Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

Bah humbug

You know something, as I've gotten older, Christmas has really lost a lot of its shine. I don't mean to be cynical or bleak, but realistic. It just has. Twenty years ago at this time, I was more or less beside myself with anticipation. Now at thirty one, I just don't give a fuck about Christmas. Quite frankly, it's just another day of the year to me.
Tell me I'm not the only person here who has this view on Christmas.

Oh and I forgot to mention, my grandpa left this world right around this time in 2010.

Well, I'm not really into celebrations of any kind, and that includes my birthday. Besides, I'm an atheist, so Christmas really has no meaning for me. That doesn't mean I don't celebrate at all, I mean, most of my family does, and obviously I do it too, it's not like I'm some kind of Grinch or something. That said, it's a good excuse to get along with family and friends.

EDIT: What is "Bah Humbug"?

baronofheck82 said:

Now at thirty one, I just don't give a fuck about Christmas. Quite frankly, it's just another day of the year to me.

Christmas is not the same when you can buy your own toys.

baronofheck82 said:

This is probably the least hyped I've been over Christmas, and I'm only 16.
Wasn't long ago I couldn't get to sleep on the 24th because I was that excited.
I miss it.

I don't like Christmas either. To me, it's the time of the year when I get together with a bunch of people that hate my guts and let me know how I'm not perfect like them. UGH. I think next year I'll go on a trip somewhere, preferably far away from them.

I have a renewed joy for Christmas, because I've found so much pleasure in getting friends and family gifts, or making them gifts, even if it's stressful. Despite the fact that I was recently laid off and have been making insubstantial money doing freelance work, I go out of my way to get things for the loved ones in my life, or even just other coworkers. I dunno. I still really like this time of year. It helps that I watch very little TV or hollywood movies or listen to the radio, so I'm spared shitloads of bad Christmas media.

I'm almost in exactly the same boat as Goatlord: the way I see it, Christmas is a good excuse to get nice things for people, get nice things yourself and that's about it. On a side note, all the Christmas songs being blasted on the radio are starting to piss me off.

On a side note, all the Christmas songs being blasted on the radio are starting to piss me off.

It'll all go away pretty soon, hopefully. This is probably the one thing I don't like about not Christmas, but December as a whole.

Then again, why listen to the radio?

As far as my overall Christmas opinion, it's okay. I at least get something every year.

Sorry, Christmas is the shizznit and you're just not gonna take that away from it. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be sipping on this glass of St. Bernardus Christmas Ale and spinnin' my copy of "Fairytale of New York"

I kinda feel the same way, honestly. I guess there's a little excitement in being with the family, though even that seems a little less special since I moved back home recently anyway (result of an extended illness, wrote about it in the blog section). Not to knock being with my family or anything, it's great since normally I hardly ever get to see them. Funny thing is, I'm not even really that excited over gifts. Like, people ask me what I want, I don't really have an answer. Well, I shouldn't complain, it just seems like Christmas just doesn't feel as special this year. And yeah, I admit, I'm an atheist too, so it doesn't really hold any religious significance for me, but that doesn't mean I'm just going to ignore it as a holiday. The traditions and rituals still are important to me even if I'm not a part of the beliefs that created them.

I hate this time of year with a passion. Not because I have something against the holidays. Because if what it does to people. This self centered, materialistic shit really needs to stop. Your life is not going to end if you don't get that new ipod you want and you are not a bad parent because you where not able to buy that hunk of plastic your kid wanted. If anything your a bad parent for feeding your child's materialistic and self-centered behavior. The fact that every year we hear about some one being killed or stomped to death over something no one really needs in the first place, really pisses me off. People should be thankful for what they have and spend as much time with their family and friends as they can. That's what this time of year is about.

Satyr000 said:

People should be thankful for what they have and spend as much time with their family and friends as they can. That's what this time of year is about.

I beg to differ. This is what life is all about.

Welcome to adulthood.

EDIT: Obligatory:-

EDIT2: My Dad departed from this world around this time of year in 1998. I guess some of us might have a psychologically deeper contempt for Christmas than your typical Scroogeist.

It's the 24th and so far I've gotten nor given gifts.
It feels kinda good that Christmas means nothing as of now.

I haven't given nor received either but it's worse since my pension currently goes into my parents account and they owe me so much money already and they wont even give me my share of it while they still get the board on top of it.

Snakes said:

Sorry, Christmas is the shizznit and you're just not gonna take that away from it. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be sipping on this glass of St. Bernardus Christmas Ale and spinnin' my copy of "Fairytale of New York"

Only a character from a rocking Christmas movie would say this. And I agree. Humbugs need to chill out and see this as an opportunity to cook up a feast and get pissed on quality beers and whiskeys. And force yourself to be with those who matter to you. Feliz navidad!

Edit: my grandma left this world just before Christmas, and she would want nothing more but for us to keep up the Christmas tradition. Better than sitting on your arse moaning about life, really.

My problem is probably that I haven't watched enough christmas films. Why the fuck have I not seen Elf this year.

baronofheck82 said:

Quite frankly, it's just another day of the year to me.

Yeah... same here. It's nothing more than a bonus weekend where I just stuff my face and get pissed again.

Merry Christmas from SouthEast Australia to Doomworld's resident grinches. I'm too old and cynical to enjoy Christmas but try not to spoil things for others.

GreyGhost said:

Merry Christmas from SouthEast Australia to Doomworld's resident grinches. I'm too old and cynical to enjoy Christmas but try not to spoil things for others.

DO IT FOR THE CHILDREN!!

Snakes said:

here here Snakes. Whilst I'm not a child any-more, I do see the sentimental feelings that the holiday brings. Now I'm in a full time job it really stands out. I just want to spend time with those I care about and just relax for a few days. That being enjoying good food, good booze and good company. Oh and fairytale of New York is by far the best Christmas song out there.

Holiday enjoyment depends on your social success I guess, like I have no friends so obviously I can't do anything interesting besides a simple family dinner but if I had a girlfriend, boyfriend or even just a regular friend, it would be a good time to do something exciting and a little unusual in our relationship. Well, maybe even alone I can try something a bit extreme like a 24 hour non-stop hentai manga marathon. Had this idea for a while, I just don't know when I'll be alone at home for a full day.

Memfis said:

Holiday enjoyment depends on your social success I guess, like I have no friends so obviously I can't do anything interesting besides a simple family dinner but if I had a girlfriend, boyfriend or even just a regular friend, it would be a good time to do something exciting and a little unusual in our relationship. Well, maybe even alone I can try something a bit extreme like a 24 hour non-stop hentai manga marathon. Had this idea for a while, I just don't know when I'll be alone at home for a full day.

doomworld.txt

I'm quite surprised no one mentioned having to sit through church on the eve of Christmas, cause that just happened to me now.

Heh, my parents would drag me to midnight mass, but my ailment/temporary disability would probably serve as a "get out of jail free" card this year. Actually, I'm not sure if they're even going to midnight mass this year. Seems like my parents have kind of eased up on that sort of thing as they've gotten older. Church used to be a big deal in my family, but I don't think anyone's even gone to church at all in the time since I've moved back home. I mean, it's fine with me, being an atheist and all I don't have to feel all awkward about it, but the rest of my family is very much not atheist, so it's kinda weird.