Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sicamore

Zandronum Saturday Night Survival #105 - Doom Episode Replacements

This week, let's play some Ultimate Doom episodes that you've probably never heard of. In the spotlight are Fava Beans, Back 2 Basics, Bedlam, and Crusades, maps that most likely came from a shovelware collection.

IWAD: DOOM.wad
WADs: Fava Beans, Back 2 Basics, Bedlam (beta), Crusades, coopmthru_vanilla, Fuzzball's text colors
What day: Saturday, January 4th, 2013
What time: 18:00 UTC
United Kingdom: 19:00
Russia / Moscow: 22:00
Eastern Time (US): 2:00 PM
Where: Vicious Pariah's servers
More info...

Get Zandronum and check out modern Doom.

WTF at the description. :) Fava and Crusades are classics at this point and B2B is respected by pretty much everyone since it is Espi's work.

The Zandronum survival community seems to be pretty insular, unfortunately, so it is indeed likely a lot of players never heard of these.

EDIT: is that shovelware comment supposed to be a joke? These are HIGHLY regarded works.

Not sure if stupid or underhanded troll getting sweet extra attention. It's zanzan tho...

No, Sica is a nice guy! :) He just didn't know about these wads I guess. Not everyone is as "educated" as some of us here...

First and foremost, I apologize for making the comment sound a bit insulting. The episodes are indeed great and definitely not shovelware. As I was on a morning bus, I fumbled with my phone to make the post, taking into account what I heard earlier from a friend about the wads in question. I usually play and test whatever we decide to play for SNS, but this was a rare moment in which I had to take someone's word for it. They told me the maps looked very old and reminiscent of the mid 90s, so I decided to throw shovelware in there for sake of visualization. I am aware that shovelware actually doubles as not only a collection, but also a rather crappy collection of something, so the word chosen turned out to be a bad choice. I was actually searching D!Zone on Amazon a bit before I made the post, so it probably caught on subconsciously as well.

But regarding the response, what?

dew said:

Not sure if stupid or underhanded troll getting sweet extra attention. It's zanzan tho...

It's a mistake, and even though I may be representing "zanzan" by making this post, I am not a troll nor stupid. I make posts every week about both ZDaemon Sessions and SNS, and it should be evident that I'm at least serious most of the time. No need to generalize me with Zandronum's stereotypical reputation that is so popular within the older community.

Now obviously you are Dew and I am Sicamore. You are respected (and have been recognized by me and others) as being a prominent Doomer for years. This counterpost probably looks silly; but I thought I would still make it clear that harshness is unneeded for mistakes.

You admitted your mistake, I'll admit mine - apologizing for it was a nice thing that a stereotypical zantard wouldn't do. :)

dew said:

You admitted your mistake, I'll admit mine - apologizing for it was a nice thing that a stereotypical zantard wouldn't do. :)

:)