Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

scythe 2-like wads

I'm up to map 2, and this feels a lot like an iwad, no huge levels thrown in your face right from the start, not a slaughterfest, no puzzles. Any like this? (aside from compilations like coffee break)

invictius said:

I'm up to map 2, and this feels a lot like an iwad, no huge levels thrown in your face right from the start, not a slaughterfest

Idclev 30.

BaronOfStuff said:

I lol'd. Don't start asking for more of something you've barely started.

Scythe II is going to rip your nuts off and make you eat them.

Oops, map 4 I meant.

MAP30 isn't even the hardest. 29, 23 and 28 are worse in difficulty. It starts getting really difficult around the 20s.

Listen to them, it's going to be a son of a bitch later. If you want something similar to Scythe 2, I would recommend Alien Vendetta, Kama Sutra, Speed of Doom or Hellbound (not sure about the last one because I haven't finished it, but seems similar from what I've played).

Zed said:

Listen to them, it's going to be a son of a bitch later. If you want something similar to Scythe 2, I would recommend Alien Vendetta, Kama Sutra, Speed of Doom or Hellbound (not sure about the last one because I haven't finished it, but seems similar from what I've played).

I've tried all of those, pretty sure they all made me go "where the hell do I go next???" by map 2.

It might have been a bad idea to use the first few levels of Scythe 2 to judge the whole thing on, but, "Are there any megawads where the majority of the maps are like the first few maps of Scythe 2?" is still a valid question.

Have you tried tvr! ? Not like Scythe 2 at all but pretty easy and straightforward levels, for the most part.

invictius said:

I've tried all of those, pretty sure they all made me go "where the hell do I go next???" by map 2.

If thats the case, maybe you should consider quit playing Doom.

+1 for Vanguard: it's got a decent progression to it and it's pretty fun to play, even as the difficulty ramps up. Although I kind of lost interest at MAP11. :/

plums said:

It might have been a bad idea to use the first few levels of Scythe 2 to judge the whole thing on, but, "Are there any megawads where the majority of the maps are like the first few maps of Scythe 2?" is still a valid question.

Agreed... I always like the progression of Scythe and Scythe 2. Sure, the later levels are filled to the brim, but I like that the early levels are relatively quick. I dread any megawad that starts throwing 200+ monsters at me only a few levels in.

Cacatou said:

MAP30 isn't even the hardest. 29, 23 and 28 are worse in difficulty. It starts getting really difficult around the 20s.

Many Revenants, Hell Knights and Fatsos along with hundreds of floating terrors and even a new enemy. You will sure have fun. Afterlife is an insane level.

darkreaver said:

If thats the case, maybe you should consider quit playing Doom.

Is it normal to be lost for half-hour though? And I should have reserved my judgement until map 8... not as difficult to find the keys/exit as 6 and 7 but tons of enemies now.

I think you'll LOVE Post Mortem and Mostly Harmful from Hell Revealed. In all seriousness, tvr! Would be the first to come too mind but there's no real challenge to it sadly. There are loads more but I am struggling to think at the moment due to other important things.

Springy said:

I think you'll LOVE Post Mortem and Mostly Harmful from Hell Revealed. In all seriousness, tvr! Would be the first to come too mind but there's no real challenge to it sadly. There are loads more but I am struggling to think at the moment due to other important things.

I don't get the appeal of slaughterfest maps, you're basically holding fire down the whole time.

invictius said:

I don't get the appeal of slaughterfest maps, you're basically holding fire down the whole time.

A few require strategy believe you and me, try taping the fire button down in some HR maps you won't last long as a lot of them require monster infighting, luring monsters to different places, leaving some monsters for later to preserve ammo etc. If you want maps with not many monsters, I would suggest Malcolm Sailor's maps (Chord series in particular) and crestfallen by some other guy named Martin.

If you want something in the style of TVR!, I strongly recommend The Rebirth. One of the best megawads out there, and one of my personal favorites, of course.

I have all of these on my idgames mirror but I can't be bothered drilling down four or five folder levels to open them up so I just download them again so they're all ready to go on my desktop, is that sad or what?

I do the same heh, not only with wads but also with music, books, etc. Often it's easier to just download stuff again instead of looking for it on your computer.

Memfis said:

I do the same heh, not only with wads but also with music, books, etc. Often it's easier to just download stuff again instead of looking for it on your computer.

Heh, my Doom2 folder is 54.5 GB. No MP3 included :)

Back on topic, seems like you're talking about flow, it's hard to beat scythe 1 on that matter, have you played it?

BTSX E1 also has a pretty good flow.

Darch said:

Heh, my Doom2 folder is 54.5 GB. No MP3 included :)

257gb here. I found a page with a link to 100-150 servers with wads, and downloaded the lot - obviously most not already on idgames.

Darch said:

Back on topic, seems like you're talking about flow, it's hard to beat scythe 1 on that matter, have you played it?

BTSX E1 also has a pretty good flow.

I'm pretty sure I have, it's one where you get the sword/scythe around map 10 - or is that something else?