Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Editing my first DECORATE script, what do you edit with?

Editing with SLADE is a bit annoying for me because 2/3rds of the screen are taken up by wad list and contents (can be shrunk down I know) but are there any text editors in particular that are your choice for something like this? I'm thinking of notepad++ but was wondering if there was one that made editing as easy as possible - keeping in mind that it's easy for me to lose track of what I'm meant to be doing due to all this being new to me.

So... you don't really want to use the best two options available? I don't know why you wouldn't use SLADE; you're editing the lump directly and save time on repetitive dicking around importing the same text file over and over again.

PROTIP: Right-click a line in Notepad++ to mark it.

BaronOfStuff said:

So... you don't really want to use the best two options available? I don't know why you wouldn't use SLADE; you're editing the lump directly and save time on repetitive dicking around importing the same text file over and over again.

PROTIP: Right-click a line in Notepad++ to mark it.

Hadn't considered the convenience of SLADE.

invictius said:

Editing with SLADE is a bit annoying for me because 2/3rds of the screen are taken up by wad list and contents (can be shrunk down I know)

Shrink it down. In my SLADE, 1/6 of the screen is covered by file list, 1/3 by wad content list and the remaining 1/2 by the text editor/image viewer field. I usually don't need wider text editor, but whenever I do, I just shrink the file list or the content list temporarily.

I wouldn't wan't to edit DECORATE and similar lumps anyhow else than directly in the wad, using SLADE. Unless I'm working with .pk3, then I use simple notepad.

A tip: double clicking a text lump will open said lump in its own tab and will make the text editor's window cover the whole width of SLADE's window.

Blue Shadow said:

A tip: double clicking a text lump will open said lump in its own tab and will make the text editor's window cover the whole width of SLADE's window.

This, and also it is quite hard not to acknowledge this, since sometimes you accidentally can double-click a lump when you just wanted to select it

invictius said:

...keeping in mind that it's easy for me to lose track of what I'm meant to be doing due to all this being new to me.

So that's it. Just take more time to get used to edit stuff in SLADE, that's all.