Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Avoozl

Things about Quake you just found out

Since the ongoing thread "Things about Doom you just found out" and whilst playing Quake recently I thought why not start up a Quake version of that thread.

I just found out a single shot from the Super Nailgun costs twice as many nails as the regular Nailgun, it's surprising since I never noticed until now.

Did you know that...

...the biosuit slows down lava damage?
...Shamblers only take half as much damage from rockets and grenades?
...Chthon will throw his lava balls backward on hard skill if you run towards him just as he's about to throw?
...you can shoot the nailguns from the intermission screen when holding down the fire button as you walk into the exit?
...Spike mines (missionpack 1) take a certain amount of damage from all weapons, but explode from a single nail?
...when goblins (missionpack 1) slash around a monter's corpse long enough, another goblin will spawn?

that despite being pretty much a souped up version of doom, there doesn't appear to be any slaughter maps for it. (there's probably a reason for this, while will come in another thing i just found out post)

that despite being pretty much a souped up version of doom, there doesn't appear to be any slaughter maps for it. (there's probably a reason for this, while will come in another thing i just found out post)

I think that's exactly it, it's a souped up version of Doom. Slaughter maps rely on monsters being slow and manipulable.

It's a lot harder to deal with a few fiends than even a hundred demons. Vores could teach revenants some lessons when it comes to tracking missiles. Even in medium numbers, ogres are too unpredictable with their bouncing grenades (and they seem to roughly compare to HKs, in terms of role in the cast). You've only got three monsters shooting simple projectiles at the player, always faster than an imp fireball, often in multiples. Then you've got the Shambler, which is an AV + baron rolled into one; the Spawn, which is a Lost Soul and a Barrel at once...

Overall Quake's monster cast just seems too powerful for anything but skirmishes. Plus, you've got no BFG. ;)

Also, from what little about Quake modding I've understood, Quake had much stricter limits than Doom wrt. amount of active actors at the same time; i.e. Quake would never accept to have 1000 monsters in a map. People more knowledgeable than me about Quake, feel free to contradict me.

Things about Quake I've just found out: that there's a thread about it on a Doom forum.

Quake still doesn't have HD or achievements. Sad.

The Pentagram of Protection gives you invulnerability, but your armor still takes damage and could be gone by the time the Pentagram ends.

I posted this one in the "things you found out about Doom" thread, but I'll post it here too: the countdown timers for Megahealths stack, so if you grab a second while an earlier one is counting down, you'll find that 200+ HP counting down twice as fast. Grab a third, it'll take away 3HP at once; a fourth, 4HP; a fifth, 5HP; ...; an nth, nHP.

Infirnex said:

The Pentagram of Protection gives you invulnerability, but your armor still takes damage and could be gone by the time the Pentagram ends.

I've always kinda liked that. It's turning you, your organic self, invincible. Not some artificial shell your wearing. Wading through lava then coming out butt naked is actually kind of believable.

Shadow Hog said:

I posted this one in the "things you found out about Doom" thread, but I'll post it here too: the countdown timers for Megahealths stack, so if you grab a second while an earlier one is counting down, you'll find that 200+ HP counting down twice as fast. Grab a third, it'll take away 3HP at once; a fourth, 4HP; a fifth, 5HP; ...; an nth, nHP.

I counter this point with the knowledge that your health caps at 250 (in Quake 1; 200 in both 3 and 4). That 50 will drain faster, but past that it's normal.

If Beta3 counts:

The Well of Wishes was originally in the start map.

Shub-Niggurath's Pit was completely replaced in the last two weeks of development. (McGee's maps are in a horribly unfinished state too.)

Also that the Beta3 menu/console font was used in v0.91 shareware. It was replaced with the final font in v1.00.

Infirnex said:

I counter this point with the knowledge that your health caps at 250 (in Quake 1; 200 in both 3 and 4). That 50 will drain faster, but past that it's normal.

And I counter that with the fact that I made a custom map just to look further into this, back then, putting a good 7 or so Megahealths right next to each other so I could pick each one up once I went under 250. The increased decay for each one held all the way from 250 to 100. It didn't magically return to 1HP/sec when I hit 200.

Obviously, few maps worth their salt will put 7 megahealths right next to each other like that, but regardless, that's what happened.

Yeah, I wonder if Sandy did it, on both accounts.

I think I like it better than the final map, I wish they just touched up the visuals a little and got the telefrag working. It's probably too easy for a final map too, especially with all the megahealths, the pentagram, and quad damage Quake Power.

40oz said:

I think it's time for me to dust off the ol' trenchbroom and try to make a slaughter map for quake

That Cthon can be killed with one shot with a modded weapon, but Shub cannot. You can blow her off her island though with a nuke missile. So if you fired 10000,0000,0000 nails at Cthon you could possibly kill him. Wonder how much HP he has though.

Dragonsbrethren said:

videos

I never played the betas. I spy what looks like the Doom teleport flash sprite when the player teleports.

Wow, the beta Shub-Niggurath level looked like Doom E1M8 with that nukage ceiling. Same shtick reused; no wonder it got scrapped. The bad thing is that the final version looks like an afterthought.

negke said:

...Spike mines (missionpack 1) take a certain amount of damage from all weapons, but explode from a single nail?

Are you sure I've been playing through missionpack 1 and its been taking more than one nail to take them down

neubejiita: Chthon can only be killed with the lightning rods. Therefore his HP is 1 on easy and 3 on normal/hard. Maybe one could say it would roughly translate to 1000 and 3000 HP in normal terms.

sgt dopey: I never noticed this myself until recently when I read about it somewhere and thought "this can't be right". Then tried it, and indeed it works.

As for the lack of slaughtermaps, it's really like Phml says. Quake isn't really as suited for this kind of gameplay as Doom. If you're looking for something that comes close to the concept, I suppose the later maps by Tronyn would be worth checking out.