snap I forgot to put v2 in a media fire link. On mobile before bed, I'll try and do that before I head out tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback krypto, I'll watch your FDA's probably when I get back. I agree it's unfortunate interest waned, but I've been short of inspiration lately so it doesn't matter too much. I'll just coerce some play testers into suffering through the whole thing when it's close to release lol.

Mediafire link for V2 of m5 is here

Holy shit it's a map! Map06 is up, enjoy the giant cathedral. Two weeks ago I watched a documentary on cathedrals on youtube since I wanted to redefine my gothic architecture definition, and it inspired me to make this map. It's probably my biggest since 21 of NG, and though the mob count is lower than many others, it's spaced so you get some pretty ridiculous pressure at times. Difficulties are pretty much just a ton of megaspheres, since there is not a single soulsphere on UV and only 4 megas normally. Watch out for rockets.

Little known fact: medieval cathedrals were filled to the brim with cyberdemons.

FDA. Lengthy! Features possibly the longest death slide in Doom history.

I liked it. It feels like the pieces fall together after you played each part, and I'm not convinced you're given the tools to figure it out without trial and error; but it's enjoyable enough to run around and conquer each location gradually.

(On a personal note, if my feedback doesn't sound super enthusiastic, it has to be with my preferences shifting to tightly controlled levels or "adventure" maps lately. Your style is more chaos chaos CHAOS, with a little bit of exploration. Had these maps come with NG1, at the time I would have had nothing but praises. Regardless, I'm still having a good time!)

Don't feel obligated to watch my bad fdas, failed on all:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/st8cp1

1 missing tall thin texture on sides of key switch
6 I ran out ammo eventually, probably could have found some somewhere, like maybe drop way back down, not sure.
5 blue door could use an indicator that its blue or even a door

Played map6.

It's WIP, right? The brightness was just all over 192 and the "detailing" was very square. The courtyards looked really bland and the cathedral could've used some detailing in the ceilings.

I also disliked how almost every staircase was too small for the monsters to walk down/up.

Sorry for bitching. I had fun gameplay-wise. It was a bit easy to just rush through the last teleporting horde to the exit though.

dannebubinga said:

Played map6.

It's WIP, right? The brightness was just all over 192 and the "detailing" was very square. The courtyards looked really bland and the cathedral could've used some detailing in the ceilings.

I also disliked how almost every staircase was too small for the monsters to walk down/up.

Sorry for bitching. I had fun gameplay-wise. It was a bit easy to just rush through the last teleporting horde to the exit though.

It could probably use some work. I honestly hate detailing maps after 2 weeks though. I'll see what I can do. And the map is definitely not 192 all over, it just seems like it in parts because of bright tiles, candelabras, and the windows. I think trying that final doom 'twid' screwed up my detailing anyway.

Thanks for the fdas guys, picked up some useful stuff.

FDA for map02.

Also, strange bug on Map01: http://i.imgur.com/IHLUmL1.png Didn't finish it yet, so no fda for it, only failed ones.

Edit: Map04 FDA.

Edit 2: Map05 FDA.

Edit 3: Map06 FDA.

Edit 4: Map01 first exit. I was rewriting my deaths at start of map, so there's just best attempts to finish this map.

Edit 5: Broke map03 twice:
http://i.imgur.com/IdfquIk.png
http://i.imgur.com/DiAchz4.png