Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vdgg

Notable 2013 Demos

"Notable 2012 Demos" Thread

Sorry, I really wasn't following all the demos nor taking notes this year, so no suggestions from me; I'd like to know your picks, though. In general, I felt like 2013 was a STEEP decline in demosharing activity, though I remember a few bright points: Death-Destiny maps covered, a ridiculous amount of Plutonia UV Runs (really, any full run always gains my respect) and some C-N French Co-op. Leaving for the moment and making room for your posts :)

well you already pretty much mentioned my favorites, the DD demos:
- disturbia in 38:21 by anc
- abyssion in 12:58 by nev
- dr2008_11 in 24:10 by j4

other demos I liked:
- s2_29 in 14:00 by j4
- sod_18 in 6:22 by plut

there were a couple others that I forget if they were in '13 or not, like anc's 32inchnails_05, or dv05.

I'll go forth and do some shameless selfadvertising because I keep only my demos on HD. I'll try digging through DSDA sometime to cover the rest.

av25-1613 (just too darn lucky infights in first half and I actually didn't screw up second half)
av18-946 (I really like how it turned out even though it's easy map)
c402-213 (disgustingly lucky)
c411-1655 (tolerable demo of menacing map for max from just about any perspective)
csky-3042 (probably my fave demo, map is only hard to remember but not much otherwise)
et09-922 (admittedly, et03-948 turned out notably slicker but it's much more hospitable map to max than et09, 9 out of 10 times something in last part stays alive)
s223-905 (I think all three s2 jungle maps I recorded turned out fine, but this one was particularly difficult compared to probably all other s2 maps)
s230-736 (I made up a route with abysmally low survival chances, so I was especially glad that one time I finally made it through I also had infight luck with stationary afrits that would otherwise waste a lot of time)

My dbimpact demos were totally snubbed last year and I've poured my soul into them, so you can burn all in hell. My sub-20 rjspace9f demo will go equally unrecognized.

dew said:

My dbimpact demos were totally snubbed last year and I've poured my soul into them, so you can burn all in hell.

I think that general enthusiastic approach to demos you can find in any ancient demo threads is somewhat... gone. At least it seems so.

dew said:

My dbimpact demos were totally snubbed last year and I've poured my soul into them, so you can burn all in hell. My sub-20 rjspace9f demo will go equally unrecognized.

thats what you get not sharing dooming girl pics!!1 :D
wtf is dbimpact anyway, ill look into them then. cus i like you nonetheless :3

edit: some levels are cool but doom1 always looks weird for me nowadays

Honestly having a hard time coming up with many demos I'd consider truly notable (at least, none that weren't already mentioned).

There were a number of demo packs completed this year, though the Whitemare and DTWID demo packs I didn't look at since I'm not very familiar with the WADs, though they seemed to receive a decent amount of initial activity, which died down fairly quickly. Both didn't seem to be very active at all by 2013. The Eternally Yours demo pack didn't go very well at all. The -nomonsters demo packs received quite a good deal of activity, but the latest one hasn't been doing so well either, it seems.

There were also a number of TAS projects started that are still unfinished (one of them being mine).

However, I can't think of many single demos that really stand out of all the demos made this year. I think I agree with vdgg that there hasn't been much demo activity this year (although I haven't been in the community long enough to make a solid judgment).

I think Paska had only map14 built this year from doom2 (and no01x440 but not sure if he sent that one). Maybe he'll be more active this year.

I have to admit that I have missed some of dew's notable demos too, but I'm not usually too excited about wads I don't know. Sorry!

whhhooot. I was sure YOU were Paska for some reason, okay. now I feel stupid. I mean your built TAS looper :D

Looper said:

I'm not usually too excited about wads I don't know

Yeah, I'm kind of the same, which means that I miss a lot of demos because I don't play too many wads. Often, for famous megawads, I'll skip through different levels and see if I want to speedrun any of them, but I won't play the entire megawad. I'll admit it's kind of hypocritical of me, though, given how many random, unknown wads I speedrun myself.

Your TASes this year certainly impressed me (as usual), even though there weren't many. However, I don't really consider single-level TASes truly demo-of-the-year notable unless they show some beyond incredible trick or something like that.

I should still actually check out most of the demos in this thread. I did see the Disturbia run, it was great to watch because it's so clearly out of my league (unless I tried for months on end perhaps, although I did finish on HMP with lots of saving and loading).

j4rio I suppose "av" = Alien Vendetta and "et"= Eternal but what are "c", "csky" and "s"? Looking forward to check out your list.

C4 I think is Community Chest 4, csky must be Cyber sky a slaughter map made by Eternal and S2 is Slaughter fest 2012 I do believe.
Edit: Made a typo, named CSky CKY instead, not a fan of their music.

blob1024 said:

whhhooot. I was sure YOU were Paska for some reason

Uh, that's because he is!

Sorry about that... displaying of a fine example of how useless current demonaming convention is.

Memfis said:

Uh, that's because he is!

now im again confused :(
why was he talking of himself in third person then xd

Well, since slaughterfest doesn't look even remotely vanilla compatible AND it looks like a prime candidate for 10+min demos, I don't think it was necessary to go 8-char limit on it. Sorry I wasn't there to propose it. :P

Ribbiks said:

scythe2

Just as I was going to mention that I can't find those demos under Slaugterfest 2012. Thanks.

j4rio said:

Sorry about that... displaying of a fine example of how useless current demonaming convention is.

No sweat.