Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Fellowzdoomer

BAT Programming question.

Being android limited at this time, I got aDosBox and 920 text editor. I recently learned that bat was a programming language, so I tried creating a text based rpg. However, it skips the "set /p choice" line and goes to the line under it!

And it does this to any other bat games too.

Is it me, or is it DosBox?

First, DOSBox emulates the OS itself, not the command line interpreter (command.com). On that point, it is probably limited to a subset of DOS commands ca. DOS 6.22, nothing newer. Some of the script-like features that allow .bat files to be nearly the equal of Unix shell scripts were not added before Windows XP or even Windows Vista. (See also the difference between command.com, cmd.exe, and Windows Powershell.)

Secondly, really, you're much better off using an actual programming language rather than a batch command script. If you want the DOS-era newbie to programming experience, look into running qbasic within DOSBox.

Batch files are not a programming language. I highly recommend learning a real programming language - Python is a good choice for a first language and I'm sure there must be options for using it on tablets by now.

Fellowzdoomer said:

Means I'm android limited.

I don't know what is Android Limited, sounds like a company. :p

Even if you're limited to using the Android system on some crappy mobile device, you did mention using DOSBox on it. DOSBox can run QBasic. I'm pretty sure whatever hardware there is in your Android system is more powerful than an Amstrad PC1512, on which I ran QBasic and coded some shitty games based on code published in a "learn to program" series from a science magazine of the time.

Or Borland C, which means you can code Wolf3D! You'd likely need a better keyboard. Good luck hunting for a satisfactory keyboard app.

No, Borland C is not DOSBox. DOSBox is DOSBox, and Borland C is an old-ass C compiler that runs under DOS. DOSBox emulates DOS. Therefore, it is possible to run Borland C inside DOSBox.

Same for QBasic, by the way.

Fellowzdoomer said:

Im now using qbasic,

Sigh.

but nobody answered my question. Im gonna say it's DosBox.

Yes they did, you just ignored the answer.