Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
William Blazkowicz

If you worked at ID and where in charge of making a new monster, what would it be?

RAT: 10 x 10 size, when punch the player actually kicks, and the rat flies across the room. Can be killed with one shot, or 4 kicks.
Low aggressiveness.
Not dangerous until get 10 or more in a room, then they get brave.

CEILING_HANGER: Hangs on the ceiling. Drops to the floor when provoked.
Only attacks if player is within 10 units.
Otherwise it will find a wall and climb back up to the ceiling.

GOO SLUG: Wanders about leaving a sticky trail. If player steps in trail it is sticky like Boom friction mud.
May make a sticky net to catch prey.
Very very slow.
May try to eat player, given a chance.
Hard to kill, has no vital spots.

What monster would I implement? Either of these:

• Scamp. An imp strength enemy who is able to climb walls and ceilings. He spits poison at you, and up close he tries to suffocate you by spewing a cloud of his poisonous breath.
  • Medusa. Strength somewhere between imp and demon. Doesn't throw projectiles. When she enters her attack state, looking at her causes you damage. As long as she is in your field of view, you take heavy damage. If you look somewhere else, but you are still in her field of view, you take just a slight damage. Hiding behind a corner will make her abort this attack and continue chasing you.
  • Undead. Dark (or dark red) skinned zombie. Creeps out from ground in outdoor areas. Has no weapon, moves normally fast but has enormous HP. Attacks with fists, dealing high damage. As you keep shooting it, it gets more and more decomposed, sometimes falls down and quickly raises again, and continues chasing you still with the same enthusiasm. Until it finally falls dead.
  • Dragon. Something like a pinky demon with wings and capable of flying. Flies with a constant forward momentum, needing to do a circle when he wants to turn back. Can also land on ground and chase you pinky demon style. Up close uses his fire breath (limited range).
  • Metasoul. Small lost soul. Very weak, averagely fast. Does not charge or anyhow distantly attack. Shines and keeps making constant distinct noise while flying your direction. You must not let it to touch you, because upon one touch it zombifies you. First you scream for a long time, then the camera changes to third person view and shows how your marine takes down helmet and becomes a zombie.
  • Dark imp. Throws metasouls (monster described above), no more explanation needed. :)
  • Sabre. Giant demonic centipede skeleton. High HP. Body composed of many parts, each with a pair of limbs. Therefore it's rather long, not a fixed-radius enemy. Moves in a wavy pattern like a caterpillar, while making scary noise. Can climb walls and ceilings. Any of it's limbs can throw (hellknight's) fireballs towards you. When attacks, it stops only for a very short while.
  • Archmage. Armored archvile with a magic staff. Twice the archvile's health. Several attacks. First, casting fire at your position (but the fire remains at that position and don't follow you if you sidestep). Second, spawning monsters from hell (like Doom 3 archvile). Third, telekinesis, capability of remote throwing surrounding things (map decoration, other monsters, his staff) at you. Also he can summon an energy shield in front of him, you'd need to attack him from another direction then.
  • Warlord. Dark armored baron of hell. Twice baron's health. A part of his armory is a long and heavy chain, which he can use as a whip against you. Plus he can throw high-damaging fireballs.
  • The Satan. The ruler of Hell, and the ultimate boss. Demonic being wholy made of fire or some kind of energy. Apparently has a supreme control of any kind of matter and energy in Hell. Can change his own shape and size at will, and manipulate with his surroundings anyhow. In game it means, he can telekinetically throws things at you, make the sector in which you're standing in to crush you, summon all kinds of hellspawn, set fire around you, burn you using his own body when leaping at you. Depending on the situation he will transform in either a giant or a human sized being. He can pass through walls. Immune to any damage except the BFG. Very very tough, making for a several minute battle at least.
I know I was probably supposed to mention one monster. The OP requested creativity though, that's why I wrote so much. Maybe I'll inspire somebody.
Spoiler

To be honest, I was able to think off so many because a longer time ago I was thinking about monster ideas. Particularly what I'd like to see in Doom 4. Never wrote them anywhere. Who asks for it, anyway? Only now I decided to share a bit of my thoughts. I still plan to realize at least some of them in ZDoom one day. But as I know myself, it likely won't happen.

codeslicer: I know. I can't always think off good names. But I also described behaviours and they're different than in Skulltag or Doom 3.

Also I would like to note you, codeslicer, that you're behaving quite irritatingly. You already showed it several times today. These your comments correcting other people with no further meaning can't make you many friends, even if you mean it good. I however don't want to offend you and to be bad on you. I say this just to warn you, so you are aware of the fact your behaving may not be comfortable with everyone. Nothing else, really, I apologize for being this sincere and please don't offend.

scifista42, very nice list! Some names are not brilliant (darkimp, maggot), but it's not problem to change it.

Very good ideas for [G]Z[andronum]Doom mods.

A baphomet isn't related to hell, and it's head looks of a sabbatic goat, not a demonicly mutated monstrosity.

If you worked at ID and where in charge of making a new monster, what would it be?

Quite probably this dude. Or basically, almost everything that Wayne Barlowe or Zdzislaw Beksinski have ever done

Dual pistol zombieman.
Dual Shotgun shotgun guy
More wolfenstein characters to be put inside the secret maps.
Inspector Imp: Will take a lighter out of his thumb and will spit his spit and when he hits you, you'll burn for a few seconds, stepping at water should help.
An improved Hell Knight: Will have a helmet and will not have abs, will attack with two separate energy slime balls in two directions.
Sticky souls(Anomaly souls) : Will try to bash at you, when he hits you, he'll stick to you no matter how and will take 5% every 3 seconds, if he gets your back you'll have to squeeze the Anomaly soul between you and a wall or punch it if it gets above your head.
March-Pile: Will run into you and will burn you like an arch-vile and if he gets your back you'll have to bash your back into a wall.
Splashatron: same like the arachtron but this time hes plasma balls will have splash damage.
Bancubus: Wields two shotguns and behaves like a mancubus.
Tacodemon: A yellow caco that will try to jump into you.(inspired by some yellow monster in keen dreams)
Painbaker: Will charge 5 lost souls into you, each attack needs 5 seconds to be made.
Minicyb : A small and weaker Cyberdemon that will shoots 3 rockets into 3 directions
SpyderFasterFind : A smaller and weaker SMM that stab you in the back if it's available.
Flamal : A bright red demon that will make a long attack using it's long-FlameCoated-tongue that will burn you For 6 seconds

scifista42 & joe-ilya said:

stuff

A lot of those monster ideas (especially the simpler ones like tougher/recolored versions of existing enemies) are already implemented in some form in the Doom Bestiary, sometimes with spot-on accuracy. Now some, like caterpillar enemies, would be a PITA to implement through scripting, let alone through ordinary coding, unless they added a ton of hacks to the already existing ones.

And speaking of the Bestiary, there already are a lot of ugly abominations there, like a cyberdemon-sized deformed mancubus, a flying mancubus, or even more disgusting cacodemon derivatives.

And since we're also talking about "improved" Hell Knights...there's nothing more improved than the Doom: Rampage Edition's "Baron of Hell", which can also use weapons and run as fast as the player *grin*

This is a great thread, both in concept and in content.

I have come up with a few concepts for boss monsters:

Cyberdemon 2.0 - Looks like an enhanced cyberdemon, probably a different color to easily differentiate it from a standard cyber. It has more hit points and additional weapons: a plasma gun that functions the same as an arachnotron's, which is mounted on the top of the cyber's rocket launcher, and mounted on its shoulders are revenant-style homing missile launchers. The idea here is to make it so you can't just circle-strafe it while continuously firing, forcing you to create more complex strategies.

Fallen Angel - One of the Devil's high ranking officers, and a final boss-type monster. Although it looks like an angel, tall, human in appearance, and with dove-white wings, it is extremely powerful, with enough hit points to make the BFG the only option, and even then you should be prepared for a long, hard fight. It can fire fast-moving projectiles that do a good amount of damage, swipe at you with a magic sword for even MORE damage when you get too close (melee attack), and cause ground level shockwaves that cause more damage than the standard projectile (but less than melee attack), although they travel slower. It can also resurrect any monster. It spends most of the time on the ground, but can also fly if you try to get above it. It moves quite fast and sometimes likes to charge at you to get in a melee attack. It even occasionally taunts you via on-screen messages.

Sorry to be unoriginal, but the chaingun Arachnotron from the Bestiary seems like a good inclusion.

I'd probably have invented a large boss monster somewhere between the Cyberdemon and Spiderdemon in health. It would have probably focused on close assault doing massive damage, with a low or nonexistent pain chance to prevent bogging it down with bullets or plasma. It would be more cybernetic than the other bosses and would move faster than most monsters. It would have a loud, scary roar like tearing metal, something that would frighten the player. It would also be blind. Yeah I know this sounds something like that monster from Doom 3.

I'd have given it a ranged attack which it used rarely, something like the Mancubus fireball with blast damage.

scifista42 said:

codeslicer: I know. I can't always think off good names.

For a moment, I though this was your monster, and it would slice the codes of the game, breaking game behavior randomly and occasionally crashing it, if not killed quickly.