Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

pretty damn impressive wad

Eeewww, what is up with that horrific tree or whatever it is in the lower right corner? Is that some TES4:O technology gone even more wrong? Who in their right mind would look at that and think "yes, that looks acceptable"?

Also, I like how the biggest part of the screenshot is a generic terragen background like anyone can make :D

I watched the video on the website and it looks very visually impressive, but with /incredibly/ boring gameplay. Sitting in the same place fighting waves and waves of the same boring and weak enemies? It'd be pretty bad to happen just the once, but almost every enemy encounter does this.

Yes, the gameplay is megashit, probably the most boring wad I've ever played. Would be much better with -nomonsters.

Watched some videos, looks quite good for Doom but also at the point where I start to wonder "why not a more modern game engine?" But some people like pushing Doom as far as they can, so fine. Combat reminds me of Serious Sam except with far fewer enemies, so it never gets hectic at all. Even in the video he makes it look boring by mostly standing and shooting in the same spots. Not going to play it because I'm sure I'd get single-digit framerates on this old computer anyhow.

Antroid said:

Who in their right mind would look at that and think "yes, that looks acceptable"?

Yes, that looks acceptable.

Actually I think it looks very good, unfortunately I couldn't play it due to frame rate.

Darch said:

Yes, that looks acceptable.

On the whole it sorta does maybe, if you don't look at that abomination of a tree that looks like a tiny picture of a part of a branch was just repeatedly pasted blindly and haphazardly until there was enough copies for the size of a real sprite. I was talking about the tree alone, it's not acceptable at all. Interesting how often Doom mappers that make use of new graphics achieve good, sort of original (for Doom) visuals on the whole but manage to sneak in one or several absolutely horrible-looking sprites without much care.

heh ok got your point about that tree. I was seeing only half of it due to screen scrolling, it looked better that way :)

I'm at the swamp. I need to say that the appearance is very different to most of the wads I have ever played yet.

invictius said:

pretty damn impressive wad

This is right!

I'm sure this would strangle my computer to death.

The WAD seems to have a lot of modern FPS gaming sensibilities, where it's certainly gorgeous to look at, but the gameplay is mostly reduced to "Go forward. Here are a bunch of enemies. Kill all the enemies. The next place is over here." That's not necessarily bad. Some people prefer a more guided, cinematic experience.

Still, for all its efforts to dazzle the player with eye-popping graphics, why didn't they add smooth weapon animations? Those jerky old shotgun graphics don't really match up to the MAC-10 sprites.

Antroid said:

I was talking about the tree alone, it's not acceptable at all.

One might even call it... bad design! :v

Megalyth said:

One might even call it... bad design! :v

Yep, that's certainly bad design if that tree was intended to look not horrible. A perfectly justified usage of the phrase :D Unless it's a parody of the Oblivion trees, but I doubt that's the case.

Da Werecat said:

The tree* is most likely not a single sprite, but a bunch of particles.

* Assuming it's actually a tree.

As I said, "TES4:O" technology gone wrong. It didn't even look good there (if you ever tried to stand under a tree, look directly up and rotate your camera along the vertical axis...), and it sure as hell doesn't look good here, especially when all the parts are the same.

I gave this WAD a try mostly because of how wonderful the visuals are in the screenshots. Well, I can definitely say that the graphics are amazing in this WAD--very well done, very realistic, and overall just beautiful. The sound effects were great, too, as was the music. Lots of fun battle tracks.

The gameplay was...not my cup of tea at all. It seems that the combat was set up invasion-style, which I don't usually go for (that could explain why I didn't enjoy it). However, I felt that the assaults were very sloppy and monotonous--it was like they were just thrown in there so these maps would be "playable" and not just empty gobs of eye candy. And the sheer variety of monsters made it all seem like a Realm667 Beastiary spew party.

I also didn't like the dreamworld levels much. They seemed gimmicky and didn't fit in well with the story.

Overall: Excellent visuals, music and sound effects. Pretty dull and tedious game play.