Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
codeslicer

If you worked at id and were incharge of making a new weapon, what would it be?

Remote explosive C4. Doom has a lot of great opportunities for ambushes and it'd be nice for the player to be on the giving side of things for once. I always thought the Flak Cannon from Unreal was awesome and I'd love to have seen something like that implemented in Doom.

I also think it would've been exciting if an enemy randomly dropped their means of attack (or if gibbed) and the player could use the remaining "ammo." For example, a baron or imp's arm, the revenant or manc's weapons (implemented in Brutal Doom), the spider demon's super chain gun, arachnotron's green plasma rifle, etc...

I think I'd make a centuple-barrel shotgun. People like long games, right? Make the reload animation last about a week for all those barrels, that'll pad the GAME OF THE YEAR ALL YEARS.

I think I'd also implement the BrutalDoomThrower. It launches Brutal Doom and the enemies cower in fear as online discussions take a turn for the suicidally-tedious.

"1337"
Only obtainable using IDFA\IDKFA
When shooting, launches a bunch of fireballs of random enemies.
Oh, and it's your fist with colorful nails.

joe-ilya said:

When shooting, launches a bunch of fireballs of random enemies.
Oh, and it's your fist with colorful nails.

The Alpha BFG The Way It Was Meant To Be? ;-)

Piper Maru said:

How about a rivet shotgun? Turn your enemies into pincushions.

Well, they took that one seriously with Quake's nailgun...so no thanks.

Piper Maru said:

They should implement the Rail Gun.

As in, a gun that shoots railroad rails. If you hit an enemy with two rails, a train (one of those old-fashioned steam trains you'd see in a Coyote & Roadrunner cartoon) runs up the track and splatter it.

I gauss gun!

Maybe a light version that works sort of like the shotgun, but can fire through multiple enemies and armour.....not that Doom monsters have amour, but the thought is there.

Maybe also a heavy type that can fire through walls, does massive damage and can easily gib multiple lesser monsters.....it could get seriously messy and gibby and bloody and sticky and stuff....because I love gore and blood and stuff, it makes me smile :)

*Makes mental note of maybe making a guess gun for Doom*

Crate launcher!

Basically a defensive weapon for when the going gets tough, it can block corridors almost instantly or surround an embattled player with an impenetrable crate fortress in seconds. The crates are also heavy enough to crush lesser monsters that are unfortunate enough to be standing on their spawn spots, and it's not as if you can have too many crates in Doom.

William Blazkowicz said:

A laser gun that shoots a laser beam (red glowing ball) and although it would be 1 1/2x stronger than a pistol, the laser would pass through enemies. And the gun would also fire at the same rate as a pistol and use up 10 cells per shot.

Dangit, thanks to this post, I spent several hours yesterday porting HeXen's Sapphire Wand to ZDoom, then making edits to it. Then I realized I suck at sprite art.

Still, it's a lot of fun.

EDIT: Here's a .pk3 if anyone wants to give it a whirl... Set to replace the Chainsaw (for easy Doom 2 testing).

Some kind of a railgun. There are so many opportunities in Doom to drill through a long row of enemies, gibbing everyone.

Patrol1985 said:

Some kind of a railgun. There are so many opportunities in Doom to drill through a long row of enemies, gibbing everyone.

THIS!!!!

The lamethrower.

Primary fire logs into Doomworld and makes "If you worked at id..." posts in the forum, and secondary fire just makes sarcastic posts about said threads. Lame.

Replace the pistol with a rifle that's perfectly accurate and does as much damage as the shotgun. Remove the shotgun from the game.

Some sort of weapon that was a hell staff; ammo would be floating, bobbing spheres of damned souls, and with it, you could aim at a corpse and revive a monster onto your side. Not sure if it would work with having the monster live indefinitely as long as their hitpoints don't run out again, or be invincible for a short time until the hell magic expires and their animated corpse falls again. Kind of like the second idea better. Oh, and tougher enemies would require more charges to get back up on their feet.

Jayextee said:

The lamethrower.

Primary fire logs into Doomworld and makes "If you worked at id..." posts in the forum, and secondary fire just makes sarcastic posts about said threads. Lame.

Suddenly, I have an idea for the "If you worked at id and wanted to make a new monster..." thread.

Barons of Post Hell.

Piper Maru said:

Is the Plasma Gun in Doom 40 Watt range? Also there should be a Pulse Rifle.

I don't understand any part of this post.. Like, an electro gun...?

schwerpunk said:

I don't understand any part of this post.. Like, an electro gun...?

Sigh...

The phased plasma gun in a 40 watt range is a reference to Terminator lol. Come on now, get your head in the game!

Slug Thrower.. but it would throw out some slimy slugs. They would move slowly on the floor, and when the enemies step on them.. they start shaking their legs back and forth trying to get the slimy slugs off their feet.

Large Trout.. it replaces the fist, and function like the berserk fist, and with berserk, the trout shoots laser beams from its eyes! But then it wants to nibble your hand, so it'll cost some health/armor to shoot.

Also the Crate Launcher, but it will make the monsters get the need to stack them in an organized manner.

Well, most of the (serious) posts seem to verge on some sort of single-shot, heavy-damage hitscan weapon with 100% accuracy. That would boil down into a sniper rifle/magnum type pistol/Express rifle/slug shotgun/railgun etc. with multiple target and/or wall penetration capabilities.

That would be feasible even with vanilla Doom, since a complete line + thing traversal list is compiled everytime a hitscan is fired anyway, so multiple target and wall crossings could be supported, by e.g. losing 25% of the shot's power for each enemy crossed, and 50% for every wall crossed.

Maes said:

Well, most of the (serious) posts seem to verge on some sort of single-shot, heavy-damage hitscan weapon with 100% accuracy. That would boil down into a sniper rifle/magnum type pistol/Express rifle/slug shotgun/railgun etc. with multiple target and/or wall penetration capabilities.

That would be feasible even with vanilla Doom, since a complete line + thing traversal list is compiled everytime a hitscan is fired anyway, so multiple target and wall crossings could be supported, by e.g. losing 25% of the shot's power for each enemy crossed, and 50% for every wall crossed.

Would have no idea how to do that and as I only MOD for Doomsday I don't think that engine supports new weapons yet. Having said that the weapon could be a replacement, but again I don't know if we can override weapon behaviour or not?

Still, if its possible in Doom one way or another that would be pretty sweet! A railgun single shot instagib weapon would just be a blast....with lots of blood and gore

*gets all excited and tingly on the thought*

bcwood16 said:

Would have no idea how to do that and as I only MOD for Doomsday I don't think that engine supports new weapons yet. Having said that the weapon could be a replacement, but again I don't know if we can override weapon behaviour or not?

Still, if its possible in Doom one way or another that would be pretty sweet! A railgun single shot instagib weapon would just be a blast....with lots of blood and gore

*gets all excited and tingly on the thought*

Dude... I don't think you have any idea how easy it is to mod a weapon, especially if all you want to do is change some of its parameters or sprites, and especially-especially if you're doing it for ZDoom (GunLabs tutorial).

I just got into this myself last week for the Sapphire Wand I mentioned above, and now my mind is teeming with various possibilities.