Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duobutch

Brutal Doom megawads?

Yes, I'm new here so maybe I'll be ignored etc etc but I'll try anyway:

Can you suggest some medium/hard megawads (32 lvls) to be played using brutal doom mod?
I have just played Hell Revealed, Schyte, Plutonia Experiment (often crashes loading a savegame), Kama Sutra.

Thanks

I don't play Brutal Doom so I can't comment on good wads that would work with it. There are hundreds and hundreds of good megawads though.

Going through the Cacowards will give to a lot to play: http://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/

Some quick recommendations: Alien Vendetta, Doom 2 Reloaded, Scythe 2, the Community Chest megawads, Hell Revealed 2, Plutonia 2. yes a lot of 2's in there.

Memento Mori 1&2 and Requiem are (along with HR and AV) the "classic" megawads often recommended, they're not so hard but still worth playing IMO, especially Requiem.

Also I just finished playing the NOVA beta, I thought it was very good and they might be interested in hearing how it plays in BD even though that's not the focus. Not too hard until the last few maps.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/66581-nova-the-birth-beta-playtesting-thread-were-ready/

I don't know why Plutonia would crash often, what port/version are you using?

I'm playing with Zandronum + Brutal Doom 1.8a.

Only NOW I noticed that BD 1.9 has been released since October 30...

Pure Hellspawn said:

there are Skulltag monsters which do not experience Brutal DOOM effects.

Check Brutal Doom's mutators.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/downloads/brutal-doom-v19-mutators

There is a mutator that makes Skulltag actors work as intended. Belphegors are replaced by Lord Belphegors, Ectabuses are replaced by Juggernauts, Grenade Launchers, Miniguns, Railguns and BFG10ks are replaced by their Brutal Doom updated versions, and other monsters are replaced by their vanilla counterparts.

Not a megawad but I think the very best map for Brutal Doom is map 09 from TNT. It's like it was made for the mod.

Grain of Salt said:

Recommend me some paper that will look nice after I run it through this shredder.

How about the upcoming Shores of ZDoom?

Grain of Salt said:

Recommend me some paper that will look nice after I run it through this shredder.

Holy Hell
Plutonia 2
Nuts
Planisphere 2

Grain of Salt said:

Light blue touch-paper. ;-)

I play a literal metric butt-ton of brutal doom. I have already beat scythe, alien vendetta, PAR, phobos-deimos-infernos V, mr chris' brutalized, countdown to extinction, vile library, brotherhood of chaos, and BYHAE, among a few others. Anyone know any meant for brutal doom? Or that just plain play well with brutal doom?

DooM_RO said:

Not a megawad but I think the very best map for Brutal Doom is map 09 from TNT. It's like it was made for the mod.

just tested this out, really fits brutal doom, all those zombiemen and stuff, this level is hard as fuck though.

Grain of Salt said:

Indeed.

Taking advantage of this three-month old bump to recommend Going Down :^)

Going Down is already pretty brutal without Brutal Doom. :O

:)

Venk said:

I play a literal metric butt-ton of brutal doom. I have already beat scythe, alien vendetta, PAR, phobos-deimos-infernos V, mr chris' brutalized, countdown to extinction, vile library, brotherhood of chaos, and BYHAE, among a few others.

Interesting varied list, I guess Brutal Doom can work with any classics if they're not overly slaughter, and maybe even then yes.

scifista42 said:

I guess Brutal Doom can work with any classics if they're not overly slaughter, and maybe even then yes.

I think i tried deus vult 2 with BD once and it died a shuddering death when it got to the 4th map, dunno if it was the amount of monsters or something else.

I've been playing Brutal Doom-specific maps generated by the latest OBLIGE release. It's surprisingly a lot of fun. The levels are ideal for large pitched battles and the excess of enemies is balanced by the BD arsenal.

Job said:

I've been playing Brutal Doom-specific maps generated by the latest OBLIGE release. It's surprisingly a lot of fun. The levels are ideal for large pitched battles and the excess of enemies is balanced by the BD arsenal.

These two go together quite nicely.