Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Unregistered account

Visplane errors.

Guest Unregistered account

Ever since I moved on from Doom95 to Chocolate Doom (for testing vanilla levels I made), a lot of the maps I've made in the past are suddenly throwing visplane errors at me all the time. It's not like they're Gothic DM detailed or massively open (at all) but the problem remains:

R_findplane: No more Visplanes
Funnily enough, it only occurs on Ultra Voilence (in the latest wad I saw it on, at least). Can I fix these errors by simply changing the nodebuilder, or will I have to severely tone down the detail?

And yes, I know what causes a visplane overlow.

I guess nobody took heed of the fact this must mean Doom 95 has a higher visplane limit. I mean, that is kind of interesting isn't it? Has anybody ever mentioned that before?

The wiki says - "It has a slightly higher visplane limit than the original Doom, allowing more complicated maps."

I've seen that line parroted elsewhere without an actual limit being quantified, so maybe a bit of reverse engineering is in order.

Indeed, it's been stated in several places that Doom95 has a slightly higher visplane limit than Vanilla Doom.

Though something else I've read, is that the screen resolution it's ran in can have an impact (with lower resolutions being able to handle a little more). How is this?

Vermil said:

Though something else I've read, is that the screen resolution it's ran in can have an impact (with lower resolutions being able to handle a little more). How is this?

My guess would be that the lower resolution really can't handle more, but that that the problem causing elements are just not discernable because of the lower resolution. But that'd also mean that the Doom engine would use the resolution to decide what to draw and what not, is that even true?

[edit] Might also be of importance:

Some source ports handle 4:3 screen modes incorrectly. An example is Doom 95, which renders the screen in 640x480 mode without any correction for the different aspect ratio. This leads to an expansion of the vertical viewable area. The result is that the player can see more when running in 640x480 mode than in 320x200 or 640x400 mode.

Source: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio#Different_aspect_ratios