Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Bob Evans and the Odessa series

Maybe he could just post a directory listing as GreyGhost said, and upload just the missing archives to idgames.

It would be nice to see the full set just for posterity, and it's also possible that maybe some of the WADs are older/newer versions of what's in idgames?

Zed said:

Maybe he could just post a directory listing as GreyGhost said, and upload just the missing archives to idgames.

I don't see why he needs to "just" do anything instead of posting the full ISO when the weather/arrangements permit it. Awkward half-measures are awkward.

A torrent is definitely the winning approach for Bob-at-home, though.

Would a few dozen hopefuls hammering the sole torrent source (and a slow connection at that) get the .iso out any faster? Somehow I doubt it.

For anyone interested the balance of the Odessa levels made it into the archives.
ODESSA_1.ZIP, ODESSA_2.ZIP, ODESSA_3.ZIP, ODESSA_6.ZIP, ODESSA_7.ZIP,
ODESSA_9.ZIP, ODESSA11.ZIP, ODESSA_12.ZIP and ODESS_13.ZIP along with their respective Text file.
Please keep in mind these are antiques. :)
The CIS CD matter is still in progress. No word yet on using a local server to upload. Maybe mid week?
For everyone's information I plan on uploading the CD to:
https://archive.org/details/doom-cds

That's awesome. I just played some of the levels and they're still fun - though I didn't finish all of them. I think it's going to take me a while to figure out some of these puzzles :)

It's really great to see these in the idgames archive at last. Thanks!

I might be doing something wrong, but on idgames whenever I type in 'odessa', all I get is #14.

Ah, so 4 5 8 and 10 were thrown out or went to Eternal.

I'll be sure to paly through these when I have time (and when my computer's GPU fan is repaired)

Rampage470 said:

I might be doing something wrong, but on idgames whenever I type in 'odessa', all I get is #14.

http://doomworld.com/idgames/ is not the idgames archive - it is only a pretty frontend to the archive. The Doomworld frontend automatically checks the archive for new submissions: once a week, I think. So there's a delay. It's in the archive, just not listed on Doomworld yet.

The easiest way to find the Odessa levels is to look in the /newstuff directory in the archive: it lists all the files that have recently been submitted (also the origin of the name of "the newstuff chronicles").

Ragnor said:

Ah, so 4 5 8 and 10 were thrown out or went to Eternal.

I'll be sure to paly through these when I have time (and when my computer's GPU fan is repaired)

All those were abandoned years ago except 1 level that went to Eternal and became Silures.

We've been waiting for this day for a long time. I'm definitely looking forward to the CD, I hope you'll have luck with that.

Thanks a lot.

EDIT:

Rampage470 said:

This really needs to be front page news or something. Seriously, this is the Doom equivalent of finding the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, and D. B. Cooper living together.

Gez said:

Once it's available, definitely.

I think it's time.

Bob Evans said:

All those were abandoned years ago except 1 level that went to Eternal and became Silures.

Do you think you'll ever finish them off and make LORDDOOM.wad happen? :p

I think he's talking about the CD, but yeah, I was thinking about the Odessa wads.

Still no sign of this ISO? Is there anyway it could be uploaded onto some temporary storage site like Mediafire or something just so it gets out into the wild in the hands of some people while we wait for the more permanent upload to come about?

I too have been spying on this thread for quite some time.

In fact, it's been two weeks without any sign from Bob Evans. I'm beginning to think the Compuserve ISO will never make it to the Internet.

Nemark said:

Still no sign of this ISO? Is there anyway it could be uploaded onto some temporary storage site like Mediafire or something just so it gets out into the wild in the hands of some people while we wait for the more permanent upload to come about?

Did you read the thread? Evans's home connection isn't fast enough to make uploading it via any conventional method feasible.

Something I'd like to suggest but it may be too late would be to split the ISO into several parts (any proper zip utility can do that), like ten 60-megs files instead of one 600 megs file. Then they can be uploaded one at a time, on different days. Other people can download these files. Once all the parts are there, the ISO can be extracted from the whole and uploaded to archive.org by someone with a fast connection.

kmxexii said:

Did you read the thread? Evans's home connection isn't fast enough to make uploading it via any conventional method feasible.

From what I understand, he was saying the increased net traffic in his area from the winter storm was causing his internet to slow down. Is that winter storm still an issue?

Even then, he said it would take 10+ hours to upload in those conditions. That could easily happen over a night while sleeping. His main issue with a hosting site like Mediafire was that it seemed temporary.

Gez said:

In fact, it's been two weeks without any sign from Bob Evans. I'm beginning to think the Compuserve ISO will never make it to the Internet.

Hey, let's not get impatient. I'm sure Bob will get it uploaded as soon as he can. For reference, it's still very cold here on the US east coast.

Nemark said:

Yeah, Bob's made it clear the problem is with his Internet connection. Speaking from experience, Internet Archive has a very fast connection: if it's going to take a long time to upload there it certainly isn't going to be any faster to "Mediafire".

I'm prepared to wait another 14 years, if I have that many left in me. ;)

Zed said:

And while we wait, somebody uploaded Maximum Doom.

And everyone's downloading Doom + Accessories, don't know what so special about it to warrant 15k downloads in the last week.

Gez said:

Something I'd like to suggest but it may be too late would be to split the ISO into several parts (any proper zip utility can do that), like ten 60-megs files instead of one 600 megs file.

I did that once with an 80MB database when on dialup, still took forever to upload but only one or two failed and had to be re-done.

Another suggestion: burn it to a CD and post it to a trusted soul with a good connection for them to upload. I've done that before.

IMHO screw the ISO -- the fact that Bob Evans and most of the 'lost'
Odessa series have shown up after all these years has made this old Doomer a happy man.

machoman127 said:

IMHO screw the ISO -- the fact that Bob Evans and most of the 'lost'
Odessa series have shown up after all these years has made this old Doomer a happy man.

It's certainly a bit disappointing that we haven't heard from Bob in a few weeks now. I'm still hopeful he'll pull through though, and yes, at least we have Odessa now.

Enjay said:

Another suggestion: burn it to a CD and post it to a trusted soul with a good connection for them to upload. I've done that before.

I'm located on the US East Coast and would be happy to do this.